Sign in to follow this  

YZ250F Frame Switch??

is it possible to switch a 2003 yz250f frame with an aluminum frame? i think in 06' they changed the engine alil but im not sure. if anyone has any info plz share.

thanks!

Yes it is possible, but it would probably cost more than buying a aluminum framed bike and selling yours. You will need a new frame, radiators, subframe, seat, plastic, engine mounts, airbox, gas tank, shock linkage, and a few other bits and pieces. The swingarm and triple clamps should swap, but you will probably have to grind down the steering stops a bit. Pricing up some pieces on ebay it looks like if you got used parts it would cost around $1200 give or take. Then you ave to remember that you still have old suspension and engine components. It would be a lot cheaper to upgrade, you can find used 06's for $3400 all day long.

yea your right, thanks for enlightening me. i guess ill chill with this bike untill it starts to go and then ill get a new one. either that or sell mine, save up and then get one. but no need to think of that now :thumbsup:

nothing wrong with steel chromoly frames bro

KTM still uses them, and there bikes frames are lighter and as stiff

yea. my bikes frame is battered. i will get a new one some day i was just seeing if it was possible and worth it to get aluminum. apparently not tho

My opinion ($0.02) is the steel frame bikes are easier to work on. The actual frame weighs the same, just has different flex characteristics. Try working on a carb on an AL bike, just look at pics. My YZ250Fs are 02 and 03 and much easier to work on. The forks on the newer bikes are different and much easier to tune and can be softened up nicely.

yeah, you just spin a clicker and you change compression/rebound on my Kayaba's

my friends CRF250X sucks to work on, my bike is really easy.

they need to make ktm frames out of titanium and put them in our bikes LOL

i hear that aluminum frames will torque, twist and bend easier than steel even tho there is a bigger mass of aluminum than steel. is this true?

NO, aluminium frames offer more structural regididy so when you turn it allows the suspension to stay in place and do what it was designed to do.

the steel chromoly frames are better for desert racing because you never have to go through nearly as many tight turns, so lateral regididy is not a big deal, and the steel chromoly frame tends to act as a 3rd shock absorber over big bumps, its a more comfortable chassis.

aluminium frames look cool, and are seen as "SUPERIOR", which is not the case, because KTMs frame is actually "SUPERIOR". there frame is oddly(oval) shapped though, its not perfectly round like ours

• Like 1

NO, aluminium frames offer more structural regididy so when you turn it allows the suspension to stay in place and do what it was designed to do.

the steel chromoly frames are better for desert racing because you never have to go through nearly as many tight turns, so lateral regididy is not a big deal, and the steel chromoly frame tends to act as a 3rd shock absorber over big bumps, its a more comfortable chassis.

aluminium frames look cool, and are seen as "SUPERIOR", which is not the case, because KTMs frame is actually "SUPERIOR". there frame is oddly(oval) shapped though, its not perfectly round like ours

word, thanks for info:thinking:

My opinion ($0.02) is the steel frame bikes are easier to work on. The actual frame weighs the same, just has different flex characteristics. Try working on a carb on an AL bike, just look at pics. My YZ250Fs are 02 and 03 and much easier to work on. The forks on the newer bikes are different and much easier to tune and can be softened up nicely.

I agree 100%. I own an 03 and have worked on an 06 crf250r and an 07 yz250f. Both aluminum framed bikes are hard to work on the engine and carb in. I am not sure about the fork tuning though.

fork tuning on my bike is easy, it has clickers for small track adjustments, even though i don't race track. going to try and race desert but havn't had time yet.

you have to drill holes to do drastic changes and put different springs. which requires the forks to be pulled out, and it doesn't matter what kind of frame you have then

i put an 04 wr 250f motor in an 06 alumminum framed yz250f.it bolted right in

ok, but that frame also has a different exhaust, subframe, and other parts that you would have to buy

Look at the second post, it pretty much lays out what needs to swap. One thing I left off that list is the exhaust, though the old header could be used.

i bought the 06 with an blown motor for $2200.00.sold the motor out of it for $450.00, the rolling chassis of the wr $ 750.00. it cost me $1000.00 to do the swap. i paid $ 2600.00 for the wr with 300 miles on it

just strip it down and take the frame to a powder coater. it will cost you a couple hundred $ and will look bad ass. or sand and paint it yourself and save even more cash. aluminum frames are just a trend and have no real performance advantages.

just strip it down and take the frame to a powder coater. it will cost you a couple hundred $ and will look bad ass. or sand and paint it yourself and save even more cash. aluminum frames are just a trend and have no real performance advantages.

they hinder performance in off road racing. thats why BMW's High Performance 2 bike (HP2) uses a steel chromoly frame which has lateral rigidity and flexs a bit on bumps to abosorb impact. alloy frames just help you turn a little bit better being more rigid all around

ducati aprillia and other big companies still use steel frames