Sign in to follow this  

My head is finished, on the way back to me

Agent Smith took great pics, and took even better care of me. I'm amazed by how clean and great my head turned out. Thought I should share some of the pics. It will be pretty obvious which pics are before, and which are after. :thumbsup:

sbabs010.jpg

sbabs011.jpg

sbabs003.jpg

sbabs030.jpg

sbabs014.jpg

sbabs005.jpg

sbabs008.jpg

sbabs033.jpg

He took a lot more pics, over 33, and his work looks top notch, I can't believe how clean and great the parts turned out. I showed the pics to my 64 year old friend who's ridden forever, (and can still make a young man cry doing a hardcore trail ride) and he said that me sending it off to AS was a great move. He had originally told me to take it to a local guy, but aside from having the bike down for only a few more days, this was by far the best way to go. They're reat to deal with, do great work, and are priced very very fair. Even with shipping it will not cost much more than the local guy, who by the way has not done a CRF head before. Chalk in the fact that AS is always ready to help with good sound advice and it's just a no brainer. I think people like this are what make TT so great.

I hope to have the bike back together by next weekend, I need to get a few rides in and break it in. Next month I'll be riding in my first ever harescramble, where I expect to win last place. :eek:

Oh, did I mention that AS did a mild port and polish for me? How's that for service?

Here's the real funny part to me. I asked my local dealer what doing intakes would run. He was very honest and told me if I brought him the part, he'd send it out to a small engine machine shop , so he was actually the middle man. The dealer does not have the facilities and or expertiese to do the work and instead they send the parts to a small engine repair shop! Pretty amazing huh? He also told me while they'd clean up the valves, it would not be bead blasted so I'm sure it would look nowhere near this good. As my friend told me when he saw these pics, "This guy went above and beyond what a good job should be. You scored."

Shameless plug time:

If anyone here is thinking it's valve time, don't hesitate to contact Agent Smith. You'll get great service, and they are great people who do great work at a more than reasonable cost. It's really an easy process too. Simply send them your head, valves, and other parts to be replaced, along with a return label for the box, and a check for the work to be done. Turnaround is very quick. They got my head on Thursday and on Friday it was done. You can't beat that.

• Like 1

Try it yourself next time...thats even more impressive.... Its not hard to do ..and if you rebuilt it before your valves spec out....their will be no machining required..thus no special tools....Just replace the parts.....Now that would be impressive to most. If I may ask what wasn't capable of being done by yourself at home with your own tools.???? Don't get me wrong,but I'm curius. Put the head and parts in the dishwasher and .....they come out pretty amazingly clean...well worth it during the rebuild as long as your wife doesn't catch you. I find on this site ...that peaple are scared to replace parts without some expert telling them too. These engines last alot longer when new parts are installed before the old ones fail. I've proven it to my freinds with very little extra dollars. I'm going on my third season without any problems...I would guess 120 hours so far...no machining of any kind yet...maybe next valve install I will need guides installed. But they are still good right now. I don't know what this just cost you,but you can do it yourself and all the parts are about 350.00 bucks and a Saturday afternoon. These engines have what I call extremely cheap angine components. Piston $50.00 rings 20.00, all 4 valves 120.00... all 4 springs 65.00 locks ands gaskets another 100.00...Thats it.. Thats what I spend and do every spring...and I never have so far needed anything machined .And never had a valve go out of spec. My bike is ccc moded and I run her hard. Did I mention this can also be fun to do. And a great feeling of accomplishment when done.

Try it yourself next time...thats even more impressive.... Its not hard to do ..and if you rebuilt it before your valves spec out....their will be no machining required..thus no special tools....Just replace the parts.....Now that would be impressive to most. If I may ask what wasn't capable of being done by yourself at home with your own tools.???? Don't get me wrong,but I'm curius. Put the head and parts in the dishwasher and .....they come out pretty amazingly clean...well worth it during the rebuild as long as your wife doesn't catch you. I find on this site ...that peaple are scared to replace parts without some expert telling them too. These engines last alot longer when new parts are installed before the old ones fail. I've proven it to my freinds with very little extra dollars. I'm going on my third season without any problems...I would guess 120 hours so far...no machining of any kind yet...maybe next valve install I will need guides installed. But they are still good right now. I don't know what this just cost you,but you can do it yourself and all the parts are about 350.00 bucks and a Saturday afternoon. These engines have what I call extremely cheap angine components. Piston $50.00 rings 20.00, all 4 valves 120.00... all 4 springs 65.00 locks ands gaskets another 100.00...Thats it.. Thats what I spend and do every spring...and I never have so far needed anything machined .And never had a valve go out of spec. My bike is ccc moded and I run her hard. Did I mention this can also be fun to do. And a great feeling of accomplishment when done.

