One muscle at a time

I lift some weights but i train only one muscle per day, Ex. Monday biceps, Tuesday Back, Thursday chest...etc. because it takes time to train 2 muscles. Is that ok or i should try to find time to train two muscles per day?

I lift some weights but i train only one muscle per day, Ex. Monday biceps, Tuesday Back, Thursday chest...etc. because it takes time to train 2 muscles. Is that ok or i should try to find time to train two muscles per day?

It depends on your goals. Is your focus bodybuilding or motocross? If it's motocross it won't help much. If it's bodybuilding it would probably work fine. Some believe that one muscle group per week is good and believe that the old school "every other day" is too much and you overtrain. I always split the difference with one muscle group twice per week when I did the bodybuilding thing in the 80's.

I am not an expert, just starting getting into the gym since last seeing it in high school some 15 years ago. I wrestled and played football in high school so the coaches supervised our workouts. Anyhow, I never really understood why I was doing what I was doing. So when I recently signed up at a gym and found myself wandering aimlessly, I decided to do some research. It has never made sence to my enginering mind that bicep curls were a very effective workout, especially for the dirt bike, because I never found myself doing an isolated bicep curl in real life, ok, maybe lifting the coke can to my mouth ? I have been curious about those new systems you see around these days, P90X and Crossfit are two examples. They seem to make more sence to me, doing free wieght compound lifts etc... Making the whole body work together so the muscles are trained at handling loads together which will equal better balence, physically and stability. I'm not looking for large biceps, just better physical performance.

My two cents.

IS the compound kind of stuff--like dead lifts or rowing--good for motocross?

Compound movements are the best types of exercises for nearly any sport.

People seem to forget that Bodybuilding is a "sport". It's not generic for weightlifting or resistance training. There are some good bodybuilding exercises/ workouts, but a marathoner doesn't train like a tennis player for the big race. Therefore, I'm not sure why so many people solely reference or primarily use Bodybuilding as their way of resistance training.

here's good website (if you don't mind videos)

www.stack.com

• 2 weeks later...

I have been following Crossfit for some time now. Absolutely the best program I have ever used. If only I could control my eating and alcohol consumption I would be in extremely good shape. I ran marathons, was a marine, and raced motocross when I was younger. Even with the extra body fat (I'm around 20% bodyfat at the moment), I am in better shape than I have ever been.

My core is stronger than ever. One word of caution: olympic lifts are amazing (clean&jerk and snatch), but DO NOT attempt heavy weights without some coaching if you don't have the background.

Also, overuse injuries are something you should watch out for. For example, in my case I can't do a muscle up (a gymnastic move which requires going from hanging on rings to the top of a dip position in one movement), so the substitution is 4 pull-ups and 4 dips for each muscle up. The workout earlier this week was 30 muscle ups or 120 pull-ups and 120 dips. I completed this without a problem. However, the next day involved 100 pullups so I only completed 3 rounds (60 pull-ups) to avoid injury.

If you have any questions about Crossfit, I would be happy to answer them.

monday- biceps tuesday back????

your bi's are getting a beating 2 days in a row.

you gotta get yourself onto a 4 day split.

what are you training for mass, strenth, endurance?