hauling bikes without chocks

I'm going to pickup my new trailer tomorrow and have been brainstorming how to haul 3 bikes. I'd like to keep the floor open for other things and don't want to put a bunch of holes in the floor. My plan is to mount a 2x4 across the trailer 6-8 " above the handle bars, and using tie downs to hold the bikes up putting enough pressure on the bikes to keep from falling but not lift the wheel off. I realize the bikes may rock back and forth a few inches but i don't think it's a big deal. The 2x4 will be removable as I'll have a bracket for it to drop into on each side of the trailer. for 3 bikes I'll use 2 2x4 and put the 3rd bike in backwards. If this works a guy could put some plywood across the 2x's and have a shelf for light items. The trailer is a 6x12.

Am i crazy or does this sound workable???? ?:eek:

Sounds crazy to me. Most tie downs work on pressure pushing against them to accomplish the "holding" affect. I would imagine you'll get a lot more sway back and forth than you think be not putting this downward pressure on the bars.

How about trying some of these little guys. Much more inconspicuous than a bunch of eye hooks everywhere. You'll never notice them until you need 'em:thumbsup:

M-801_300.jpg

First off, IDK if a 2x4 is going to be that strong-especially when you're tying 2-3 bikes to it.

Second, placing it above the height of the bars sounds odd-you're going to be applying forces that will lift the bike, rather than secure it down.

There are removable chocks available, and also ones that flip up/down and when not in use, are flush with the floor.

http://www.kmtparts.com/catalog.asp?prodid=477976&showprevnext=1

http://item.express.ebay.com/Vehicle-Parts-Accessories_Motorcycle-Parts-Accessories__24-Motorcycle-Trailer-Flip-up-Wheel-Chock-Recessed-NEW_W0QQitemZ200199074935QQihZ010QQddnZVehicleQ20PartsQ20Q26Q20AccessoriesQQadnZMotorcycleQ20PartsQ20Q26Q20AccessoriesQQptdiZ2863QQddiZ1168QQcmdZExpressItem

They make chocks that are removable.. They have a bracket that bolted to the floor and the chock attaches to the bracket.. The 2x4 idea sound crazy.. I can see a pile of bikes waiting for you when you get to your riding area.. gas spilling everywhere, bent levers, handle bars tangled in spokes, etc

Many times I've hauled bikes in my pickup with no chocks but the tie downs attached low. It usually works good. But once at low speed I hit a sharp edged bump and my bikes front tire cocked sideways loosening one strap. This could have bee a major problem at road speed. I would suggest tie downs used with downward pressure and something to locate the front tire adequately like a tie down or a bed buddy. The bed buddy actually does both and I believe I will get one for my truck this year.

I didn't want permanent chocks on the floor of my enclosed so I looked at removable chocks but didn't care for that set up either. We routered in the d-rings like shown above flush with the floor and put the bikes on a stand with turnbuckles hooked to the footpegs. No bike movement whatsoever and as an added bonus I'm not worried about the suspension being loaded for extended periods on long trips.

I'm going to pickup my new trailer tomorrow and have been brainstorming how to haul 3 bikes. I'd like to keep the floor open for other things and don't want to put a bunch of holes in the floor. My plan is to mount a 2x4 across the trailer 6-8 " above the handle bars, and using tie downs to hold the bikes up putting enough pressure on the bikes to keep from falling but not lift the wheel off. I realize the bikes may rock back and forth a few inches but i don't think it's a big deal. The 2x4 will be removable as I'll have a bracket for it to drop into on each side of the trailer. for 3 bikes I'll use 2 2x4 and put the 3rd bike in backwards. If this works a guy could put some plywood across the 2x's and have a shelf for light items. The trailer is a 6x12.

Am i crazy or does this sound workable???? ?:eek:

I would worry about the side load denting the walls of the trailer. The trailer walls are not as strong as they might appear.

CoKTM

In my trailer, I have it set up so that i have my bikes on top of their stands and then tie them down from the footpegs to a floor D-ring identical to one posted earlier. Since the bikes are elevated on their stands there is no pressure on the suspension and you dont need chocks. 3 D-rings can tie down 2 bikes when you set them up in a line.