Sign in to follow this  

xt 350 mpg

thanks pwrpapa ,Ijust repainted the frame new forkseals extra rims with street tire's for fun mt21's on the other set!!! save the planet restore your old dualsport !!!

thanks pwrpapa ,Ijust repainted the frame new forkseals extra rims with street tire's for fun mt21's on the other set!!! save the planet restore your old dualsport !!!

I'm a retired cycle tech an all I do now is restore older bikes, I love it.

Keep up the good work.

Depends on how how hard you run it.

Going mellow, like 45, on the pavement might get you that 65. On the trail or pushing it really hard perhaps as low as 40. Crazy single track where you can't hardly get out of first, even less.

3 bikes took a 200 mile ride consisting of single track / highway / and abandoned rail line without the rails. Speed varied from 10mph to 70. They were a XT350, XL250r and DRZ400S. Bikes averaged the same mileage. 45 mpg. You would expect the 250 to get the best mileage but was not the case.

I get 40 MPG as a low and almost 55 MPG as a high on my XT550 as a reference... Generally day to day riding nets me 45 MPG.

3 bikes took a 200 mile ride consisting of single track / highway / and abandoned rail line without the rails. Speed varied from 10mph to 70. They were a XT350, XL250r and DRZ400S. Bikes averaged the same mileage. 45 mpg. You would expect the 250 to get the best mileage but was not the case.

250's working harder to keep up with the bigger bros.

Run each separately on the street (250 not trying to keep up with bigger bikes) and I'd wager the 250 by a large margin. (If not flogged)

well she's almost put back together have new street tires for it ! on a extra set of rim mt 21's for fun . Frame motor swing arm all freashly painted. plastic old and faded. clarke tank. ss braided brake line. cobra pipe. when it's done i will tell you what kind of mpg i get .

250's working harder to keep up with the bigger bros.

Run each separately on the street (250 not trying to keep up with bigger bikes) and I'd wager the 250 by a large margin. (If not flogged)

I don't think that is the case. The high speed (relative) portion only lasted about 10 miles. The rest was easy going. The bikes covered pretty well the same distance. The DRZ400 was mine. It replaced a XL250 and I found no difference in fuel economy high or low or in between speeds.

do you think a id give up MPG's going from a xl250 to a xl350? i like the fact that the 350's have disc brakes (im talking 80's models here). but i will say the 250 looks ALOT nicer...

well she's almost put back together have new street tires for it ! on a extra set of rim mt 21's for fun . Frame motor swing arm all freashly painted. plastic old and faded. clarke tank. ss braided brake line. cobra pipe. when it's done i will tell you what kind of mpg i get .

Got any pictures of the bike?

I've had 4 dual purpose bikes over the past 20 years.

1980 Honda XL100S 94mpg - max speed 35MPH

1978 Honda XL250S 70mpg - front drum brake - scary downhill

1984 Honda XL600R 35mpg - best street bike - heavy

1985 Yamaha XT350 60mpg - best overall bike

All on street. I sold the XL600 years ago when I realized some cars get better mileage. The power was great on the 600 but it was TOO heavy in the dirt. I just dug the XT350 out of the garage and registered it after 8 years in storage. I put a washer under the carb needle and power improved considerably. It runs like an XL now. Hope I still get 60mpg.

I just dug the XT350 out of the garage and registered it after 8 years in storage. I put a washer under the carb needle and power improved considerably. It runs like an XL now. Hope I still get 60mpg.

what do you mean put a washer under the carb needle???

Other threads on this forum describe how the XT350 is jetted lean for emissions. They describe putting a washer under the carb needle to richen the midrange rpms.

58 mpg. Just tested last week. 1992 XT350. Very slight mods. c good

I just bought this 89 XT with 6000miles for a commuter bike and my last four tanks have been all street and they are 55,58,63 and 55mpg, I just re jetted this bike and now it finally runs like it should, I am at sea level and it was super lean, drilled out both mains and pilot and put one washer under each needle and what a differance. Starts, idles and runs insane :thumbsup: compared to how I got it with the stock jets in it, also opened the airbox up some.