Sign in to follow this  

timing chain

:thumbsup: i have what the dealers say is timing chain noise.my bike is an 02 klx300r with 2000 miles on it.it has always had consistent oil changes & mantaince .the bike is not abused,can any one say if the timing chain should have slope in it at only 2000 miles. also iam looking for a used pumper carb & cables for it:ride:

The cam chain has an automatic tensioner.

These things make noise. Some more than others but it shouldn't be worn out in 2k miles.

There was a feller on here that found the noise objectionable and made an adjustable tensioner. Claimed it made it quiet but I wonder if he made it too tight.

If you feel unsure about the chain being stretched? remove the auto-tensioner screw and see if it has tension before it contacts the threads? This is a good indicator that it is Not stretched!

After you remove the bolt from the tensioner, you can also remove the tensioner itself, and see how much 'travel' it has left before it hits the end.

Be sure to back the ratchet down before you re-insert it, and put the bolt that loads the spring in only after everything else is tightened up, otherwise you could over-tension the chain.

My wife's atv was noisy too on the timing chain and the trouble was that the auto binder spring was not setup tight enough from factory. I wind it another turn and I got rid of the problem. Spring was no tight enough to push the plastic slider on the chain. Could be that too? I never saw a klx binder so can't be sure it it could be possible too.

If you feel unsure about the chain being stretched? remove the auto-tensioner screw and see if it has tension before it contacts the threads? This is a good indicator that it is Not stretched!

This is what i would do Just take it out and see if the sutomatic time chain tensioner is all the way out. not to hard to take out and look at. good luck.