Sign in to follow this  

HELP! which wheel spacer? excel/talon

I think the other thread I had going went cold.

I just installed my new wheels, but was having some trouble with the front. The front wheel came with 2 wheel spacers. I though at first that the second spacer would be for a speedo-delete, but its not. I'm just trying to figure out if I used the right one. There is a gold (longer by about 1/8 in) and a silver one. I only have about 1/16 in clearance between the brake line holder bracket and the tire on the left side and about 1/4 on the other, so I used the longer one.

Anybody else seen this with excel/talons? Just looking for some reassurance here.

i've been using an oem left side spacer as a speedo drive eliminator on my excel/tlaons from white bros..

I finally just measured it out. OEM hub with spacer and speedo was 5.833 inches wide. That most closely matched the shorter, silver spacer Talon hub and speedo. I at least have that figured out now.

Now to figure out this chain slapping problem in the rear. Did you have any issues with your White Bro's rims? Offset correct?

yes i did. i offset the rear wheel until my tire stopped rubbing the chain.

you will need to go almost as far as you can. the limit will be caliper to spoke clearance on the right/rotor side.

as was mentioned in your other post, if you offset with the tire on, you will need to remove the tire to trim the excess spokes protruding thru on the rotor side.

yes i did. i offset the rear wheel until my tire stopped rubbing the chain.

you will need to go almost as far as you can. the limit will be caliper to spoke clearance on the right/rotor side.

as was mentioned in your other post, if you offset with the tire on, you will need to remove the tire to trim the excess spokes protruding thru on the rotor side.

That's a real bummer.... just paid 30 bucks for this tire to be mounted and balanced. Even with rim strips installed, I'll still have this problem?

When you reset the offset, did you align the rotor mounting surface with the lip of the wheel (1) or the other edge (2) <-- see picture.

I'm just trying to make sure I have this right. I checked an OEM SM wheel and the rotor mounting surface is perfectly flush with edge (2), but the OEM is a 4.5 and I have a 4.25 so I thought it might be different.

307962967.jpg

That's a real bummer.... just paid 30 bucks for this tire to be mounted and balanced. Even with rim strips installed, I'll still have this problem?

When you reset the offset, did you align the rotor mounting surface with the lip of the wheel (1) or the other edge (2) <-- see picture.

I'm just trying to make sure I have this right. I checked an OEM SM wheel and the rotor mounting surface is perfectly flush with edge (2), but the OEM is a 4.5 and I have a 4.25 so I thought it might be different.

307962967.jpg

i used duct tape as a rim strip. it saved me from a flat - yup, i was dumb enough to off-set after i mounted the tire, then ride until tire was worn. when i removed the old tire to mount a new one, i realized exactly how close i was to getting a flat.

i can't answer your question about the rotor mounting surface. i just kept off-setting until i wasn't rubbing. but, you can go too far & push the spokes on the right hand side into the caliper. you want some clearance there.

i beleive the earlier year sm's had a 4.25" wheel & later models have the 4.5".

the oem sm also has a larger rear rotor & a different caliper location.