Sign in to follow this  

08 yz250f sprockets, chain junk

Was wondering if anyone has any time on there new sprockets? Are the sunstars that come on it junk? The chain looks cheap, also what gear ratios are you running? Gonna buy a new chain just wondering if i should buy sprockets too.

I am still running stock I have about 6 rides 10hrs on it. When the stock wears out is when I get new. On a 4 stroke forget about aluminum stick with steel sprockets. Rocky mountian ATV has Primary drive sprockets and chains with prices that cant be beat and the are quality to boot.

You can get away with a couple of rides with the stock chain, but I wouldn't run it for too long. What I do is take it off immediately on my new bike, and put on a quality chain. This way, when I sell the bike, I toss the used chain and put back on the brand new stocker. Also, you'll be surprised how long the stock sprocket lasts with good maintainance. I wouldn't say it's the best, but it's worthy for a while, as long as you keep your chain clean and lubed.

Also, most people I know go up one tooth on their rear sprocket, from a 48T to a 49T. A 50T rear sprocket seems like too much. I think the 08's already come with a 49T though.....not sure if there were any internal gear changes on the 08. Try the stock gearing first, and go from there....

think the 08's already come with a 49T though.....not sure if there were any internal gear changes on the 08

My 08 did come with a 49 rear,I think i was reading about gear changes in the tranny but not 100% sure.But i was reading on the testing and they said a 50 tooth made a world of difference. I ride on tight tracks.

Stock sprockets are decent quality, but remove the chain and buy a quality o/x ring chain. Last much longer.

I'm torn on what to buy tag or renthal sprockets, i have read on posts here alot of guy's like the tag sprockets? Renthasl on my 01 held up fairly good, never used tag sprockets before.

if you ride in any amount of mud i would go with steel you will get a lot more life out of them and regina orn oring chains are top notch:thumbsup: with a great price

I have had to adjust my stock chain a couple of times but other than that it is good. My sprockets and chain still look good after +20 hours.

I have had to adjust my stock chain a couple of times but other than that it is good. My sprockets and chain still look good after +20 hours.

are you a fair weather rider? do you ever ride in mud , it kills cheap chains in a heart beat i doubt you do much mud riding in fl

16 hours on my 08 and after a couple mud/sand rides recently the stock stuff was totally shot, chain was worn badly and the sprockets were showing wear. Tossed them and went with steel primary drive with the gold race chain, used the PD setup on my 06/07's and they are fine for the money.

I am running a gold O ring chain (RK I believe) with the stock sprockets on mine. I wanted one that would last, it may rob a little power but its not noticable to me.

I have used Rocky Mountains brand of choice, Primary drive. I usually get an entire season out of the chain and sprockets. Very good price. Have gone through 3 sets already on three bikes, very pleased with the quality.

Thanks guy's for all the input, I decided to buy a set of tag sprockets today and good quality o ring chain.

I just ordered a set of Tag sprockets and O ring chain myself. Im interested to see how they hold up compared to the old DID and steel setup I used to run.

are you a fair weather rider? do you ever ride in mud , it kills cheap chains in a heart beat i doubt you do much mud riding in fl

Dude, I do a lot of mud riding here. It rains alot here in Fl.