tubess spoked wheels (SM)

I have seen the big BMW adventure bikes sport tubeless spoked wheels, the spokes go towards the side of the rim rather than the center, so the inside remains sealed.

What options are there for 17" SM wheels in that layout ? No bling necessary and preferrably affordable. I would like to lose the tubes, it seems like such an antiquated design with has no real advantages.

How much money have you got?

Your Choices:

1) BMW style spoked rims, very expensive

2) 'Mag" wheels, very expensive

3) 'Tubeless' conversion kits, cheap but not perfect

4) Do it yourself with silicone, tape and luck, very cheap and not perfect

A few guys have done the last three. Me? I'd only consider the top two. If you tighten your spokes, you run the risk of breaking the seal with #'s 3 and 4.

Alpina sells tubeless spoked wheels but I have not seen any DRZ specific set from them.

I have also seen a kit used to retrofit normal spoked wheels but its use was competition only not street (liability probably).

How much money have you got?

Your Choices:

1) BMW style spoked rims, very expensive

2) 'Mag" wheels, very expensive

3) 'Tubeless' conversion kits, cheap but not perfect

4) Do it yourself with silicone, tape and luck, very cheap and not perfect

A few guys have done the last three. Me? I'd only consider the top two. If you tighten your spokes, you run the risk of breaking the seal with #'s 3 and 4.

I work in the HVAC industry. Years ago we were using a red duct sealer made by DuroDyne that was seemingly bomb proof. It would seal a gas tank and hold. We havent used it in a long time due to cost, fume and cleanup issues. We use water based now. Right now I am working on a 35yr. old hospital retrofit and its a bugger to get off. I'd find me some of that stuff for sealing spokes. Its called S-2

I work in the HVAC industry. Years ago we were using a red duct sealer made by DuroDyne that was seemingly bomb proof. It would seal a gas tank and hold. We havent used it in a long time due to cost, fume and cleanup issues. We use water based now. Right now I am working on a 35yr. old hospital retrofit and its a bugger to get off. I'd find me some of that stuff for sealing spokes. Its called S-2

The problem with many sealers on the spoke heads is what happens when you tighten the spokes.

How much are the Alpinas, and where to find them ? Can't find them on motostrano outside of a few articles referring to nonexistent pages.