Sign in to follow this  

Piutes 3hr tour Feb 07

Here is my overnight story. Over zealous guides and FOJ map. These are just a few of the pics!

100_2982.jpg

100_2994.jpg

Me in the smoke all night!

100_3001.jpg

I couldnt resist.

100_3006.jpg

Around sunrise.

100_3038.jpg

100_2834.jpg

Bros!

100_2885.jpg

The begining of the end!

100_2911.jpg

End.

100_2912.jpg

Done.

There was only a couple of inches of snow but it turned to straight ice in the afternoon. There is alot more story here. My friend Aron and I got our buds into this mess, some friends huh?

I need to go have dinner with the family, so no more pics now. Its the killer rides before, getting back to Jawbone and getting the bikes out, that is the rest of the story. 2 days of good weather, mid day and sheet metal screws in the tires made getting the bikes out easy. Im embarassed about the whole deal really. I have about 300 pics from this trip! Avatar?

• Like 1

1.) Piutes

2.) February?!?!?

3.) Friends of Jawbone map........:ride:

Three strikes and you're out? Man, I'm glad you guys made it back OK. Although I love it up there, mixing those three things is something I'd never do. I'll leave that to you young guys..... :ride:

So....

The rest of the STORY!!!!!!!!! :lol::thumbsup::eek::D:ride:

I know I know. I want back. Who can give me a tour. I have references! More pics later.

The Piutes are not very forgiving. I'd call a Feb rid there very hardcore. I've almost had to do that sleep next to the bike thing as well.

Please give us the full story, we want to know!

I've been on several rides up there now. I'm not too good of a tour guide though. I spend a lot of time at just about evey trail junction trying to figure out which way to go. However, I have some good maps and they are available from the Forest Service.

This map has what's legal now http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sequoia/projects/ohv_route_designation_strategy/maps/4-Piutes.pdf

This is the "plan." http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sequoia/projects/ohv_route_designation_strategy/maps/pa_piutes.pdf

The directory with the original inventory maps. The ones with nw,ne,sw,se are on topo maps and are actually pretty good. These are the ones that I like best http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sequoia/projects/ohv_route_designation_strategy/maps/

A good page for downloading these topo's http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sequoia/projects/ohv_route_designation_strategy/maps/ohv_maps_for_download_test.html

I really want to do some rides up there this year. There is not much time left as over half of the trails will close when the travel management plan goes into effect.

The Plan, looks like just three short pieces will close, and all the others open up to all vehicles. Correct me please, if I mis-interpret this map guide.

Unauthorized Route to NFS Motorized Trail

NFS Road Open to Highway Legal Vehicles Only

to NFS Road Open to All Vehicles

Closed NFS Road to NFS Road Open to All Vehicles

NFS Road Open to All Vehicles to NFS Motorized Trail

Changes Proposed

Unauthorized Route to NFS Road Open to All Vehicles

to NFS Motorized Trail

Closed NFS Road to NFS Motorized Trail

NFS Road Open to All Vehicles to Closed NFS Road

SPNM to SPM

paul:ride:

The current forest proposal is to close over 80% of the single track trails

Stewards of the Sequoia have been working hard to keep all the roads & trails open to motorized use.

They need your help.

Please join them & make a donation. They are the only thing keeping these trails open.

www.stewardsofthesequoia.org

If you ride in the Sequoia or ever want to them please donate now to help keep the trails open. Donating the price of a tire could keep trails open. Once they are closed it is too late.

You can read all about the proposed closures & get the straight info on the Stewards site

The Plan, looks like just three short pieces will close, and all the others open up to all vehicles. Correct me please, if I mis-interpret this map guide.

Unauthorized Route to NFS Motorized Trail

to NFS Road Open to All Vehicles

Closed NFS Road to NFS Road Open to All Vehicles

NFS Road Open to All Vehicles to NFS Motorized Trail

Changes Proposed

Unauthorized Route to NFS Road Open to All Vehicles

to NFS Motorized Trail

Closed NFS Road to NFS Motorized Trail

NFS Road Open to All Vehicles to Closed NFS Road

SPNM to SPM

paul:ride:

None of those links are the "plan." They are the inventory maps and the currently legal ones form the inventory. That is most of the trails on the ground. Check the main page and there are links for the "plan" maps. They close a lot of really good trails. As far as I can tell many if not most of the insane triple black diamond level trails will close. A whole bunch of lesser difficulty trails will also close.

For example, if you want to see the Trophy tree, you had better go soon. It's on a goat trail that in most places is just about six inches wide. Slated for closure.

It's a shame.

Some of the trails I can understand the reasons for closure. Many of those could be "saved" if they were just rerouted through a few problem areas. I feel that many of the closures are for more political issues rather than science based like the Forest Service claims.

Ive been riding the pauites weekly scince I was around 11 years old, kx 80 big wheel. Im never gonna stop fighting the damn greenies!!!

I would like to add something that has been pissing the locals off...When you guys go up the starbright trail and then come into the sorrel peak cutoff DONT go screaming by those cabins:naughty: I myself owe my life to several of those home owners and if you ride in the piutes you just might need there help a time or to. After one of my mishaps in the piutes I basically asked these people what we could do for them they simply responded pass the word to your fellow riders not to go mach 10 down this rode We dont want them to do something drastic and start harrasing us everytime we go up there! Also be sure you do not go on private land this is a unincorparated part of california the ranger is usally far away so the tend to use there own "force" :thumbsup:

I would like to add something that has been pissing the locals off...When you guys go up the starbright trail and then come into the sorrel peak cutoff DONT go screaming by those cabins:naughty: I myself owe my life to several of those home owners and if you ride in the piutes you just might need there help a time or to. After one of my mishaps in the piutes I basically asked these people what we could do for them they simply responded pass the word to your fellow riders not to go mach 10 down this rode We dont want them to do something drastic and start harrasing us everytime we go up there! Also be sure you do not go on private land this is a unincorparated part of california the ranger is usally far away so the tend to use there own "force" :thumbsup:

:eek: Common courtesy is not so common

Good advice

I think it would apply near any residential situation.

Wayne

Anyone no a couple of guys that ride up there named, The Map, or The Brain or the Wrench? Seriously! Nicknames of course

Anyone no a couple of guys that ride up there named, The Map, or The Brain or the Wrench?

Yep. I ride with them often.

They are lots of fun but one must be prepared, be fast enough to keep up (these guys go very, very quick through the technically difficult, singletrack goat trails), be on time and above all ... never, ever whine or cry about how tough the ride is, or how long the day is...

... and don't forget to bring a shovel in case they have to bury you along the trail somewhere. :thumbsup::eek::D