AC sub frames

Ok, noticed today a small crack in my subframe (side of the weld on the lower bolting lug), its not big atm (about 5mm) but its only going to get worse.

Been onto the old ebay and seen the AC racing subframes. Ive had a quick search and only found two people moaning about them, not seen any positive yet.

By trade i am a welder/fabricator but of all the materials aluminium is the one that we do not have the equipment to weld ( yes i have made some titanium bits and bobs).

So while im tring to get this subframe fixed am i best trying to find an original or trying one of these babies.

bri

Do a search. Alot of people say the fit of them sucks.

I got a subframe from them for an '06 450R. Fits great! I had no problems with hole lineup or threads. I did have to take my Dremel and grind out a red pubes worth in one of the welded corners to get the airbox to fit just right (5 minutes work.)

As of right now, I would have no problem buying another subframe from them for this bike.

I just bought on for the 02 450. I have found that the fit is not like Honda's perfection but I will accept the trade off vs. cost. I had to really pull and tweek the upper frame mount to fit. Other that that its good enough.

thanks guys.

If i'm struggling in a week or so to find a 2nd hand one, i'll take a gamble on one while mine is being fixed.

bri

oh my that is nice but thankfully it doesnt come in 03 fitting :thumbsup:

bri

bwi,

Be careful of the ACR subframes, I recently ordered one for my '07 450 (don't know what bike you have) and the frame on the stock vs. the ACR one is different at the lower right side number plate bolt mount (see my post in this forum). The ACR frame was in a box that stated '06-'08 and I called but no one answered so I sent it back with detailed drawings of the fit issue.

Don:thumbsup:

Ok, noticed today a small crack in my subframe (side of the weld on the lower bolting lug), its not big atm (about 5mm) but its only going to get worse.

Been onto the old ebay and seen the AC racing subframes. Ive had a quick search and only found two people moaning about them, not seen any positive yet.

By trade i am a welder/fabricator but of all the materials aluminium is the one that we do not have the equipment to weld ( yes i have made some titanium bits and bobs).

So while im tring to get this subframe fixed am i best trying to find an original or trying one of these babies.

bri

Do you know any others in your trade that can help you out? Seems like a simple repair that can save you lots of $$ unless you just got to have a n AC unit.

I snapped mine off at the lower bolt on my 03. Took it to local aluminum welder and had it back an hour later for $20. Welded both sides. That was over a year ago and everything is fine with it.

thanks for all the replies guys. I' going to try and pick up one on the net, and once i have that in place i'll find someone to weld the original up for me.

thanks again

bri