650l rebuild problems

Hi there i just finished rebuilding my 650l just the top end mind you. It runs fine but when i let the clutch out of neutral after i start it makes a grinding noise. It does not make the noise when i let the clutch out in gear though. I never touched the botom end i cleaned it out. Any clue? Juts wanted to get some opinoins before i rip that cover off that gasket is expensive. thanks

Adam

• 2 weeks later...

Soooo i figured out what was wrong. One of the clutch bolts sheered off and .... well it was ugly. But i found another problem though, i checked my oil filter and it was bone dry. The filter is in right and the cover is on right too. I had let it run for a minute or so. I looked at the pump and it seems to function right. I tried to clean out the bike as best i could. What about thoes oil lines on the bottom of the motor? Anyone have a pic of how they are mounted just want to make shure i diddnt mix things up. Anything else you guys can think of??

Do a search for "priming" and you will find info about priming the oiling system. The last time I rebuilt my XR600 it took about 100 seconds before oil cam out of the head oil pipe. That was WAY too long in my book. I'm going to use the techniques in the priming threads next time.

Thanks did some research on that and now the oil is flowin fine, got a little worried there. But wait more questions hahah. The bike revs fine but when i drive it it feels like it has no power towards 1/2 throttle. Valves? Also it dosent want to run when the bike is warm keeps dyeing on me. There is smoke coming from the motor, smells like burning, is this the gaskets just setting in? I adjusted the valves but this is the first time ive done it how much drag shoud i be getting with the feeler guage ,if u can describe it, everyone ive asked so far couldent explain it to me.

Thanks did some research on that and now the oil is flowin fine, got a little worried there. But wait more questions hahah. The bike revs fine but when i drive it it feels like it has no power towards 1/2 throttle. Valves? Also it dosent want to run when the bike is warm keeps dyeing on me. There is smoke coming from the motor, smells like burning, is this the gaskets just setting in? I adjusted the valves but this is the first time ive done it how much drag shoud i be getting with the feeler guage ,if u can describe it, everyone ive asked so far couldent explain it to me.

No power as you are opening the throttle to 1/2? Have you had this problem before you O/H the top end? Smoke from the engine could be spilled oil from having it apart.

Feeler guage's take a little "learned feel". The best way I can describe if the guage is the right thickness is, a slight resistance between valve stem and rocker. If the next thicker guage is difficult to pull back out then that one is too thick.