Sign in to follow this  

BRoken collarbone?

I would like to get a second opinion on the correct treatment for my broken clavical. Can anybody recommend a good ortho in Sol cal, south oc area. Went to the ortho at mission hospital and basicaly says to let it heal on its own, he would like to see me back in three weeks for more x rays. FYI i broke it last sat 3/1/08 Mt biking. I would like to get full motion and no bump out of this? The Doc seems to think i stand a 95% chance of having full range of motion. Any help would be appreciated.

Non surgical treatment will give you full motion of the shoulder in all cases, whether the bone heals or not.

Athletes with displaced fractures do better with surgery. THis is no longer my opinion, but medical fact. Unfortunatly not every doc keeps current.

The best fix is an Accumed plate and bone graft.

Dont let me tell you. Lots of guys will chime in.

Non surgical treatment will give you full motion of the shoulder in all cases, whether the bone heals or not.

Athletes with displaced fractures do better with surgery. THis is no longer my opinion, but medical fact. Unfortunatly not every doc keeps current.

The best fix is an Accumed plate and bone graft.

Dont let me tell you. Lots of guys will chime in.

Thank you

I have read alot of other posts here thats what got me thinking, what do you mean by (displaced)? Also with regard to traveling to Texas do you know a quality Dr here in the oc, newport beach , laguna hills Mission viejo, someone like yourself that may specialize in clavical? What would be the amount of time before i decide to have surgery? this happened on 3/1/08 almost a week ago

Displaced means crooked, like I am sure yours looks like.

the only docs in your area I know specialize in making the titties largier.

You have a few weeks in in which to get it fixed.

We do riders from Cali every week. Usually the hospital pays the travel.

the only docs in your area I know specialize in making the titties largier.

You have a few weeks in in which to get it fixed.

We do riders from Cali every week. Usually the hospital pays the travel.

That shiat is funny right there. Ok thanks for the quick response I may be in touch btw I have always wanted to see the river walk, allthough thta is in San Antonio :thumbsup:

Let the Doc fix you up!!! 19 days post op and doing amazing!!! just search my threads and posts...

Ok thanks for the quick response I may be in touch btw I have always wanted to see the river walk, allthough thta is in San Antonio :eek:

I was born in Houston, but my folks hated it there and left when I was one. Not sure if there's anything worthwhile there, but a live rodeo is always a good time. Especially the bronc and bull riding. Makes you realize what a buncha pansies us motorcyclists are.

I had my collarbone plated 2 weeks ago, although the doc was not quite as forward-thinking as dr-mark and was leaning slightly towards leaving it. He told me what he knew about both options and left the choice up to me. 2 weeks later, I feel pretty normal. Obviously I can't ride anything close to full speed yet, but I can actually get out on my bike (motorcycle and bicycle) and play a bit, take it easy, stay in shape, not go crazy, and I can do normal household chores and stuff. More importantly, I don't feel like a character in a kafka novel anymore. Being able to see the end of the bone right under the skin, and knowing that every movement was moving busted bones around was totally creeping me out. I felt better 10 mins after surgery than I did before surgery.

Since you don't know anyone local in whom you have high confidence, I would strongly recommend flying to Houston and having Dr Mark fix you up right. I've been following many people's stories in this forum since I had a serious leg injury last spring, and I have seen only positive experiences from Dr Mark's patients. :thumbsup:

i won't bore you with my story, i've chimed in on this forum many times about the wonderful work Dr. Mark does..take some time to search this forum and read mine and others stories. Then let Yvonne get you hooked up with the Doc.

My 2 cents, broke my clavical on Sept 16, 2007, had it plated Sept 20 and was back on the bike by mid-November. I was throwing pitches to my kids Little League team in October (with the sling on).

Plated is the way to go, amazing how quick the recovery was (at least for me). :confused::excuseme: :excuseme:

Broke my clavicle on 9/30/2007. My local ortho told me to wait for it to heal. 12 weeks later I was still waiting and he said that I should wait some more. He's not my doctor anymore.

I went to Texas on 1/28. I'm 100% now and I don't have a big-assed bump near my neck.

Dr Mark will fix you up right!