TPS positioning "for the boffs"

I have noticed that the TPS is fitted on a slot which would mean you can rotate it to do its job at slightly different slide positions. I know their are power gains to be made by advancing the timing slightly with the right fuel to avoid pre-detonation.

I'm guessing that the TPS advances the ignition timing as a function of the carb slide opening which would mean the higher the slide = more rpm (usually) = more advanced ignition timing.

My question is could you move the TPS on the slot so that it believes it at a higher slide position than it is therefore advancing the ignition timing throughout the range?

I have never played with the TPS position as I know pre-detonation could be really bad for engine but could this be a simple setting to get more HP?

mike

i would not mess with that unless replacing the tps, heard of people trying to move it thinking they can get more out of engine and all that happens is that runs worse. dont mess with something that isnt causing a problem like the tps my .02cents

hey kawracerx yeah your right i probably wont mess with something that works just fine but i'm curious. do the pro's fiddle with this setting or is it minuscule?

the only thing that could really be gained from adjusting the TPS is throttle response. i dont think it effects the timing enough to make a difference in the rest of the powerband. the only thing it would do is either never see the WOT signal or get it too soon.

it would take alot of testing to find the right voltage that gives the best throttle response though. i know with my car its .989v and the range the factory gives is .8v to 1v.

unless somewhere it tells you the optimum voltage. then set it and be happy. haha

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Robert Rice
      Okay so I picked up a 2018 kx250f the other week and took it riding and it was BAD ASS! I have a 2002 ktm125sx and it’ll whoop that thing any day! I’m going to the sand dunes this weekend and gonna use the 6 paddle I used on my 125. Should I be using an 8 paddle with a larger rear sprocket? I wouldn’t want my first experience in the dunes on this bike to be a bummer just because I had the wrong paddle on. 
    • By TPA-MX
      Hi guys,
      I have a 2014 KX250f that has a super small hairline, I mean super small hairline crack just under the main engine plug hold on the ignition cover.  You cant really see it, but it "slowly" will leak oil out if let set long enough.
      I would like to permanently fix it.  Right now, I just used some clear silicone on the outside and it stoped the leaking.  However, looking to sell the bike and I want more of a permanent fix.  The 3 options I see are:
      Replace just the ignition cover Replace the entire Stator/ignition cover Use some jb weld on the outside, sand down and paint My questions are:
      On #1, how hard would it be to use my existing stator / magneto items and install in a new cover? On #3, can JB Weld be grinded/sanded down to a smooth finish?  If so, what is the best material to use?  Regular wet/dry sandpaper?  If I go this route, I would want it to look decent, then paint the entire cover black with hi-temp black paint.   What would you recommend?  Am I missing any other alternatives?   Thanks!
    • By rollin30
      I need a subframe for a kx250f and an exhaust system too
    • By rollin30
      I need a subframe for a kx250f and an exhaust system too
    • By Andrew Oberther
      I picked up an 09 kx250f as a winter project and it had a chewed up head, and is unrepairable. I was online and found a 2011 kx250f head and was wondering if it would fit. Thanks.