Coolant Question

Hi all,

I was wondering how much antifreeze there should be in my dad's DRZ-400 dual sport bike which i am riding. I believe the bike is an '05 model if that matters. The radiator is full but the resevoir down below is empty. I'd really like to make sure I'm doing the right thing before I break my dad's bike. Haha. Should the resevoir also be full? If so, how do i fill it?

No thats just an overflow. You should be fine.

I sort of figured that's what it is because it always fills a little bit once the bike warms up. Thanks

I forget what I did to get some into mine. I think I put one hose into a container and sucked on the other one.

Wait! I sucked on the overflow hose and added coolant to the radiator filler.

I don't like having air in my cooling system. Additionally, the system will expell all the air and top off by doing this. I sarted with about a half cup in the reservoir and now I'm stable at about two tablespoons.

I run just a bit in the old baster when cold, that way I can tell at a glance that my coolant level is fine.

Generally its recomended you run a 50:50 mix of de-mineralised water and anti freeze concentrate in the DRZ. Works for me at least, and gets flushed and changed yearly.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Supermotofool
      I totaled my DRZ400S last year, did a good bit of work to it and finally got it running.. I want to turn this into my full stunt bike.
      I have read before about people buying a 2nd stock rear caliper & bracket - then cutting and welding it to the existing bracket, then just running a handbrake master, and a hose to the 2nd caliper. 
      Has anyone done this before? Defiantly seems to be the cheapest route to go (staying away from the junction valve / 1 master cyl. & 1 caliper setup.)
      Looking for opinions, pros/cons, and info if anyone has gone this route.. If it seems too much of a risk or hassle I guess im gonna have to spend the $500/$600 to get a legitimate setup 
      any and all comments are appreciated - except trolls.. you better be funny as hell if your gonna troll.
      Thank you all!
       - Brad
    • By 148am
      Make an offer, you pay USPS shipping. I want these out of my garage. Used, no damage.
      CST Suspension fork springs to fit 49mm stanchions in '03+ Suzuki DRZ400S, some KTM models, maybe others.
      503 mm length, 33.0 mm ID, 43.3 mm OD, 0.43 spring rate.

• By Markl5557
      Anyone’s air box smell like gas ? Is this normal ? Air filter is bone dry but it reeks in there .... I’m assuming cause of the carb being semi filled with gas ??