Sign in to follow this  

Project: CRF230 11:1 Wiseco Piston/Cam

I've finally decided to do it, I'll be running a 11:1 High-Comp Wiseco Piston and "Coeshow" Cam pretty soon along with titanium valve springs/retainers and new rockers. Also getting new sprockets, going Renthal rear. Friday night I removed the motor from the frame and took the cylinder off. All in all it went pretty fast. Definetly have a better understanding of how a motor works. I'll be sending my head to Coeshow next week and he'll get it setup for me. He figured my motor will be running at right about 23 HP. This should be a nice little boost, I'm guestimating that I'm running with 18 or so right now. I'm wide open to any advice from anyone who has done this already.

I'll keep you guys up to date.

-Matt:thumbsup:

BTW, can someone give me a write up of how to get the timing chain setup properly. I'm gonna have to set all of that. When I took my head off, my timing chain was awful tight, are they supposed to be that tight? The cam wouldn't even sit right without compressing the head and tightening the bolts and what not. I might just end up ordering a service manual.

-Matt

I just picked on up off of ebay. You have to put in all the variables Like this:

honda CRF230F CRF 230 f CRF230 CRF 230F service manual repair manual etc. Try them seperate try them together. I was out bid at 33.00/10.00 ship and did another surch, found it for buy it now 24.99 and 4.00 shipping. It came and its brand new in the wrapper 03 to 06.

let me know how you like this set-up matt

i have the piston, still need to do the cam, but i cant put that investment down right now, just need to know if im gonna do it later :thumbsup:

buddy1901, yeah I'll let you know. I'm thinking I'll do like a 3 day delivery, I'm too exited to get this thing back togther. Hope it doesn't take to long in it's make over in California...lol.

The thing that worries me the most is to get the timing correct. Think I need to take the fly wheel off. For example, lets say I have the timing off by one tooth. Is it gonna be obvious that I have it incorrect? Laying down this kind of cash I don't want to risk having anything wrong.

-Matt

Well, there should be marks on the gear that runs the timing chain off the crank. Just like there was marks on the gear off the cam. What to line them up on though I don't know. I'm gonna order a service manual. Overall, I'd say this is a fairy simple job. I would feel safer with a manual. Getting the new piston in the cylinder will be a bit of a chore too. I'll have to get a ring compressor for that. I've got over a month before I can start riding again anyways, so I have more than enough time to get this project figured out.

-Matt

Well, there should be marks on the gear that runs the timing chain off the crank. Just like there was marks on the gear off the cam. What to line them up on though I don't know. I'm gonna order a service manual. Overall, I'd say this is a fairy simple job. I would feel safer with a manual. Getting the new piston in the cylinder will be a bit of a chore too. I'll have to get a ring compressor for that. I've got over a month before I can start riding again anyways, so I have more than enough time to get this project figured out.

-Matt

well, my friend put his car engine back together and he didnt put the auto tensioner on before setting the timing, ended up one tooth off.

totaled the whole driver's side of the V8, punched holed through pistons, bent valves, snapped valves, scored the cyl. walls.

and it didnt even start..

that was just from attempting to start it lol!

im going to my other house today, ill get my service manual and PM you the info.

and im not sure about the rings, i dont remember reading anything about that in the manual, ill know for sure tonight, if i get a chance to use my scanner ill send it to ya, but dont tell honda :thumbsup:

why do you have over a month before you can start riding did you get injured or something.

I live in Saskatchewan, Canada. Meaning, in the fields and trails there is a couple feet of snow. The snow has basically just begun to melt. I normally won't get out into the fields until the end of April or even May. I started this project so early just to have it done by then. I don't expect to have this project done till the end of April due to the shipping time. We'll see, maybe this will come together sooner than I thought. Once I have my stuff it should take one Friday after school.

-Matt

mike is setting me up with the same setup i think except mine will be running pump gas. i have a new front and rear end suspension coming in this week and i think i will be doing it all at the same time, i just wonder if this is something i can do at home. i have access to most tools(i am a fulltime gm tech) and i will get a service manual , but do you know if there is anything special needed other than just r&r'ing parts with coeshow's parts?

thanks mikemassey

mike is setting me up with the same setup i think except mine will be running pump gas. i have a new front and rear end suspension coming in this week and i think i will be doing it all at the same time, i just wonder if this is something i can do at home. i have access to most tools(i am a fulltime gm tech) and i will get a service manual , but do you know if there is anything special needed other than just r&r'ing parts with coeshow's parts?

thanks mikemassey

Mike is installing the head components for me, ie. (retainers/springs/rockers). Otherwise I'm doing the rest myself. Honestly, when I took it apart on Friday I was surprised how simple everything was. I can do it myself. I just didn't have the proper tools for the valve springs. If your a GM mechanic you'll surely be able to do this. From what I could tell, there were no special out of the ordinary tools needed other than to change the valve springs. My dad has tons of tools, but they are too big for small engines. All we have is tools big that are used on our tractors and heavy equipment.

Hope I could somewhat help you.

I've finally decided to do it, I'll be running a 11:1 High-Comp Wiseco Piston and "Coeshow" Cam pretty soon along with titanium valve springs/retainers and new rockers. Also getting new sprockets, going Renthal rear. Friday night I removed the motor from the frame and took the cylinder off. All in all it went pretty fast. Definetly have a better understanding of how a motor works. I'll be sending my head to Coeshow next week and he'll get it setup for me. He figured my motor will be running at right about 23 HP. This should be a nice little boost, I'm guestimating that I'm running with 18 or so right now. I'm wide open to any advice from anyone who has done this already.

I'll keep you guys up to date.

23 horspower may be a little optimistic without a big carb and a bit of porting work. Do you have a dyno for these numbers.

In regards to the service manual, i got a 2003-2004 one for really cheap, the guy said he had a 2006 and wanted the right year. I thought to myself, the 230 wasn't changed from 2003-2007 lol, so i jumped on it, think it was like 10$ shipping and all. Good luck:thumbsup:

23 horspower may be a little optimistic without a big carb and a bit of porting work. Do you have a dyno for these numbers.

I did say "he" figured my bike will be running right at about 23 Hp. Do you have dyno's to prove otherwise? I don't have one, you should consult Coeshow, not me.

-Matt

I have never seen any info to say it's not possible. Just going from other info Iv'e seen.

The sheet says this bike has 30mm carb and is bored to 250cc with 11.5 comp. and it just squeeks out 23 horpower. But it's the only dyno run on a modded 230 that I have seen.

You are going to love whatever power you get. I have spent a lot of time riding a 230 modded motor in a 150F frame and it is a total blast.

Take a look.

http://xr100.com/dyno.htm#2004%20CRF230%20with%20an%20EO%20250cc%20big%20bore%20kit