Sign in to follow this  

Bought the wife a neat old Honda

Just bought an 86 XL250R with 2,200 miles on it. I rode it home, and it seems a bit sluggish, but I'm used to much bigger bikes and I'm alot heavier than when I used to ride 250's.

It's not my bike so I'm not worried about the power, the wife is not a power junkie like me.

I'm just wondering if I should look for any problems with this model. It is the RFVC engine with dual carbs. All in all it seem s like a great little commuter scooter for my honey. Thanks All

Brian

Get it fully tuned up,oil service,air filter to an aftermarket brand,and do the Gordon mods,premium gas,if its still sluggish,put on a bigger rear sprocket,Ill but it hasnt been uncorked yet,if its running sluggish.Good luck!! Never loan out your motorcycle or your old lady,you can get a rod slung in either one!!

Thanks Ron! not loaning either out. I really don't want to do mods to the bike. It has plenty of power for her .

What are those carbs like to clean? twin carbs worry me.

They're just two singles with linkage between. The only real pain is getting them out of the frame. Clean each barrel individually so you don't get parts mixed up and you'll be fine.

Great starter bike. Engines were pretty solid. They are sluggish because they only make about 20 horsepower.

Great starter bike. Engines were pretty solid. They are sluggish because they only make about 20 horsepower.

Thats all current XR250's make!:thumbsup:

Thanks guys!

Would it be OK to run a carb cleaner spray through them while the engine is running?

Carb cleaner probably wouldn't do much. Bike that old should have carb taken apart and cleaned anyway since it was probably stored for awhile. Easy to do once you get the carb off. Also check CV carb diaphragm for leaks and cracking(located under silver cover on top of carb). If leaking or stuck will cause big power loss.

Good Luck!

They arent CV. Pretty much the same as the dual carb XRs, just a little smaller.

They arent CV. Pretty much the same as the dual carb XRs, just a little smaller.

My mistake. Had carb mixed up with another bike.