Sign in to follow this  

what type of bike??

hey guys, im 145pounds, 5foot8inches tall and have been riding really old bikes since i was about 10, and im 16 now..i rode my bros gf's motobike the other day, its a chinese bike, but brand new, its a 250..i was just wondering what bike should i get? a cr250 or yz250? or should i get a 125? it will be going through mud in forestry a fair bit, maybe little jumps, and will need alot of power(my bro has a cr450r i need to keep up with)? so yeah help plz..:thumbsup:

need more info, price range, type of riding (bush, fire trails, dunes, mx, hare scambles ect) and price range.

that Chinese bike would be about as powerful as a current 85. meaning very under powered, compared to the modern bikes from the big 5 (KTM, yamaha, honda, kawi and uzuki, plus the other smaller makers), i think a 125 would do you power wise, at least to start with, and are fairly cheap, then you can deiced where you wanna go from there, and don't try keeping up with the 450's in a line they're great, but the tighter things get, the slower they get, and the more they wear you out, i currently ride a KTM 450 EXC-R, coming of a YZ 125, same age as you, 178 cm, and 70 kg and i can tell you they do wear you out until you get yourself in shape.

^^ ok, well its forestry, muddy. alot of really long straights through there, sum pretty steap hills, and il be riding mostly in my paddock and i own 5acres of land, and i might right through another mates yard which is like 40acres, of grass and stuff like that,so i want alot of power....and 1 day i might wanna do MX on it, and keep in mind i probz will be keeping this bike for a few years....so i wanna be able to jump it, im growing really quickly atm, and i can onyl spend up to $5000 about...so yeah?

a KTM 200, or 250 EXC any year after 02, you'll be able to find either second hand for under 5k in decent condition, i prefer the 200, almost as powerful as the 250, but in a 125 frame, so a lot more nimble, maybe even a 300 EXC, almost 4 stroke like bottom end, but ease of maintenance of a two stroke, all are two strokes so over the long run will be cheaper then a 4 stroke in maintenance, 4 strokes you want to spend at least 7k for a good condition late model 450 4 stroke.

i want a yamaha, honda, or suzuki though..

very good choices (except for the honda CR250s though... if it's an '01 CR250 then it's good, on the contrary) :eek:

what type of bike? -- well, a 2-stroke for you, mate!

what brand? -- a yamaha YZ250, of course! :D

why don't you go to yami 2-stroke forum and post that same question, mate? many will help you decide out there...

here are some vids of chad reed when he was still riding the YZ250 until 2005. you will definitely surpass your brother's 450F if you ride like your fellow aussie, chad :ride: ...see first vid, and don't ever miss the 2nd vid.

http://www.veoh.com/videos/v63012617mec3ezb

http://www.veoh.com/videos/v6299261P5755fMp

by the way, don't be mistaken, the YZ250 is a very potent offroad/ enduro machine, apart from it being an excellent MX bike, and the best 250 2T out there :thumbsup:

very good choices (except for the honda CR250s though... if it's an '01 CR250 then it's good, on the contrary) :D

what type of bike? -- well, a 2-stroke for you, mate!

what brand? -- a yamaha YZ250, of course! :ride:

why don't you go to yami 2-stroke forum and post that same question, mate? many will help you decide out there...

here are some vids of chad reed when he was still riding the YZ250 until 2005. you will definitely surpass your brother's 450F if you ride like your fellow aussie, chad :lol: ...see first vid, and don't ever miss the 2nd vid.

http://www.veoh.com/videos/v63012617mec3ezb

http://www.veoh.com/videos/v6299261P5755fMp

by the way, don't be mistaken, the YZ250 is a very potent offroad/ enduro machine, apart from it being an excellent MX bike, and the best 250 2T out there :thumbsup:

ok thankyou :eek: so you think i could get a good yz250 for about $4000-4500 australian dollar?? and i could handle 1 of them??

thanks.

ok thankyou :eek: so you think i could get a good yz250 for about $4000-4500 australian dollar?? and i could handle 1 of them??

thanks.

of course!! Au$4,500 that is somewhere around US$3,700, give or take.

in the US you would be able to find an '05 YZ250 (aluminum-frame) at that price, perhaps, even the vaunted 2006 model :thumbsup:

just try looking around in there (australia), mate... just be patient and calculating! and most definitely you would find one you like most.

read thru this review, on how we common people find the YZ250's performance:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=569426

the aussie market is nothing like th eU.S market however, take for example a honda CRF 450F, in the states what maybe 8 or 9 grand brand new? over here you pay around 13, comparison value your looking at around 2.5k U.S. worth of bike, a good condition 05 or 06 YZ 250 will set you back around 7k.

the reason i say the KTM EXC's is because they are not an MX bike, they are specifically off road bikes, which is what your going to be using the bike for, sure you can buy a YZ and re valve the suspention to stop you from deflecting off of rocks and tree roots, but easily add ad a grand to get a reputable suspention tuner to play with your bike, and the KTM's are very popular over here, so parts for them are everywhere, and you'll generally find them cheaper second hand the other makes.