Sign in to follow this  

Stock tire size vs. 120/100

Looking at putting a new tire on the X. Going with the Maxxis, but I cant decide if i should put the stock size or go with the 120/100. Are there any negative effects from going bigger? Is the 120/100 just wider? Is there a possiblity of the chain tearing the tire up?

Thanks!

Keep your chain a bit tighter than you think it should be and you'll be fine with the 120/100. Might rub on the mud flap but you can cut it down.

I run a 120/100 Desert IT and have no issues, as long as the chain is tight.

Looking at putting a new tire on the X. Going with the Maxxis, but I cant decide if i should put the stock size or go with the 120/100. Are there any negative effects from going bigger? Is the 120/100 just wider? Is there a possiblity of the chain tearing the tire up?

Thanks!

120's, depending on brand, may or may not leave parts of the left side nobbies on your chain. Be VERY careful when tightening your chain.....don't overtighten simply to keep it from hitting, as you will then be putting excessive stress on the counter shaft, this is a bad thing. If you have your chain tightened correctly, and it still hits the tire........you should either live with it, go back to the OEM, or put a spacer behind your countershaft sprocket.

I ran a 120/80/18 on my 03' R without any rubbing issues and loose worn out chain.

Somebody was talking about this recently, and mentioned the variance between manufacturers, and then listed the 120's that were slightly smaller and would fit better. Anybody remember the preferred models?

Thanks!

I've used the 120/100's with no issues. However, if you're concerned about it, just us the stock 110/100 size. I seriously doubt you would be able to tell any performance difference, they cost a bit less, and you eliminate the possibility of interference issues.

Bigger is not always better.

I've used the 120/100's with no issues. However, if you're concerned about it, just us the stock 110/100 size. I seriously doubt you would be able to tell any performance difference, they cost a bit less, and you eliminate the possibility of interference issues.

Bigger is not always better.

Thats not what "she" said....

Seriously- I agree- I like the 110 on the CRF.

The 120 is necessary on the 6fiddy (and it still looks like a tractor tire).

I used to run a 100 on my little KDX and it felt great.

If you add a ultra hd tube and a 120- the weight is noticable.