I may have been able to take the route you mention, but I am learning as I go, and I wanted the job done right, without issues. I wanted to have new seats cut. New Faction MX valves were purchased. I don't know enough about the valve components to be a good judge of what needs to be replaced and what does not. I also don't want to go into the top end again for a while. To me, it's a PITA. I want to ride it, and do my routine maintenance. I figured that by having the better than stock valves installed I'd buy myself more time between valve jobs. I guess time will tell. For the price I paid, it was money well spent. IMO AS is exceptionally reasonable, and the job is done right.

Also, I don't know what kind of dishwasher you have, but there's no way it's gonna look like the pics above being done in a dishwasher. I've cleaned enough XR400s up enough to know that you need good solvent and you still scrub. I usually remove carbon deposits with a scothbrite and carb cleaner, but they don't come out looking like the work AS did. My stuff is going in clean and the way it should be.

Maybe I can sit in on a job with him when I go to California visit. Then I'll feel more comfortable next time around.

I'm anxious to see how the bike rides with the new top end, cam, and exhaust.

I believe if you know what you are doing than doing it yourself may be an option. However you have to know what to look for when doing the repair. I know these engines have a bad reputation for eating valves. Some have had the valves zero out at less than 10 hours. The reasons have been discussed at length in the 250r and 250x forum. Alot of the problems seem to be from problems during the manufacter process. If you change valves on one of these engines with out cutting the seats and the seats are not sqare to the valve guides then you will be doing the job again. Just replacing the valves is not a valve job. In some cases replacing the valves is all that is needed other times cutting and locating the valve seat on the valve face is needed. It takes a person of professional talent to inspect and recognize when more work is needed. If you have been getting away with it for 120 hours consider yourself lucky. Your machine work was spot on from the factory. I would venture guess you would get similar hours with your stock valves on your motor. You obviously take care and know what maintanance is needed to give your engine a long life. I have heard alot of stories of someone replacing there valves and having them go out again in a very short amount of time. That is the instance when sending them to a professional with a good reputation, AKA agentsmith, pays off.

• Like 2

I agree with both of you......I do know what to look for... But I may add...that if you don't have a a problemm bike...and your getting up there in hours...Just replace the valves and springs ....they don't need to be machined or anything.....If you wait too long then ya, you wreck the seat and then need the machine work. These valves start to cup then burn the seats because the angle isn't right anymore.... If you catch this process before you burn that seat....your good to go. just new parts and shim..

Oh ya I used sunlight dishwahingh soap in my 10 year old maytag dishwasher. I use this process all the time for any part or object I need cleaning that will fit in there. Yes it won't look like the pic above but it will be nmoere than clean enough to reinstall parts and come out suprisingly clean. Oh ya I do have stock valves in there. they seem to work great for me....good for at least 30 or 40 hours...then I rip them out before they wreck my seats. Cheers

A few weeks ago I sent A/S a new '07r head with all new components (Faction SS etc.) and in short order it was back all assembled ready to go (sans free port and polish :eek: ) For less than $60.00 I have piece of mind that everthing is as it should be. Well, today I finally got out for a ride and what a ride it was. I replace my Stage 1 HC with a '07r cam along with the head. If there was a loss of low end, it was mimimal at most. I can lug it along as always, no problem. The mid range and upper mid really rock the house now, I'm totally happy with the outcome. Could I have assembled the head and had the same results I had today? - probably. But what a small price to pay knowing that next week, and the week after that, and the week after that etc. I'll still be grinning ear to ear. Thanks for the excellent service and piece of mind AgentSmith.:thumbsup:

• Like 1

I agree with AS if your going to do the work you should have the proper tools and equipment and experience .I may get 2 heads a year that did not need exhaust valve guides replaced .There are so many bike shops out there that still try to do seat work with equipment like new way cutters and lap the crap out of the valves to get a good valve seat when there done the oems use to recomend those tools. reams are also a poor way of finishing the guides a ream is fine for roughing but a nice hone finish with a light cross hatch is way superior with finsh and sizing.

