which oil?

i serviced my xr400 about 2 weeks ango and since a problem with selecting 3rd and 4th going up the box has become agrevated, to the extent that when its hot it wont go and you have to use your hand to get it to go up?

the clutch also stopped working last weekend, after some hard riding?

i have checked the basket and clutch plates etc, all seems good, i put synthetic oil in it when i changed it and some have said this may be the problem?

any ideas?

thanks,

Go down to the Honda shop and buy The Honda oil in the Black container.

Good old Honda oil is about as good as it gets and anything else is just not worth worring about. Honda oil is easy and you always remember what you used the last time. If you get a little low on oil or your motor gets a little on the warm side it willshift a little funny. Check your oil level this may be your only problem.

When the oil is low it gets a bit warmer.

You say the clutch stopped working? like slipping or not releasing?(drag)

I'm guessing drag. Check your thrust washers and main case bearings on the clutch shaft.Sounds like youv'e looked at the plates already..

But of course try the oil thing first.

don't know about an xr400 but my yz 250f's owners manual specifically forbids using synthetic oil because it will cause the clutch to slip. I would definately drain that stuff.

i serviced my xr400 about 2 weeks ango and since a problem with selecting 3rd and 4th going up the box has become agrevated, to the extent that when its hot it wont go and you have to use your hand to get it to go up?

the clutch also stopped working last weekend, after some hard riding?

i have checked the basket and clutch plates etc, all seems good, i put synthetic oil in it when i changed it and some have said this may be the problem?

any ideas?

thanks,

my bike acted that way after an oil change. I chased the problem for a long time and had the clutch apart 3 times checking for wear and flatness, etc. -everything checked out perfectly (even had a shop check the clutch components). Finally did what all the posts sugessted- changed the clutch- the problem was that the steel plates were warping when the bike was hot. I finally figured that out by examinging the wear pattern on the steel plates.

save yor self a lot of head aches and wasted time- would not be a bad idea to replac the clutch cable.

Ive used semi-syn for years,and my clutch has never slipped,nor have I experienced clutch problems,I dont think its the oil,I believe you smoked the clutch riding your XR like it was a 2 stroke,fanning the clutch,and revving it to oblivion,to end all headachs,drain oil, get a good oil per your choice,change out your clutch and adjust properly and go from there,I really dont think its the oil,unless you put in that oil with the moly additive,which the owners book strictly forbids! Keep us posted,were here to help,happy trails brother!!