So, who came up with the 3x3 mod anyway?

Just wondering.:thumbsup:

Eddie?

When did someone start doing the mod?

I am going to guess.

Back in `99, someone had a kicker and pulled the snorkle, measured the hole, found it was 3" X 3". He jetted his bike. A pal wanted to know what he did, eventually, someone with a S, put a FCR on and emulated the E/K jetting and made the hole the same. Would not be in the least bit surprised if it was Eddie.

Wonder if they know now how big the mod has gotten in the DR-Z world.:thumbsup:

now I have to wonder, when Suzuki engineers were tweaking the engine to make it emissions legal, who thought "let's shrink the airbox snorkel to 1/3 it's original size"

So do any of the nay-sayers who are afraid of things getting into the airbox ever cut their 3x3 so they can fit an E/K snorkel?

First off that thing is really not a snorkel at all, if you are in water deep enough to go in that hole, whether or not it has the restrictor in place, you are in trouble anyway. Think about it the rubber piece is not sealed onto the airbox, it'd be splash proof but not waterproof.

And as for dust, your engine is breathing a certain volume of air to make a certain amount of power whether it goes through a plugged up box or one that is very open.

That thing is there for one basic reason, to lower the amount of noise in the intake system.

now I have to wonder, when Suzuki engineers were tweaking the engine to make it emissions legal, who thought "let's shrink the airbox snorkel to 1/3 it's original size"

So do any of the nay-sayers who are afraid of things getting into the airbox ever cut their 3x3 so they can fit an E/K snorkel?

That would be the engineers in charge of making the bike meet sound regulations. The whole point of the little snorkel is not to reduce the power output of the bike but to make it meet sound regulations. The DRZ motor is a very noisy motor and sound is cumulative. So any noise they can remove from one place(like the intake roar) is noise they can have somewhere else.

That would be the engineers in charge of making the bike meet sound regulations. The whole point of the little snorkel is not to reduce the power output of the bike but to make it meet sound regulations. The DRZ motor is a very noisy motor and sound is cumulative. So any noise they can remove from one place(like the intake roar) is noise they can have somewhere else.

I see. I had assumed it had something to do with emissions.

I have so far been unable to witness the intake roar, as it's barely broken 30°F since I chopped the airbox. :thumbsup:

and yeah, the DRZ motor is noisy as hell. Sounds like it doesn't have any oil in it straight out of the factory, lol. I've only got 50 miles on the bike but I've got an MCCT coming for peace of mind...

it was hold over from the dr350 days.

i just developed jetting to work with the 3x3 mod on the drz.

restricting the intake is 100% about noise reduction.