wow...ok then...Well I guess I've been lucky... I was looking at the valve seat and looking closely at the pattern were it seats the valve. Mine alwys look good and within spec of my manuall. I know the guides are probably going bad by now with a hundred hours on it, but I have never had to machine anything. And from what I see on this site....that allignment is very important. My was good from factory and I want it too last as long as possible in case some one screws it up trying to make it better. I live in Canada...and we don't have cheap access to AS or Ron Hamp...etc... And the only advice I got ...was from a top notch Honda Mechanic/Racer who rebuilds these for his son s race bike all the time. Yes 350 a year might not be the cheapest,thats was also with a piston and rings don't forget. But I never have to worry about blowing a piston...or burning valves and left stranded or out of comission half way through the season. We have winter up here ,so thats a big deal to get as much of summer as possible . So. I guess for me its working good,for others not so...but hay can you blame me...I'm sorry for promoting my way ...as its not my profession,nor is it always the right answer,but its been working for me. And I like to ride and not worry... Ron I have never touched my seats. No lapping or anything. New valves dropeed right in and seat excellent three seasons in a row. My bike runs very stronge all the time nver stalls or hard to start,Never breaks down....So maybe someone could explain how I can do this ,but Your telling me its not right.... All I'm saying in short is You can replace the valves before you have a problem,and it buys you considerable amount of riding time compared to riding until you have an issues and either try to shim,which doesn't sound like that last very long,or get the whiole head rebuilt. I do know that next year I need a total head rebiuld,but I'm going to get 150 hours out of it for 1000.00 total.. thats piston every season also. Hard to beat with no down time during riding season. Maybe my luck will run out thiss year and drop a valve or something. Hope not.... Sorry if I sounded to assertive.... Sometime s I should proof read..I sound like a no it all sometimes.....ooopps. Just my experience with these x's so far. Maybe we get better bikes up here in Canada....lol

Crfbikerboy the way your putting valves in is not a problem as long as the oem titanium valve has not worn through the coating and distorted the valve seat it should conform to the new valve and should not wear it .i was refering to when a valve does go on the intake side then it should be sent to some one that has experience and proper equipment to do the job right .yes your exhaust guides and seats are probally worn but they wont keep the bike from running .if i get a head in hear i renew it to new specification which 99% of the time require exhaust valve guides .

I have to hand it to Agent Smith! Very knowledgeable and willing to give good advice to anyone.

My bike runs like a champ on the track/trails with just the suggestions he gave me.

And Ron Hamp backs him up, good stuff.

• Like 1

Im assuming AS has good equipment and and a few years of experience i dont recomend any one .

• Like 1

I got the head today. I was pleasantly surprised. I just wish I could find the time to start on it in the next few days. I've got a hectic schedule but I have to do it. Basically, the part left the midwest and got back to me in less than a week, and that's with them having to get parts I forgot to get. I can't say enough about AS. I know I made a good move, but I'll let you all know how she runs after breakin.

• Like 1

Im assuming AS has good equipment and and a few years of experience i dont recomend any one .

I'm lucky enough to only live a few hours from Ron - he set up the new 2007 R head that I put on my wife's 2006 X. Good Stuff. :thumbsup:

And Ron Hamp backs him up, good stuff.

No he didn't. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out the intended meaning of this:

There are so many bike shops out there that still try to do seat work with equipment like new way cutters and lap the crap out of the valves to get a good valve seat when there done the oems use to recomend those tools. reams are also a poor way of finishing the guides a ream is fine for roughing but a nice hone finish with a light cross hatch is way superior with finsh and sizing.

I bought my head from Ron, and AS is a friend, so I will stay out of this one.

I bought my head from Ron, and AS is a friend, so I will stay out of this one.

I think your purchase tells the story.

I also have bought parts and a head from Ron, have had zero problems with dealing with ron. He has been doing it a long time and knows his stuff.

• Like 1

I also have bought parts and a head from Ron, have had zero problems with dealing with ron. He has been doing it a long time and knows his stuff.

AS wasn't in business when I bought my valve head.
  • Like 2

I'm kind of perplexed at why some are attempting to degrade others here with statements such as above.

AS does quality work. Sure, he's not been at it as long as Ron, but there was a time when Ron was not at it as long as others. That's the nature of the beast. I don't think anyone needs to say one does better work than the other regarding this post. I started the post to state that AS does great work, has great turnaround, and that's that. All of a sudden there's a "story".

Pretty harsh to "assume" what someone means and basically put words in someone's mouth. Have you seen the work AS does personally? If not you might not want to chime in, vague or not. I don't think that was a fair statement on your part in any way.

Again, my head came back to me looking like a brand new piece of equipment, probably in better shape than when it was new. Packaged well, shipped promptly, etc. I'll be sure to get the bike back together quickly so that I can provide a real world test to the work AS does.

Thanks again AS.

I think experience is the point being made here. AS you certainly are a wealth of help but please don't put your self out as a experienced engine builder. one short year ago you never had one of these engines apart. AS I hope you have a successful business doing engine work (quality work is always valued) just be honest to TT and customers about actual experience doing this type of work.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=460508&page=2

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=476891