Sign in to follow this  

400E JD Kit Settings - Perth, Australia

I've been reading a lot of threads recently, and being the owner of a showroom-fresh 400E, I decided to buy the JD Jetting Kit. It seems as though we're lucky here in Aus, in that we get the full-on 'E, road legal (so I can't see why anyone would buy an S, here in Australia). Anyway... a lot of what I've read regarding jetting talks about 3x3 mods on S models, or spending a small fortune to change to the FCR carb (that I already have)...

My bike shop already pulled the snorkel off the airbox (so I've already got a 3x3 hole), and I'm running the stock exhaust at the moment (though this may change in the future, most likely just for a slip-on of some description).

I haven't received the JD Kit yet (so I haven't read the instructions), but I've seen a lot of posts along the lines of "You should use this needle, and this clip position, blah."

Obviously there's a lot of personal preference in tuning, but Eddie (and his dyno-backed facts) give me the most confidence to date.

Can someone who lives in Austalia (in a warmer climate, preferably) at sea level please tell me what bits they used from the JD kit to get the best performance for their Aussie E?

Thanks in advance.

Tell eddie your usual riding elevation, temp, and bike set-up and he'll tell you what to use. It will be very close if not right on.

Tell eddie your usual riding elevation, temp, and bike set-up and he'll tell you what to use. It will be very close if not right on.

I didn't want to hassle him...

hey dude,

check this site out. it looks specifically at conditions here in Aus and the JD jetting kit. have a good read.

http://www.offroadenhancements.com/main/index.cfm?fuseaction=display_jd_info&cfid=14153&cftoken=11341905&dts=912008312

BTW - Eddie is your best friend when it comes to jetting the DR. he is a guru.

just to confirm too...... just because you have removed the snorkel, does not mean that you have the 3x3 mod. All you have done is the "removed the snorkel mod" 3x3 has additional cuts in the air box to allow it to breathe.

Thanks for the linky mr_nakajima.

Sorry to hijack - does anyone know when they refer to "One clip position higher" - is that higher up the needle (closer to clip position one) or one clip position higher (lower down the needle)?

Cheers!

Maz

hey dude,

check this site out. it looks specifically at conditions here in Aus and the JD jetting kit. have a good read.

http://www.offroadenhancements.com/main/index.cfm?fuseaction=display_jd_info&cfid=14153&cftoken=11341905&dts=912008312

just to confirm too...... just because you have removed the snorkel, does not mean that you have the 3x3 mod. All you have done is the "removed the snorkel mod" 3x3 has additional cuts in the air box to allow it to breathe.

maybe down under the 3x3 is an additional cut but not on the E/K/R that we receive here in the states. On the E/K/R all you do is pull the restrictor/snorkle. On an S/SM you need to cut a hole. http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=378193&highlight=master+3x3

Sorry to hijack - does anyone know when they refer to "One clip position higher" - is that higher up the needle (closer to clip position one) or one clip position higher (lower down the needle)?

IIRC one clip higher is towards the flat end of the needle, it lowers the needle in the carb. http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=404426&highlight=needle+position+rich

hey dude,

Thanks for the info, I might try the recommended JD settings, with the needle clip 1 position higher.

Also, I think you're wrong with the 3x3 mod. From everything I've read, there's no other airbox mods required on the E. The E has a 3x3 hole in it already (once you pull the snorkel) and I've not seen ay evidence to suggest additional cuts are made anywhere else. Certainly the S 3x3 mod only has 1 cut involved. I'm happy to be corrected if this is not the case.

mr_nakajima rides a SM model ... on the E model, removing the snokel gives us the 3x3 :thumbsup:

What's wrong with the stock jetting? I've never changed mine and it works fine.

Nothing if you live in the one place that has the proper elevation and temperature to make it work correctly....that said, almost all, if not all, carbed bikes come to the US jetted very lean for EPA

The best youve ridden, is the best you know.

Tune your bike for real conditions, not factory specs,, You'll answer your own question.

stock pipe,snorkel out.

160 mainjet

jd blue needle clip 4

stock 45 pilot jet

2.5 turns fuel screw

pump squirt should be at 1.5 seconds.

And yay, the lord appeared among them... and he spoke;

stock pipe,snorkel out.

160 mainjet

jd blue needle clip 4

stock 45 pilot jet

2.5 turns fuel screw

That's good enough for me. Thanks for your input.

stock pipe,snorkel out.

160 mainjet

jd blue needle clip 4

stock 45 pilot jet

2.5 turns fuel screw

Eddie, I have tinkered enough in the past to understand jets, needles and clip positions, but accelerator pump settings is something I've not touched before. I've seached the forums, bue there doesn't appear to be a lot about it mentioned (other than an o-ring mod you suggested in the DR650 area). Does the JD kit give instructions on adjusting the squirt duration (if indeed necesssary), or is there something else I should be reading?

search taffy mod

Thanks again for the pointer in the right direction. For those who are looking for the taffy mod, check this page;

http://docta-zaius.freeservers.com/whats_new.html

The collars that are used here are like these;

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXD832&P=7

I had a quick look at my bike, and from what I can see (without removing anything, so it's hard to see), my FCR appears to have a spring on the actuator shaft. Does this mean that I have a newer FCR than the taffy mod was originally designed for, and that I (a) need a different mod or (:thumbsup: the mod is no longer relevant?

Not 100% sure, but I believe with our version of the FCR, the taffy equivalent mod is called the BK MOD

BTW I'm following this because I need to rejet mine as well, so thanks for asking, that way Eddie does at least 2 birds, one stone. :thumbsup:

stock pipe,snorkel out.

160 mainjet

jd blue needle clip 4

stock 45 pilot jet

2.5 turns fuel screw

Eddie... other Aus riders are reporting that our bikes already come with a 165 main. Would it therefore still make sense to go down to a 160 (with the blue needle).

Jets aren't expensive I might try this out see if it makes any difference. I think your right I've never tried it any other way so I wouldn't know if it is helpful or not.

Eddie... other Aus riders are reporting that our bikes already come with a 165 main. Would it therefore still make sense to go down to a 160 (with the blue needle).

I just read this again, and realised that I've said something very silly here. The main jet size means nothing on it's own, rather it will be dependent on the needle that's used with it. I'll stick with Eddie's recipe, and report back once I'm done.

Cheers all.