Gasses other than Nitrogen in tires?

Back in my roadracing days we used nitrogen in the tires to help keep the pressure more constant going from cold to hot, so I was wondering if other gasses would also work in the tires.

My studded tires add a lot of unsprung weight and anything to lighten them up would help, so I decided to try helium. MAN, does it WORK! Maybe a little too well.

Inert gases do not take part in combustion processes, they generally do not react with other materials. An inert gas supplied to a limited space will reduce the amount of oxygen and even limit a combustion process such as a fire. So in theory you could try these:

Argon, Carbon Dioxide, Helium ? , Neon, Nitrogen :eek: , and Xenon

Flammable gases together with air or oxygen in the right concentration (pressure variations) will burn and/or explode:eek: if ignited. Should probably stay away from these:

:D ...Acetylene, Ammonia, Arsine, Butane, Carbon Monoxide, Cyclopropane, Ethane, Ethylene, Ethyl Chloride, Hydrogen, Isobutan, Methane, Methyl Chloride, Propane, Propylene, Silane...:ride:

I personally like the helium idea:applause:

I guess you plan to spend the day bending each stud slightly to 'catch' the ice and get it to stay down!

Haha, good one William. ?

I was weighing the bike to see the final tally with all fluids and spiked tires. I balanced the side stand on the scale and when I stepped back it looked like it was floating.

Ready to ride (no fuel) she tips in at 280 pounds.

Inert gases do not take part in combustion processes, they generally do not react with other materials. An inert gas supplied to a limited space will reduce the amount of oxygen and even limit a combustion process such as a fire. So in theory you could try these:

Argon, Carbon Dioxide, Helium :eek: , Neon, Nitrogen :D , and Xenon

Flammable gases together with air or oxygen in the right concentration (pressure variations) will burn and/or explode:eek: if ignited. Should probably stay away from these:

? ...Acetylene, Ammonia, Arsine, Butane, Carbon Monoxide, Cyclopropane, Ethane, Ethylene, Ethyl Chloride, Hydrogen, Isobutan, Methane, Methyl Chloride, Propane, Propylene, Silane...:ride:

I personally like the helium idea:applause:

Check out the big brain on DS! :ride:

Hey, you didn't mention Krypton. I spec'd that as the gas to be used in between the glass of the thermopane windows at the hospital. It's very dense so it doesn't convect as much as air, or Argon, which is typically used. This translates into less heat loss These Krypton windows are a first for Nunavut. They have a center of glass R value of R 12, as good as a 2 X 4 wall insulated with fiberglassbatt.

Hey, you didn't mention Krypton. I spec'd that as the gas to be used in between the glass of the thermopane windows at the hospital. It's very dense so it doesn't convect as much as air, or Argon, which is typically used. This translates into less heat loss These Krypton windows are a first for Nunavut. They have a center of glass R value of R 12, as good as a 2 X 4 wall insulated with fiberglassbatt.

Your not contemplating a Krypton loot from the hospital windows are you??

Helium filled tires are far too bouyant, I'm switching back to fresh air.

Summer air, or Winter air?

Summer air should split the difference between helium and Winter air. :eek: so your bike will have less tendency to flip over like that...

I've saved some [summer air] from last year. Let me know, I'll give you a good deal! ?