Sign in to follow this  

Top Speed!

depends on gearing.. mines geared 13/49 and wouldn't hit 65 going down a cliff. If I run it around 10k in 5th it probably goes a little over 55mph. Running top speed for long periods of time isn't smart tho.

It depends what surface you're riding on. Loose gravel = lots of slippage and probably 65 tops, and maybe not even that. Improve the traction and things change- My 03 with studded ice tires went just over 75 mph GPS with stock gearing at the rev limiter.

On my 2004 YZ250F i was doing a little over 40mph(the speed limit) in top of 2nd bottom of 3rd. I didnt want the thing screaming. That was on black top in the on coming lane riding next to smoe random person coming back from trail riding. That was also with my friend on back cause his pit bike snapped some bolts in the handle bar mount. I was probably doing like 60 mph cause i gunned it and the car was gone. My gearing is 13/50

i was thinking 65 is alil slow, is that on black top?

Why does it matter? I have yet to see a pro run 70mph in a race.

And if someone actually gets one to go 65 stock they are on the limiter and asking to blow the motor.

It depends what surface you're riding on. Loose gravel = lots of slippage and probably 65 tops, and maybe not even that. Improve the traction and things change- My 03 with studded ice tires went just over 75 mph GPS with stock gearing at the rev limiter.

is your a wr? because a stock geared yzf is not going 75mph. no way, not happening.

And if someone actually gets one to go 65 stock they are on the limiter and asking to blow the motor.

i wouldnt be riding that speed in a race offroad, i was just saying i thought it was faster

My bike does 93MPH on hard packet, gearing is 13/48

My bike did 80MPH on the sand highway in glamis

i have the stock speedometer and an aftermarket speedo/tach which both say the same speed.

those were both pinned at the rev limiter

My bike does 93MPH on hard packet, gearing is 13/48

My bike did 80MPH on the sand highway in glamis

i have the stock speedometer and an aftermarket speedo/tach which both say the same speed.

those were both pinned at the rev limiter

thats more like the speed i thought they went, like lower to mid 80s and if not that atleast 70. but many people tell different things... i guess ill find out the only way ill know sure... do it do it myself with a car next to me:busted:

thats more like the speed i thought they went, like lower to mid 80s and if not that atleast 70. but many people tell different things... i guess ill find out the only way ill know sure... do it do it myself with a car next to me:busted:

Thats not a yz its a wr.

My 04 YZ306f has hit 71 mph on a radar gun with 14/50 gearing and didn't have ANYTHING left. And no I didn't take it out just to radar it. I was running a Grand Prix where part of the race was on a paved track and they had a radar gun on the quickest section.

mine will do 100mph if I swap out my counter with a 14

and 104.5mph if I put a 46 tooth in the back

but a 14/46 wouldn't climb shit

is your a wr? because a stock geared yzf is not going 75mph. no way, not happening.

MXmadman,

No, it was my 2003 YZ250F (since been sold). The bike was brand new and we wanted to see what the bike could do, so I put on a set of studded tires and took it out on the lake. (very little snow on the ice that year)

On ice = about zero slippage and the GPS turned back something 75.3 mph. You seem like a smart guy. Do the math of 13.5k engine rpms and figure out the rear wheel rpm etc, and you will see that a YZ250F with stock gearing w/ zero wheel slippage will do about 77 mph at rev limiter (+/- depending on actual rear tire outside diameter).

Further proof to back up my report, my Watchdog enduro computer has shown 70 mph for a top race speed after an enduro. (yes, that is cooking on a fire road).

Also, my WR with stock gearing and stock E cam (doesn't quite have the twist on top as a YZ) turned just over 80 on blacktop last summer with me sitting upright.

So, anyway, run along, do some math, put a GPS on your YZ250F and then report back please.

Thanks for calling me a liar, btw. :thumbsup::eek::D

actually, they made all the new bikes have tighter gears, so the new WR's only go 80mph, instead of my stock 86.

yz's i don't know about, but CR250R's with a 2 tooth step up counter will almost do 80mph.

I've raced a JeepSpeed class Jeep and hit 83mph going all out.

yz's don't need to go that fast, because they are tack bikes. but they still have some speed to them.

WR's 1st and 2nd gear are really similar, so a WR really starts off in 2nd, then 3,4,5. so a WR is really a 4 speed with an underdrive 1st for extreme climbing. mine isn't because i geared mine up, but you know