Sign in to follow this  

Need help on GPS unit

Hi everyone,

I recently bought a Garmin GPS 60C handheld/weatherproof unit.

Now I have to make a decision on what software to buy. I bought this for 95% use on my dual sport bike.

Should I get a topographical map, or buy a street program like City Navigator? They cost about $100 each so I'd rather not buy both.

What do you guys think?

I have the 60cx. City Navigator is autorouting, great for when you plan routes on the computer. Topo is not. With Topo you have to draw the route by hand using the mouse, click at turns and along curves to get the route to follow the map. It makes straight lines between each waypoint/via. Topo can be very cluttered looking on the 60s small screen. I have both and if I was going to have to buy just one I'd go with City Nav NT. If you ask around, you might find someone willing to send you a copy of the discontinued Roads and Rec too. It's like Topo without all the contour lines. Has more of the obscure roads on it than City Nav.

You will find that Topo has too many lines for bikes, ok for hiking off trail.

Try to find a copy of Roads & Rec it works fine. It is out of production but you can find copies on e-bay.

The latest version of City Navigator has just about all if not all the roads/trails that Roads & Rec had. As for Topo you can back down the detail and avoid the contour lines. If I were going to buy one I'd probably go with CN but it is nice to have both. Also check out Amazon. Topo is around $77 + no shipping + no tax. I got Topo 2008 there for about $58 awhile back but apparently that deal is gone.

I would get City Nav and if you needed more find an old copy of Roads & Rec.

I have Topo and rarely use it.

I have both on my zumo. I love the CN and the topo is fun to play around with but it does not show me on the roads all the time, usually it shows my location next to road. Also torrent files are your friend:applause:

You will find that Topo has too many lines for bikes, ok for hiking off trail.

Try to find a copy of Roads & Rec it works fine. It is out of production but you can find copies on e-bay.

Jerry knows what he's talking about, I'd take his advice.

Topo can be very cluttered looking on the 60s small screen.

I have topo on my old GPS V. I just turn off some of the features on the gps so it dosn't show so much detail. Views just fine that way. I like the topo cause it shows the forrest roads that I like to travel. It wont route to it but oh well. Where I travel I usualy just wing it and use to gps to get my bearings and find my way out.

What are torrent files ?

these are files that allow people to download various files from recorded TV programs like the all the races on here.

there was an unlocked torrent on the web, but I just checked and now it is gone.

The latest version of City Navigator has just about all if not all the roads/trails that Roads & Rec had. QUOTE]

I have both and can tell you that CN 2008 isn't even close to what R&R shows as far as back roads and trails at least here in the east.

I would get CN 2008 for street use and a used R&R for adventure riding and have the best of both worlds.