Sign in to follow this  

'07 DOHC 4T Manual

Hey all, I'm going to have to do a valve adj. soon.

I contactaed Husky about not finding an online manual for the '08sm450r. they responded it's not available yet but use the '07 manual specs.

there isnt an '07 manual on thier site either.

can anyone help me locate this.

thanks....

my bike thanks you.....................Robot Ninja Pirate

I just finished researching this same subject, and after reading half-a-dozen threads, I compiled all the wisdom into one document for myself ... but why should I be selfish? :thumbsup:

I'm assuming that the valve-gear in the '08 is similar to the '07 (you said the dealer suggested it was so) and further Im assuming that the SMR and TE valve-gear is similar, if not exactly the same, as I have an '06 TE510.

You can grab the doc I made (1Mb) here: http://www.designmassif.com/misc/TE450-510_Valve_Adjustment.pdf

Good luck,

Adam.

thanks Adam ! I'm glad one of your two posts was to get this awesome document online. kinda spells it all out even a moron can follow it using the pics (except step two, they might think it says to drink the gas out of the straw)

robot ninja pirate

Here is a good video that Coffee did for us that makes the job really easy and a neat trick if you have to replace a shim.

:thumbsup:

I'm glad one of your two posts was to get this awesome document online. kinda spells it all out even a moron can follow it using the pics (except step two, they might think it says to drink the gas out of the straw) robot ninja pirate

You're welcome :D - thanks for the heads-up on my SNAFU in the procedures list ... I've de-confused that and re-posted the file.

Also, I did the procedure myownself today, and would add that at first I thought that my intake lash was REALLY small - but then did it again, being more careful. I had much better luck sliding the feeler gauge in from the side of the cam vs. my initial approach, stuffing the feeler inline with the cam. Everything was in spec after all. :eek:

Also ... after I'd done the measurements, I rotated the motor ONCE to get the two dots on the intermediate shaft to line up again, and did the measurement again. I dunno, it just made me happier to re-verify it all!

Still a little confused about my intitial measuring problems, I went back and used my Mitutoyo micrometer and measured my feeler gauges and found that the tips were *slightly* burred which was causing the problem, as they were typically .001" thicker there. Doesn't sound like a lot, but at .005, it's a 20% jump to .006" - so that issue plus being in a rush had me thinking the intake gap was less than .002" when it wasn't.

So the lesson is to take your time - or at least know all the tricks in advance :thumbsup:

When you took posession of your SMR ... you were not given a User Manual in fourteen languages?

Uh oh - just read this on the group's sticky:

"note that the feeler gauge should go between the lift arm and top of valve, and NOT the cam shaft/lift arm"

Looks like I measured the wrong gap. :thumbsup:

You'd think that you would get the same measurement - but apparently there is a difference or it would not have been noted. I'll re-update my instruction sheet, in a little bit - which will then be at v3.