Hauling Bike,fork Block Or Not?

hey im taking a little trip tomorrow and have a qustion do you guys put a block in yor forks or just compress them down,and has anyone had blown seals from it or is it a myth,and lastly does anyone have a more reliable way of using a block without wondering if the block is going to slip and bike go flying? thanks:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

The block is a definate, i have never noticed a seal to blow when in my truck before i had a block, but now that i have one i seem to blow them less often. To make it so it will not fall out, you need to make it look like a cross, so that it also lays across the front of the forks as well, if that makes any sense.

No cross needed. 10 years of rough 4-wheel drive roads and LOTS of highway miles, and I've never had one budge. Cut a section of ABS or PVC pipe that is small enough in diameter to fit up inside your front fender. Cut it to SQUARELY to a length just enough shorter than the MAXIMUM gap between the front tire and fender so that you can lift on the handlebars and slide it into place.

The hole in the bottom will grip the knobbies and I guarantee it won't go anywhere with the bike tied down. :thumbsup:

I don't know if it really makes any difference on the springs or fork seals, but it definitely makes the bike more stable.

I made mine and it works perfect

FORKGUARD.jpg

I started using one for awhile and just couldn't get it to work well. There's an outside chance I could have gotten it to work if I'd kept fiddling with it, but finally threw that thing out the back of the trailer cussing "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

I'd never lost a bike until I started using one and I've still never blown or damaged a seal by strapping the bike down without one... even on a five or six year old bike that would at times be strapped down for sometimes weeks at a time if I'd forget. In my seventeen years in MX I feel it's largely a myth.

I bought one and hated it. It is still sitting in my garage almost brand new. The bike is held into position by the compressing of the front tire, and that does not make me feel confident. If it is hot when you use it, and then it gets cold on the way home, the front tire will loose air pressure and the block can fall out. With that said, I have not been using one since 2005 and have never had a seal problem, nor dropped a bike after being tied down. YMMV

I bought one and hated it. It is still sitting in my garage almost brand new. The bike is held into position by the compressing of the front tire, and that does not make me feel confident. If it is hot when you use it, and then it gets cold on the way home, the front tire will loose air pressure and the block can fall out. With that said, I have not been using one since 2005 and have never had a seal problem, nor dropped a bike after being tied down. YMMV

Um, wouldn't you then have the same problem if the bottom side of the tire loses pressure without a block?

I routinely drive from up to 11,000 feet with the tire "hot" down to 6,000 feet with the tire cold. The PVC pipes never budge. (4 bikes at at time.)

I don't use a block and IMHO, I think it's a myth that you need one to avoid blown seals. Let me ask you this. How can fork seals handle the sudden spike in pressure when you bottom hard, yet can't handle being compressed by about half the stroke for transport in the back of your truck? Personally, I have had the bike loaded for 3 days in the back of my truck before on road trips and never had a problem and I ride a KTM which is notorious for having fork seal issues.

33 years of hauling dirt bikes in trucks and never used anything other than tie downs, compressing the fork springs. I don't bottom the fork out.

Two fork seals problems, 15yrs ago on an old Husky430, and just a year ago on my 03 Gas Gas. Before that never had a seal leak.

I think it's an old wives tale, to sell useless blocks. :thumbsup::eek:

I just but the front wheel in the corner of the truck bed and the back wheel on the oppsit side.

Easy to make and a definite for hauling.

IMG_1769.jpg

Um, wouldn't you then have the same problem if the bottom side of the tire loses pressure without a block?

No, because the forks are compressed instead of the tire, and have more than enough in reserve to handle any temp differences. I snug the forks down, but never fully compressed.

Never used one. I have a sprayed in bedliner and it allows me to drop the front tire into one of the "channels" in the bed. That and my soft tie downs hold the bike in place. The bike will move up and down a bit, but then again it does that when I ride it too. I don't see how fork seals are going to "blow" from using tie downs. Leaky fork seals are usually caused by dirt between the seal and the fork tube.

+ 1 for the block..don't know about blowing seals but if you compress a spring over long periods of time it loses its uhhh spring..

I'd rather wear out my springs on the track or in the dirt..

My feelings (old school thinking here) are is that it's another way for someone to make money like air-cleaner oil....what the :thumbsup: I've never had a bike blow a seal after having it tied down for 4 hours at a time...Seals have more of a chance of blowing while riding the bike with the compression and decompression going on than sitting in your truck, trailer...