Regreasing Bearings: Do I have them all?

I have a newish 08 WR 250. I've ridden it 4 times. I've decided to go ahead and regrease all the bearings like people are recommending.

Just wondering how many bearings are on the bike that need servicing from the get go. What I have read about so far:

steering head bearings

wheel bearings

linkage bearings - the "L" piece and the "U" piece

Is that it. On thumperfaq, it talks about doing the swingarm bearings but then it shows pictures of the linkages (the "L" and the "U" pieces). Is there bearings in the swingarm that need to be dealt with?

Also, what about the shock. Is there bearings on the top and bottom of the shock, and if so should I go at these with a new bike?

Thanks.

Tim

I have a newish 08 WR 250. I've ridden it 4 times. I've decided to go ahead and regrease all the bearings like people are recommending.

Just wondering how many bearings are on the bike that need servicing from the get go. What I have read about so far:

steering head bearings

wheel bearings

linkage bearings - the "L" piece and the "U" piece

Is that it. On thumperfaq, it talks about doing the swingarm bearings but then it shows pictures of the linkages (the "L" and the "U" pieces). Is there bearings in the swingarm that need to be dealt with?

Also, what about the shock. Is there bearings on the top and bottom of the shock, and if so should I go at these with a new bike?

Thanks.

Tim

Yes, you need to grease the bearings in the swingarm. And the lower shock bearing needs to be greased as well.

Are the bearings in the swingarm the ones with the "string cheese" or is that stuff in the linkages?

The linkage will have the string cheese. The swingarm bearings shouldn't because they are captive bearings. The needles don't come out.

Also, why not the bearing at the top of the shock, just b/c it's hard to get too?

The top shock bearing is a hemisphereical bearing, and frankly, I don't know how to grease them. But they tend to last, even if they aren't packed with grease, because they aren't exposed to dirt and mud as much as the lower bearing is.

The linkage will have the string cheese. The swingarm bearings shouldn't because they are captive bearings. The needles don't come out.

So when cleaning the swingarm bearings, do I just spray cleaner in there ( like brake cleaner) and wipe out the old grease, and jam some new grease in there?

Check out my web site, I have write-ups for greasing my 06 YZ250F (see the grease links) and for greasing my 02 WR250F. Yes, you do need to grease the swingarm, clean it out as best you can then stuff grease in there. Use waterproof grease and grease your bike at least once a year. Depending on how much you ride in mud and water, you may need to grease it more often. Don't forget to grease the bolt for the rear break pedal too.

I Just responded to a fellow how to grease the shock bearings. Yes they should be greased. Everything should be greased with something like Belray waterproff grease. Also stuff gerease in the wheelbearing seals. The bearings are sealed but the grease will stop water from reaching the bearings. For the shock see the posting for help with shock bearings

Check out my web site, I have write-ups for greasing my 06 YZ250F (see the grease links) and for greasing my 02 WR250F. Yes, you do need to grease the swingarm, clean it out as best you can then stuff grease in there. Use waterproof grease and grease your bike at least once a year. Depending on how much you ride in mud and water, you may need to grease it more often. Don't forget to grease the bolt for the rear break pedal too.

Thanks a lot AV for the link. Your site is really great. 1 question. I bought Belray waterproof grease to do all the bearings. On your site you say to use Lithium grease on the swingarm pivot shaft. Is lithium grease different than the belray stuff?

Thanks a lot AV for the link. Your site is really great. 1 question. I bought Belray waterproof grease to do all the bearings. On your site you say to use Lithium grease on the swingarm pivot shaft. Is lithium grease different than the belray stuff?

Yes, lithium grease is different stuff - you can get it at any auto parts store.