Sign in to follow this  

What to look for? Looking to buy used 2003 KTM200 EXC

Just wanted to know if there are any common problems that I should be aware of and to look for? Any other things in general I should keep my eye out for when looking at used KTM 2 strokes to purchase? Thanks.

my biggest problems is trying to keep my mouth closed when riding my 03

200exc. it's a blast to ride and never stops amazing me. but if you never rode a ktm before prepair for that hard seat.

Thanks for the info. Yeah, if it has a seat as hard or harder then my WR250F came with, then I'll be looking to upgrade. I couldn't stand 3-4 hour rides on my stock WR250F seat. I ride standing allot more now, but still think I'll end up upgrading to a tall soft seat.

Be prepared to do a little work on the suspension (epecially coming from a WR250F). For 2003 & 2004 WP used 3 bushings in their forks instead of two. The extra bushing was added in-between the upper and lower and many people believe this causes binding when the fork deflects under normal use. Look up "3rd bushing removal" on ktmtalk and see what I mean.

I removed mine yesterday, but have not had a chance to ride it yet. Most people claim it makes the suspension "plusher". All I know is that correctly sprung for my weight, sharp bumps would transfer straight to my wrists/arms and make for a long day riding.

I think that would be the only thing that is less than perfect on that bike. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the info. Yeah, if it has a seat as hard or harder then my WR250F came with, then I'll be looking to upgrade. I couldn't stand 3-4 hour rides on my stock WR250F seat. I ride standing allot more now, but still think I'll end up upgrading to a tall soft seat.

You'll get used to the hard seat in a few rides. You'll stand alot more on your second ride. As my brother sez, It's a dirtbike, not a couch.