NASCAR buys AMA Pro Racing!!!

Supercross
I dont know if i read right...but i think i just read that if it werent for some live nation media contract, this new nascar group would have tried to bring outdoor motocross to nascar stadiums. That would be sad, its all about the real tracks, the dust, camping chairs and the portable grill.

I'm with you on that one. Commercialized racing at NASCAR venues??? That sounds retarded. They better not do that.......:thumbsup:

The changes will be, in the end, more of your money INTO their pockeks!

We call it NASCRAP for a reason, now it will have MotoCrapX also.

Everything nowadays is about "advertising dollars", "revenue streams" and

"product deployment".

I like MX the way it is. Still about racing... once the money gets involved it will all be fuXored :thumbsup:

You have a certain point, but consider this.

NASCAR pays drivers and teams "Start Money" just to show up to a race. They also pay anyone that actually qualifies and starts the race. PLUS they pay out as you finished in that race.

You see "back in the day" a large number of drivers figured out that the championship wasn't worth all the traveling. So instead they would just hit the big races and skip the little tracks that were trying to get big.

The problem was that if all the big names never came to those tracks even with a NASCAR race, the fans tended to skip them too. This is why NASCAR started to pay "Start Money". It was a way to gaurantee that you were going to go home with enough money to atleast cover your travel bills. Then if you qualified and finished well, then you actually started to make money!

And this is why NASCAR will be good for motorcycles. Because with this type of system we can have true privateers that can actually survive on just what they make at the races. They might even be able to live at that level for a few years! Which in turn makes the racing better for us because now you have more than 10 factory riders and 30 local guys at a national.

There's many other good reasons but I'll save that for later.

I'm with you on that one. Commercialized racing at NASCAR venues??? That sounds retarded. They better not do that.......:thumbsup:

I hate to say it, but we are already there. Just listen to any podium interview and take note as to how much time is used mentioning sponsors.

At least with NASCAR dollars (big dollars $$), the sponsor will have actually earned the right to hear their name on national TV.

lame, lame.. Maybe they will make a bunch of left turns and sweeping banked corners.. Or even call races because of rain.. I refuse to watch redneck racing..

lame, lame.. Maybe they will make a bunch of left turns and sweeping banked corners.. Or even call races because of rain.. I refuse to watch redneck racing..

That's called "Flat Track", or "Speedway" racing, not Motocross or Supercross, so don't worry.

Here's an excerpt from an article on the news conference that the AMA and DMG held this morning.

"...“I think that it’s important that we find a way to move to true professionalism here. I’ll give you an example: I don’t think that one rider, one bike, a guy getting in a van to race for prize money is professional racing. In other words, the old division used to be that if you made a little more money than you spent, or if you had the potential to make more money than you spent, that was professional racing. Professional is when you leave home and your bills are paid for by a sponsor and you’re representing a company. ..."

This doesn't mean that the privateers are gone. But what it does mean is that everyone will get a larger stake in the money generated at an event. This would include a stake in the TV and video rights. And that would give a non-factory team a shot at being able to buy quality equipment from what they earned at the races.

And at that point the racing will get better and we will all benefit from that! :thumbsup::eek:

I just dont want the tickets to go up like Nascar I dont have the money to go to a nascar race!!

Zig06, if you don't think 1 guy,1 bike,and a beat up box truck is professional raceing you have obviously never heard of Joey Dunlop.

The biggest problem with the AMA is the unfair rules with displacement and distribution of factory part's.

Jordan Suzuki has been fighting this crap for years. The factory team's get the new parts and by the time they will sell them to the private teams they already have a new batch of part's. This means you will never be on top no matter how much money you throw at it,and that is something Jordan dosen't want to hear. The AMA has killed raceing for the little guy and until they fix some of the major problem's it will continue.

When was the last time you saw a privateer on the podium?

Sorry Zig meant That at whoever made the statement you Quoted,not you per say.

I read the annoucement and then read the follow up articles fom the respective parties.

First, I think we can all agree that its a good thing that Youthstream didnt get a hold of AMA racing. These are the folks who had the MX of Nations and couldn't manage to get it on any meaningful TV broadcast. I still haven't seen that race!

Second, I have mixed emotions about Daytona Motorsports Group taking over for the AMA, but as someone already said, "how much worse could it get?"

Well if DMG does try to follow the mold of NASCAR, it will be dissapointing. NASCAR has changed stock car racing with the COT. Spec car racing is not the same as Stock car racing. I hope they dont get to that point with dirt bikes. The discrepancy between red, blue, yellow and green (sorry and orange) is what adds to the competition.

And lets hope they dont initiate some sort of Chase type points system. It has proven successful in NASCAR, but they have a much longer race season, 36 races.

But the good news is AMA SX and MX have long needed better promotion, and the folks in DAytona know how to promote a race. LiveNation has SX, but, as it is, they make it too much like Monster Trucks. BTW their contract is with AMA til 2019, the DMG said they would like to review that contract now that AMA is out of it.

Like it or not, better promotion will lead to a more valuable product which will hopefully bring a better tv package. Maybe we will even get to see races live on tv one day! At least we should be able to expect a consistent broadcast schedule.

I guess we cant know for sure, but I would hope that the AMA at least stated something about preserving the integrity of the sport, so we wont have to worry about excessive left turns and banked turns.

Lastly, this quote from DMG does concern me for privateers:

“I think that it’s important that we find a way to move to true professionalism here. I’ll give you an example: I don’t think that one rider, one bike, a guy getting in a van to race for prize money is professional racing. In other words, the old division used to be that if you made a little more money than you spent, or if you had the potential to make more money than you spent, that was professional racing. Professional is when you leave home and your bills are paid for by a sponsor and you’re representing a company. ..."