Clark Tank Install Q?

Well, im currently trying to install my new 3.1 gallon tank, and i cant seem to get the rear strap on, the tank is to far forward when mounted to have the strap reach, do i need a longer strap, or is there something wrong with my tank? ANy help is appreciated.

Tom

I have a 3 gal Clarke on my '04. It fits just fine. Is the tank too far forward? or is the strap bolt in the wrong place. Check the seat and shroud fit to determine exactly what parts don't line up and where. Make sure that the brackets that you swapped over are on the correct sides. That is about all I can think of.

Soot

is this tank for your 07?,if so i have the same bike and tank and i found that

this tank has some problems the first is that you need to clean some alloy off the frame to stop the rear part from rubbing the tank also the standard yz fixing strap is too short but the worst part is the rad cowls have to be trimmed to get a good looking fit. i tried several makes of plastic on this tank and the problem is the tank,not the best clarke tank ever made i think but a good company to deal with and lots of colors to choose from. ziptye tank looks a good choice made by ims i believe but ltd colors, lots of posts on this forum about tanks. phily cee

I used the stock hardware like the directions say to, and it just seems like the rear strap is to short. Everything else seems to mount up just fine, i guess i will just have to get a longer strap or, would it really matter if i didnt have the rear strap, i mean, the seatis hooked down, so i dont see the tank going anywhere. ANy thoughts?

I had better luck putting the strap on then stretching the tank towards the mounts. Not really stretching the tank, but using it for leverage to get the front mount lined up.

Yes, I do feel the designer for this tank needs a good, swift kick to the groin.

I bought a Clarke tank and installed it on my KTM. After only 4 weeks of use, the large rubber gasket that goes under the cap ripped and tore off. I was afraid that the large rubber gasket was going to fall inside of the tank. Clarke wouldn't send me a new cap. Their customer service is terrible. In my opion, Clarke is Crap! Here are some picks. Perhaps you might think about getting an after market billet cap.

--

cap1.jpg

--

cap2.jpg

--

cap3.jpg

--

Well, im currently trying to install my new 3.1 gallon tank, and i cant seem to get the rear strap on, the tank is to far forward when mounted to have the strap reach, do i need a longer strap, or is there something wrong with my tank? ANy help is appreciated.

Tom

I had the same issue when installing a Clarke tank on my daughter's YZ125. Just take a heat gun to the strap and soften it up so you can stretch it to fit. :thumbsup:

I bought a Clarke from Rocky Mountain. The fit stunk. I called Clarke and told the "tech support" guy about my fitment issues. He was like "Oh well thats the way it's made." I called RM and they said they would take it back as long as I had not put gas in it. Fortunately I hadn't! If you can return it, do it now! Clarke blows:foul:

Yea Clarke blows. The rubber under the gas cap disintegrated from the gasoline. Their products are crap, they know it, and they won't take them back or offer an exchange. Return that POS now.

I thought everything else about the tank was ok except for the rear strap, I just left it off for now, but i will try the heat gun to streatch the strap. As for the cap, i had read about them not being so good, so i just put the stock one i have from my stock tank on. It screwed on with no problems, though i didnt check to see if it would leak, but i dont see why it would. As for the tank being junk, i dont think so, its just not perfect, which is fine, all i want it to do is get me through a 2 hour harescramble. Im not using it on a show bike. Thanks for all the replys.

Tom

I liked my 3.9 gallon Clarke tank. In the end it was too big and I didn't like that the petcock came nearly south of the carburetor. If I do it again I will go with a 3.1 gallon.

I recall using needle nose pliers to pull my strap onto the tank. After that, I just muscled it on. If you're radiator shrouds aren't lining up too well and the tank strap ain't fitting you should mess with the position of the tank on the frame.

No, everything else is fine, just the tank strap is off. Maybe tomorrow i will try to get it on again. I didnt have the motivation to go outside besides to shovel our 12+ inches of snow we got today.

Yea Clarke blows. The rubber under the gas cap disintegrated from the gasoline. Their products are crap, they know it, and they won't take them back or offer an exchange. Return that POS now.
You know what really blows?... You buy a 6000.00 / 7000.00 KTM and the F'n gas cap leaks and also falls off upon impacts!!!! Funny thing is it’s not just one KTM model year but TWO! 06’ & 07’……So you come on here and bag Clarke about a lousy gas cap on a 190.00 purchase but you say nothing about your 6-7 thousand POS KTM set up?....Who’s to say you didn’t crank the cap down one to many times before it fatigued and broke?...I know plenty of racers that use the Clarke tanks with no issues. I wish I could say that about my KTM’s !!!

Will you guys please explain somethign to me???

How exactly does a company screw up a gas cap? After all, the stock cap is supplied with the machine. If you dont know what to do you could always copy it?

Does the stock sized replacement tank from Clark use the stock cap?

Don't know about the stock size OEM replacement Clarke tank but on the oversize tank the caps are also oversize. I wanted to put my OEM cap on the oversize Clarke tank when I had it. Didn't fit.:thumbsup: The Clarke cap was ugly to me. However, mine never separated on me.

i had the same problem 2 days ago wen installing my tank. i just didnt put the rubber on from the tank to the frame. i rode 60 miles today and i had no problem.

You know what really blows?... You buy a 6000.00 / 7000.00 KTM and the F'n gas cap leaks and also falls off upon impacts!!!! Funny thing is it’s not just one KTM model year but TWO! 06’ & 07’……So you come on here and bag Clarke about a lousy gas cap on a 190.00 purchase but you say nothing about your 6-7 thousand POS KTM set up?....Who’s to say you didn’t crank the cap down one to many times before it fatigued and broke?...I know plenty of racers that use the Clarke tanks with no issues. I wish I could say that about my KTM’s !!!

You are right, the KTM gas cap issue was crappy. The reason I bought the after market Clarke tank was because of the whole KTM gas cap issue (I have a 2006 XC). That is separate issue with thousands of complaints on ktmtalk. And I along with everyone else complained to KTM and KTM eventually issued us newly designed replacement caps. Yes KTM initially screwed up with the gas cap design but at the very least they fixed it for free. There were many other people like me who bought Clarke tanks and had the same problem that I had with the Clarke gas cap. When I called Clarke, their customer service was terrible and they treated me like I was fool for buying their product.

Will you guys please explain somethign to me???

How exactly does a company screw up a gas cap? After all, the stock cap is supplied with the machine. If you dont know what to do you could always copy it?

I bought a stock size yzf gas tank for my wr and the stock gas cap fits.Also I had no issues with fit and finish.

I've had two Clarke tanks so far with no problems at all. The gas caps were different from stock on both but I had no issues with the Clarke units. Other than the previously mentioned strap location which I consider to be a minor problem that you come accross with many aftermarket parts. Maybe they have some quality control issues which would explain why some people have problems and some don't.:thumbsup: