Sign in to follow this  

Buying an 05 tomorrow, any pre-buy advice?

Looked at a 2005 CRF450X this evening. Appears clean and at $3,550 it appears to be a fair price. Planning to pick it up in the morning. Tires, chain, sprocket all appear in good shape. Is there anything specific I should be looking for before I hand over the money?

This will be my first thumper since getting rid of my KTM EXC520 back in 2004. Since then I've been riding the Kawasaki V-Force, a 700cc sport ATV. Thing is a blast. But now that I'm starting to plan for a future Baja race on the CRF I thought it would be prudent to start riding a thumper again. Really looking forward to it. Back when I had the 520 it was a workout in the tight woods of the east coast. I'm looking forward to the smaller engine.

Looked at a 2005 CRF450X this evening. Appears clean and at $3,550 it appears to be a fair price. Planning to pick it up in the morning. Tires, chain, sprocket all appear in good shape. Is there anything specific I should be looking for before I hand over the money?

This will be my first thumper since getting rid of my KTM EXC520 back in 2004. Since then I've been riding the Kawasaki V-Force, a 700cc sport ATV. Thing is a blast. But now that I'm starting to plan for a future Baja race on the CRF I thought it would be prudent to start riding a thumper again. Really looking forward to it. Back when I had the 520 it was a workout in the tight woods of the east coast. I'm looking forward to the smaller engine.

Just do it. There's nothing that could be wrong with it that we can't fix (-:

I would at least check the oil level after idling for 3 mins as per manual. If the engine oil level if within limits then OK - but if its low I would be wary.

Also have a look at the air filter, is it clean and nicely oiled?

IMO, a clean, well oiled air filter and engine/gearbox oils at the correct levels are often good indications of a careful owner.

You've owned bikes before, so just look it over for poor maintenence clues:

- dirty air filter

- dirty/kinked chain

- drop/scrap points on frame/engine/plastic

X specific: start it dead cold with the choke and two throttle squirts, let it idle with no throttle till the idle rises, push in choke, and let it idle for two minutes more. It should not over heat in this time (valves good, jetted right, wpump working). Take it for a putt, and kill it by stalling it in a high gear. It should start right up again (valves good) in neutral. Try starting out in 2nd or 3rd gear, to test the clutch action (no jerking, squealing, or late engagement is good).

Have fun

I would at least check the oil level after idling for 3 mins as per manual. If the engine oil level if within limits then OK - but if its low I would be wary.

Also have a look at the air filter, is it clean and nicely oiled?

IMO, a clean, well oiled air filter and engine/gearbox oils at the correct levels are often good indications of a careful owner.

Great suggestion. I'll check the oil. Since the bike is at a dealership and it has been serviced I'm not likely to find anything on the air filter.

Hey if your riding in the woods I suggest raising the forks in the tripple clamps just a few mm, That really helps these bikes turn. I had my suspension done and the guy did that automatically, Big difference on initiating turns.... Just a suggestion.

Well, the deed is done. Bike passed everything. It's sitting out in the driveway on my Moto Jack Rack right now. I'm looking forward to getting out there and giving it a workout. Hopefully tomorrow.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Good to know there's a bunch of CRF riders out here to help. I'm sure I'll become an active searcher of this forum.

Yanni23: At first I thought it would be nuts to tone this thing down with street legal tires. After looking at the DOT approved knobbies on the KTM EXC this morning I think you may be on to something. I also noticed you're down in the Great Smoky Mountains. I'm looking forward to being down you way in May on my V-Strom 1000.

Well, the deed is done. Bike passed everything. It's sitting out in the driveway on my Moto Jack Rack right now. I'm looking forward to getting out there and giving it a workout. Hopefully tomorrow.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Good to know there's a bunch of CRF riders out here to help. I'm sure I'll become an active searcher of this forum.

Yanni23: At first I thought it would be nuts to tone this thing down with street legal tires. After looking at the DOT approved knobbies on the KTM EXC this morning I think you may be on to something. I also noticed you're down in the Great Smoky Mountains. I'm looking forward to being down you way in May on my V-Strom 1000.

CONGRATULATIONS!

Now, let the addition begin. Hooohahaahaa!

Oh yeah:

QT OF OIL IN THE TRANNY

JETTING JETTING JETTING (see 'stickies' at top of forum)

You won't be toning anything down if you ride the tires I ride. They're all full blown knobbies that are street-legal. Look me up when you're in my area. I'll let you ride my X around and see how you like it for dual-sport. My tour schedule is filling but I may be available when you're here. This guided tour thing's always very speratic.

Just because a tire is DOT does not mean it's a sissy. I run Kenda Trackmaster II's, Michelin AC-10's, and other gnarly 90/10 tires. I can't run a 50/50 tire in most of the places I ride because they simply wash out and don't hook up.

Thanks for the invite, unfortunately we will be there such a short time I won't be able to take you up on it. Pretty much one night at Iron Horse Inn on May 16th.

I'm truly stunned those are street legal. I'll need to get over the the dual sport forum to see what you guys are up to.

CONGRATULATIONS!

Now, let the addition begin. Hooohahaahaa!

When you say let the addition begin I do hope you're not talking about adding more stuff to the bike. It already has bark busters and a nice skid place. I've put a couple of grand into my V-Strom and I really hoping that I'll be thrilled with the current setup of this bike and it won't take any more $$$. (of course that's not what history has taught me)

When you say let the addition begin I do hope you're not talking about adding more stuff to the bike. It already has bark busters and a nice skid place. I've put a couple of grand into my V-Strom and I really hoping that I'll be thrilled with the current setup of this bike and it won't take any more $$$. (of course that's not what history has taught me)

Uh-huh. Give in now. Don't try to resist.