Old Time MX Old Time Fans

Supercross

Ok maybe not from day 1 but from the late 70s to the early 90's I have recalled a lot of bumping, trash talking, and rivalry making the sport more interesting. In the last 15 years or so I have heard more and more people complain about the aforementioned. Can we not show any emotions any more? People bash Reed because he's upset when he doesn't win, or J-Laws head games. Tyler Evans- I'm not going there. Anyways these guys are competitors stepping out of the politically correct and calling a spade a spade. Why should we as fans complain about a little contact in the corners or someone speaking their mind have we become *******?- it makes racing a little more natural and a lot less corporate. What do you think? Rant over.

AMEN BROTHER :thumbsup::eek::D

Ok maybe not from day 1 but from the late 70s to the early 90's I have recalled a lot of bumping, trash talking, and rivalry making the sport more interesting. In the last 15 years or so I have heard more and more people complain about the aforementioned. Can we not show any emotions any more? People bash Reed because he's upset when he doesn't win, or J-Laws head games. Tyler Evans- I'm not going there. Anyways these guys are competitors stepping out of the politically correct and calling a spade a spade. Why should we as fans complain about a little contact in the corners or someone speaking their mind have we become *******?- it makes racing a little more natural and a lot less corporate. What do you think? Rant over.

I agree completely...

Rubbing is racing!

I think you hear a lot more complaining now is because you have access to many more people with the internet and the increased popularity of the sport. As for what people are complaining about I think this is just natural when fans have certain riders that they pull for and they dont win. Its no different in any other sport and the riders you mentioned are going to generate more disdain because of there personality, similar to Tony Stewart in NASCAR. It is also these little controversies that generate more interest in the sport. I enjoyed the Daytona race very much because I dislike Reed but I do respect him as a racer but he is one of those riders you love or hate and I think he is good for the sport. my two cents:blah:

I am a fan of Reed and Windom but most of all I am a fan of SX and MX and have been for over 30 years. I don't think the sport has changed as much as the average fan has. How many of today’s average fans know much about the history of SX and MX? Would they know anything about the most outspoken rider in history and the first king of SX Bob Hannah? :eek: Hannah dominated the sport in the late 70's and if not for a water skiing accident he would have dominated the early 80's as well. He would tell you off in a heart beat :thumbsup: and if you got in his way he would take you out. So much of SX is in your head and that is why so many of your top riders come off as arrogant. But it is not arrogance it is confidence. My two cents. :D

I also think it is true that the internet simply gives everyone's opinion a "voice". I enjoy hard racing. I have followed the sport closely from the late 70's onward. I like that there is a thing called the internet to bench race on but.........

Myself, I am getting sick of a "strictly vanilla flavored Politically Correct world"

but that is simply my own opinion.

Myself, I am getting sick of a "strictly vanilla flavored Politically Correct world"

but that is simply my own opinion.

Thats exactly what I'm talking about.

The only thing that has changed is the access for people to communicate via the internet. I think if the internet was around back in Hannah's day people would be trash talking him just like they do CR. Hannah was an incredible racer just like CR, and also an arrogant ahole just like CR.

The only thing that has changed is the access for people to communicate via the internet. I think if the internet was around back in Hannah's day people would be trash talking him just like they do CR. Hannah was an incredible racer just like CR, and also an arrogant ahole just like CR.

I agree for the most part, but there is a huge difference between hannah and reed. Hannah played it up huge for the fans and the press. He was always out front and personal. He never hid from a microphone or a reporter. Hannah was also a total goof ball. I can remember being in the pits at millville in 85' when hannah had won the 250 class. I was standing beside him in his box van and there were at least a 100 people standing in back of it. Don't ask me how I got up there because I can't remember. But anyway, some chick was in the front row and of course he saw her. Pretty soon she was in the van and pulls her shirt up over his head. I damn near fell out of the van laughing. I couldn't imagine reed doing that. It was a totally different era then.

Yes, times have changed. But not as much as you may think they have.

Sure, back in the day they trashed talked each other. But when they were in front of a camera and the mic was on "back in the day", all of them towed the line.

As proof, I'm signed up with NetFlix and going through a 5 disk series on The "Worlds Greatest Supercross Races". And so far I'm through disk 2 (1986), and yet none of the top racers spued crap on the level as J-Law or J-Hill. That includes Hannah, Bell, Staton, Glover, Ward or Barnett.

The same was true for any other stick and ball sport. But now more than ever any professional realizes that if they want to succeed financially, they have to keep their emotions in check when everyone is watching. What they say on the track and behind closed doors is their own.

Sure, rubbing is racing and I've got no problem with that. But taking someone out isn't cool. I want to see Professionals acting like Professionals and doing something that I cannot do. This is why I do not watch hockey. Until they can stop the fighting then the best players will never really be able to show their stuff. And that is a crime.