AC sub frames

Ok, noticed today a small crack in my subframe (side of the weld on the lower bolting lug), its not big atm (about 5mm) but its only going to get worse.

Been onto the old ebay and seen the AC racing subframes. Ive had a quick search and only found two people moaning about them, not seen any positive yet.

By trade i am a welder/fabricator but of all the materials aluminium is the one that we do not have the equipment to weld ( yes i have made some titanium bits and bobs).

So while im tring to get this subframe fixed am i best trying to find an original or trying one of these babies.

bri

Do a search. Alot of people say the fit of them sucks.

I got a subframe from them for an '06 450R. Fits great! I had no problems with hole lineup or threads. I did have to take my Dremel and grind out a red pubes worth in one of the welded corners to get the airbox to fit just right (5 minutes work.)

As of right now, I would have no problem buying another subframe from them for this bike.

I just bought on for the 02 450. I have found that the fit is not like Honda's perfection but I will accept the trade off vs. cost. I had to really pull and tweek the upper frame mount to fit. Other that that its good enough.

thanks guys.

If i'm struggling in a week or so to find a 2nd hand one, i'll take a gamble on one while mine is being fixed.

bri

oh my that is nice but thankfully it doesnt come in 03 fitting :thumbsup:

bri

bwi,

Be careful of the ACR subframes, I recently ordered one for my '07 450 (don't know what bike you have) and the frame on the stock vs. the ACR one is different at the lower right side number plate bolt mount (see my post in this forum). The ACR frame was in a box that stated '06-'08 and I called but no one answered so I sent it back with detailed drawings of the fit issue.

Don:thumbsup:

Ok, noticed today a small crack in my subframe (side of the weld on the lower bolting lug), its not big atm (about 5mm) but its only going to get worse.

Been onto the old ebay and seen the AC racing subframes. Ive had a quick search and only found two people moaning about them, not seen any positive yet.

By trade i am a welder/fabricator but of all the materials aluminium is the one that we do not have the equipment to weld ( yes i have made some titanium bits and bobs).

So while im tring to get this subframe fixed am i best trying to find an original or trying one of these babies.

bri

Do you know any others in your trade that can help you out? Seems like a simple repair that can save you lots of $$ unless you just got to have a n AC unit.

I snapped mine off at the lower bolt on my 03. Took it to local aluminum welder and had it back an hour later for $20. Welded both sides. That was over a year ago and everything is fine with it.

thanks for all the replies guys. I' going to try and pick up one on the net, and once i have that in place i'll find someone to weld the original up for me.

thanks again

bri

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By GarrettSG
      I need recommendations on Honda dealers with good Mechanics in Western Washington. I am in Puyallup but will drive for peace of mind. I have never had a dealer do major work on any of my dirt bikes. But long story short I am on a 15 CRF450R and it needs the 5th gear recall done. Any and all info is much appreciated! 
    • By jakebarritt
      I have a 2005 CRF450R with a Trail Tech fan kit installed. I need a little bit larger tank and would like to know if anyone has an aftermarket tank that fits with the fan kit.
      I dont need a monster 4 gallon, just maybe a 2.4 or 2.7 from IMS would do fine.  I talked with both the tank vendor and Trail Tech and neither could give me any answers.
      Thanks guys.
      Jake
      Minden, NV
    • By NickC18
      So I emailed Factory Connection today to see what spring rate I need for the rear as I’m about 6’2” 220 lbs without gear. I also asked for a baseline front fork PSI to start at. This is what I received:
      Nicholas, 
      The spring series we made for your bike is limited when it comes to larger/stiffer rates.  
      The spring rate you need is 5.9/6.0 range. We don’t sell that over the counter as it requires special installation process.  So we can’t sell the spring “over the counter”.  It would have to be installed at our shop.  
      Fork PSI I would recommend:
      Inner 160 psi
      Outer 11 psi
      Balance 160 psi

Are they blowing smoke up my ass? What kind of ‘special installation’ could a spring take? I’ve changed and removed them before but not on a 16’ CRF before.
      Also, aren’t those psi settings for the Kawasaki KYB? I don’t think the psf2 have inner/outer/balance do they? Maybe he was having a bad day...or maybe I’m an idiot. FC’s website list there spring as ALS-0059. Can I not just order this spring and install it to set my sag correctly? Help?
    • By johnsbikerepairs
      hi, i have a crf450R 2009, having difficulty setting the idle knob to factory setting.  Having problems interpreting manual Japaneses interpretation.  Can anyone out there assist with the correct factory setting and how i can manually do the setting ie how many clicks out or in etc...   would appreciate any assistance 
    • By Baja Designs
      Hello CRF450R Owners,
      Bailey here with Baja Designs.  We recognize ThumperTalk as one of the go-to sources for information on the CRF450R and we receive emails daily regarding the best inexpensive light setup or purchasing the B1K setup ran by Ox Motorsports.  We would like this thread to be a General Discussion area for members and guests to discuss Dual Sport Kits (DSK), Lights, and Lighting Acessories based upon stock and modified charging systems.  Please Post up if you have any questions or comments CRF450R related! 
      www.bajadesigns.com