Sign in to follow this  

XRR conversion, mods

Been having an incredible time on the streets of CA with a plated 02 XR650R I recently picked up. Its uncorked and pretty amazing on the street. I have tons of questions before converting it to a full on street machine.

Currently its on stock rims with Enduro tires... I'd like to swap for 17" rims with some SM tires. I hear Conti Force SM's are nice tires, but how well do they wear? Is it possible that I re-lace my stock hubs onto a new rim to save money, or will I need to replace my hubs?

I'm sure that new hubs will require new brakes or at least relocating the front calipers. Im gonna assume there's a brake relocation bracket but I can't locate one online.

My shocks seem pretty soft for the street and I'm curious about options to stiffen my suspension and how that might affect performance. Some advice on that would be real helpful.

Thanks TT

Also there are lowering kits available to reduce the bike height slightly. Seems like it might improve handling, then again the bike fits me well and will already lose an inch of ride height with new rims...

thanks again

Is it possible that I re-lace my stock hubs onto a new rim to save money, or will I need to replace my hubs?

I'm sure that new hubs will require new brakes or at least relocating the front calipers. Im gonna assume there's a brake relocation bracket but I can't locate one online.

My shocks seem pretty soft for the street and I'm curious about options to stiffen my suspension and how that might affect performance. Some advice on that would be real helpful.

Thanks TT

Congratulations on acquiring your very own Big Red Pig. :thumbsup:

Yes, as long as you match up the number of spokes and hole alignment you can lace 17 inch rims to your stock hubs without any difficulty.

Your stock brake rotors and sprocket will then continue to work... However your gearing will be reduced due to the smaller wheel diameter and your front brake will quickly overheat and fade if you start chucking your pig into the corners all sumo style. So they work... But not well. Plan to upgrade.

There are several choices for oversized front rotors that will bolt right to your stock hubs and the same company should offer a caliper relocation bracket that will allow you to just bolt it all up. Again here the stock caliper will work, but it's abilities are limited. Frequent brake fluid changes and perfect bleeding technique will minimize any brake fade with the stocker, but it's still a losing battle.

Eventually you'll likely want to step up to an aftermarket brake caliper that can really handle the extra heat you'll be generating. Plus, you'll love the one finger stoppies. :D

Suspension wise, the easy route is to have someone do it for you. If you can afford the clams I'd say you can't beat having an expert dial things in for you. But that's if you can afford the clams... Otherwise start doing searches for information on supermoto suspension settings. Figure out if your sag can be adjusted into the correct range with your current springs and if not, replace them with the correct ones. That'll get you started. You might want to flush and fill both ends with new fluid of a known weight just so you know where you are starting from. Ride, adjust, repeat.

I've skipped over a lot of detail, mostly because I'd just be repeating stuff that's already been posted by others who've already said it better. Try some searches and you'll find you've got lots of options. Good luck! :eek: