Suzuki PE175

Hey im still having problems with the bike firing the shop cant figure out whats wrong i have checked all the wires and everything is working properly but the bike still doesnt run when the cap is on or if the wire is touching...the spark plug wire has to be about 1/2 in. away from the plug before it will run with an arch giong from the wire to plug but if they touch it stops running even when hot..any ideas on what it might be? with the cap on i have a strong spark i have compression and gas still does not work.. i tried all the different timing setting but nothign any ideas?

A common automotive trick "back in the day" was to partly unplug a spark plug wire from the distributor to help a partly fouled spark plug, or a cylinder with a leaking valve guide or even bad rings.

What it does is force the ignition to produce a higher power spark to jump the gap in order to complete the circuit.

That said, I believe that your problem is electrical. Verify that your plug is the correct heat range for your bike, that it's in good overall condition (new is best) and that the gap is set correct for your bike.

Then be sure that everything has a good ground and that no wires are cracked or shorting out.

For some reason your ignition is "putting out". So clean it as best as you can, and unless it looks new, keep cleaning.

And just out of curiosity, what spark plug are you running and what fuel mix are you using? And is it a fresh mix?

A common automotive trick "back in the day" was to partly unplug a spark plug wire from the distributor to help a partly fouled spark plug, or a cylinder with a leaking valve guide or even bad rings.

What it does is force the ignition to produce a higher power spark to jump the gap in order to complete the circuit.

That said, I believe that your problem is electrical. Verify that your plug is the correct heat range for your bike, that it's in good overall condition (new is best) and that the gap is set correct for your bike.

Then be sure that everything has a good ground and that no wires are cracked or shorting out.

For some reason your ignition is "putting out". So clean it as best as you can, and unless it looks new, keep cleaning.

And just out of curiosity, what spark plug are you running and what fuel mix are you using? And is it a fresh mix?

Thanks for writing what i was thinking. (i type slow..that would of taken me a while)?

Im using a NGK B10EGV, im using a 16:1 mixture and its about half a week old mix...i took off the coil and i noticed that where the spark plug wire goes into the coil i see that the line is open (can see the wire) i put electrical tape around it but still same problem...someone said to me that the compression could be to strong? so that the coil is grounding out some where else instead of sparking the plug

16:1 wow that's a bit rich on the oil.run it at 32:1 or about 4 oz. per gallon at the most.Id say your plug is dead now(like the first post says..)

Also the plug a little on the cold side.(10) try an 8 (B8ES) the're cheap.

Compression too strong??? maybe too low.

16:1 wow that's a bit rich on the oil.run it at 32:1 or about 4 oz. per gallon at the most.Id say your plug is dead now(like the first post says..)

Also the plug a little on the cold side.(10) try an 8 (B8ES) the're cheap.

Compression too strong??? maybe too low.

Ditto.

And with these cold temps, a B10es is way too cool. I like the idea of using a B8es. Also, 16:1 is way too rich. A long time ago that was common, but the oil's today are way better and I personally think that 32:1 should be your minimum mix. I personally like to run 50:1 (92 octane and BelRay H1r). I use that in my '02 RM-250, a '81 RM-250 AND a 1982 Suzuki PE-175.

Think about it!

Ok ill try to pick up a hotter plug, today i got it running with the cap on it was running good until i parked it and let it cool when i tried to start it the plug fouled out again

Be sure to fix your pre-mix ratio before you try that new plug. And make sure that your using a decent made for dirt bikes pre-mix oil. Weed wacker oil will only ruin your new plug, and hopefully that'll happen before it ruins your new top end.