what oil to run?

• 2 weeks later...
:excuseme::confused:.... use shell rotella t 15w40

Rotella is cheap junk you buy from Walmart. If you use it, the next time you change your oil take a good smell of the it. The oil will smell burnt.

I read on here about Rotella and thought what a great deal you can buy the stuff for like $8 a gallon and change it often. That was until my first oil change with the stuff. Now I use what Rotella I have left over in my power washer. I use only Honda oil in my bike. It's the only way to go. Why would you buy a $7200.00 motorcycle and go cheap on the oil? I say if you do you are asking for trouble. Also, I have an 05 CRF450R and 06 CRF250R and have had zero valve issues and ride or race every weekend.

Rotella is cheap junk you buy from Walmart. If you use it, the next time you change your oil take a good smell of the it. The oil will smell burnt.

I read on here about Rotella and thought what a great deal you can buy the stuff for like $8 a gallon and change it often. That was until my first oil change with the stuff. Now I use what Rotella I have left over in my power washer. I use only Honda oil in my bike. It's the only way to go. Why would you buy a $7200.00 motorcycle and go cheap on the oil? I say if you do you are asking for trouble. Also, I have an 05 CRF450R and 06 CRF250R and have had zero valve issues and ride or race every weekend.

First off I didn't spend 7200 dollars on my bike I payed 4,000. Rotella has been proven with great results to work fine in a motorcycle. Maybe its not the best but at the rate oil is supposed to be changed anyways it doesn't really matter. Ive used both in my bike and have seen no better results with either but would rather stick with buying an 8.00 a gallon oil instead of about 8.00 a quart. I haven't experienced any valve issues either.

Does your Honda oil not smell burnt?

Not at all, I have used Torco and the Honda GN4 and both came out (after 3 rides) looking and smelling like new. I am no oil expert but if an oil smells bad it leads me to believe that something isn't right. If you run Rotella give it a try and see what I mean, then try the Honda GN4, Torco or even Amsoil and post what you find out.

First off I didn't spend 7200 dollars on my bike I payed 4,000. Rotella has been proven with great results to work fine in a motorcycle. Maybe its not the best but at the rate oil is supposed to be changed anyways it doesn't really matter. Ive used both in my bike and have seen no better results with either but would rather stick with buying an 8.00 a gallon oil instead of about 8.00 a quart. I haven't experienced any valve issues either.

Do the smell test. Then tell me if you want to trust your $$$$ on the cheap stuff. I'd rather spend the extra $$$$ on my oil which cost $16 a gallon and know that my bike is being taken care of properly then to trust it to Rotella. But if you can't skip that extra Whopper or 6 pack to pay the extra $8 a gallon it's your choice.

Not at all, I have used Torco and the Honda GN4 and both came out (after 3 rides) looking and smelling like new. I am no oil expert but if an oil smells bad it leads me to believe that something isn't right. If you run Rotella give it a try and see what I mean, then try the Honda GN4, Torco or even Amsoil and post what you find out.

I just smelled my rotella oil with about 3-4 good rides and it smells fine. I also smelled some never used rotella and GN4 and they smell the same.

Do the smell test. Then tell me if you want to trust your $$$$ on the cheap stuff. I'd rather spend the extra $$$$ on my oil which cost $16 a gallon and know that my bike is being taken care of properly then to trust it to Rotella. But if you can't skip that extra Whopper or 6 pack to pay the extra $8 a gallon it's your choice.

I already have to pay for 91 fuel which is expensive enough so Ill leave it at that. Im not 21:naughty:

I just smelled my rotella oil with about 3-4 good rides and it smells fine. I also smelled some never used rotella and GN4 and they smell the same.

Then you either:

A. Don't ride hard.

B. Smelt if from simply opening the fill cap. Try it after you change it.

If you race MX or Practice MX then you will be surprised. If you simply play ride around (nothing wrong with that) then Rotella may be okay.

Look, I am not trying to sell anything. I read about Rotella here and am just posting what I've found out about the oil.

Choose what you like. People are funny about oils. They will defend "their oil" as if it were a family member. Me, If I found out that the Rotella worked okay I would hype the stuff. I'd even bet if someone went to my ealier posts that I probably did. That was before I noticed the burnt smell. Sorry, don't take it personal. It's just oil.

Then you either:

A. Don't ride hard.

B. Smelt if from simply opening the fill cap. Try it after you change it.

If you race MX or Practice MX then you will be surprised. If you simply play ride around (nothing wrong with that) then Rotella may be okay.

Look, I am not trying to sell anything. I read about Rotella here and am just posting what I've found out about the oil.

Choose what you like. People are funny about oils. They will defend "their oil" as if it were a family member. Me, If I found out that the Rotella worked okay I would hype the stuff. I'd even bet if someone went to my ealier posts that I probably did. That was before I noticed the burnt smell. Sorry, don't take it personal. It's just oil.

I was at the track saturday. I rode hard for a good 4 hours. I only ride track.

You can run any oil you like. Ill stick with rotella like many other riders on here.:confused: