Sign in to follow this  

Making a 2005 and up CR250 woods friendly

Sold my 450f to go back to woods and harescrambles after an injury. I loved my 2002 CR250, but everything I read about the 2005 and ups doesn't make them sound like a very good woods bike. Is there something relatively cheap you can do to them to give them more lugability and remove the big mid range hit they apparently have.

I'm a plus 45 rider and don't want a SX style bike. I'm currently debating on this 2006 CR250 I have found, or getting a 250f and putting a Athena kit on it.

Help me decide, I really want the two stroke if I can make it work.

Port it, mill the head, add a boyseen or Vforce reeds, maybe a pipe and silencer (for HS's you will probably need a spark arrestor) add one tooth to the rear sprocket, adjust the suspension for the woods and go have fun.:thumbsup:

All I did to my '07 was jet it properly, v-force reeds, messed with pipes and silencers but am back to the stock pipe now with a fmf silencer. The PC plat2 pipe did seem to give it more on the bottom but took away from top end.

I had springs and re-valve done and I am happy with it. :eek:

If you want to smooth it out a flywheel weight might be the way to go. :thumbsup:

Sold my 450f to go back to woods and harescrambles after an injury. I loved my 2002 CR250, but everything I read about the 2005 and ups doesn't make them sound like a very good woods bike. Is there something relatively cheap you can do to them to give them more lugability and remove the big mid range hit they apparently have.

I'm a plus 45 rider and don't want a SX style bike. I'm currently debating on this 2006 CR250 I have found, or getting a 250f and putting a Athena kit on it.

Help me decide, I really want the two stroke if I can make it work.

I have an 07 CRF 450-X, I love the bike for trails, but a funny thing happened...3 weeks ago I picked up a cherry 03 CR 250 that was already set up for trails.

I though I'd ride it a few times and then sell it for a profit as I got it pretty cheap.

After a run through the local trails, I was hooked...this bike was a blast to ride. I hated the forks but everything else was great.

So, I revalved the forks and the bike is awsome, it's light, great off the pipe power and torque, which is key where I ride...it's just fun, that's the best way to describe it.

FMF gnarly, keep the throttle pinned, your left foot busy, and you my friend will be hauling ass. Seriously, it's all about that right hand left foot relationship with CR250's. A lot of people who say they're slow could still be riding 125s IMO.