Sign in to follow this  

Discrepancy on SAG recommendation in MANUAL??

There seems to be a discrepancy in the 150R manual on proper rear sag measurement.

I am referencing the 2007 manual on page104 (which reads in ITALICS)

Standard Race Sag = 85mm (3.3 in)

HOWEVER .... if you read the next two paragraphs its states .....:

Adjust spring pre-load as necessary to obtain the desired handling results.

Decreasing the race sag dimension (example 90mm, 3.5 in) improves turning ability for tight terrain at the cost of slightly reduced staight line stability.

Increasing the race sag dimension (example 100mm, 3.9in) my improve stability on faster terrain with less turns, but will reduce turning performance slightly and may upset the balance between front and rear.

So WHATS WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE (note bolded parts).:D

Is this a misprint, because using the numbers in the next few sentences, the Race sag should be 95mm (NOT 85MM).

Anybody have the 2008 manual and can look this up????

So what is the "proper" sag .... is it 85mm or 95 mm??:thumbsup::eek:

I am thinking its a misprint and should read 95mm???

Anybody have a 2008 manual that they can check.

One of the numbers is wrong above ... I am very curious which one it is.:eek:

If 85 mm is the correct value for sag, then the next few sentences should read (with RED substitutions)

Adjust spring pre-load as necessary to obtain the desired handling results.

Decreasing the race sag dimension (example 90mm(should read 80mm), 3.5 in) improves turning ability for tight terrain at the cost of slightly reduced staight line stability.

Increasing the race sag dimension (example 100mm (should read 90mm), 3.9in) my improve stability on faster terrain with less turns, but will reduce turning performance slightly and may upset the balance between front and rear.

Which is wrong and which is right ... inquiry minds want to know :thumbsup:

Mini's have traditionally used 85mm of sag as a starting point.

Thats why I need to figure out where the misprint is??

Factory Connection claims 95mm-105mm is the correct starting sag for mini's (not 85) :thumbsup:

CCF08032008_00005.jpg

I'd go out and ride the thing. Set it at 95mm and go ride for a while. Come in and set it at 90 and go ride. Come in and set it at 100 and go ride.

Write down everything you do in a log.

Then start working with the compression and rebound settings.

You just need to go out and test it.

The suspension is easy to work with but you have to work it a bit, in exchange you can really make your bike handle.

You might run your sag at 100mm for fire roads or desert stuff and 90 for tight single track.

One setting is not right for everything.

Agree.

I am just curious to see if the 08 manual says the same values??

Can anybody check??

One of the numbers is wrong, and I am just trying to find out which one.:thumbsup:

PS: ran 90mm on my wife bike last weekend, and she found it very good ... much better than before. Previously we had always used 80mm. This leads me to think that there is a misprint in the manual and it should read 95 mm and standard, and adjust either way from that baseline??

If anybody has an 08 manual and can check, it would be VERY much appreciated to solve this mystery.:eek: