Sign in to follow this  

Why do the dynojet mod to DR's?

I have an 06 DR650SE, with 6,000kms and a Staintune exhaust on that I've bought in Australia to do the ride back to the UK in a year or two so fuel economy is important for me. It's running fine as far as I can tell and seems to be getting decent fuel economy at around 24kms/L when out of town.

I've read about people doing a dynojet and airbox mod on DRs but I'm unsure on a couple of points which hopefully someone can clear up:

1. Does this mod make the bike more or less fuel efficient or is this not altered?

2. Any likely problems with the modified bike at high altitude?

3. What exactly is involved in doing the mod?

4. What are the benefits?

1. Usually fuel economy is decreased a bit(i.e. less efficient).

2. None that I have heard of.

3. Can be done without taking the carb out (bit more difficult).

a) replace the jet

:thumbsup: replace the needle

c) cut the airbox top out (can just take the side off the airbox but that usually results in more enginer noise and can pull more dirt/moisture into the filter.

d) remove the screen between the airbox and adapter to the carb

e) check mixture screw setting as the amount of air available to the engine changed.

4. Better performance, reduce surging.

With the Dynojet kit installed in the stock carb, I was still getting around 50mpg fairly regularly. If I really romped on the bike it would drop into the mid-high 40s but never much lower.

I have an 06 DR650SE, with 6,000kms and a Staintune exhaust on that I've bought in Australia to do the ride back to the UK in a year or two so fuel economy is important for me. It's running fine as far as I can tell and seems to be getting decent fuel economy at around 24kms/L when out of town.

I've read about people doing a dynojet and airbox mod on DRs but I'm unsure on a couple of points which hopefully someone can clear up:

1. Does this mod make the bike more or less fuel efficient or is this not altered?

2. Any likely problems with the modified bike at high altitude?

3. What exactly is involved in doing the mod?

4. What are the benefits?

I know I will be embarrassed when I discover what I am missing,but what is the route you will take to ride back to the U.K.?:thumbsup:

24kms/L when out of town.

Wow o.O 24km/l = .41l/ metricmile

i do .45 bone stock.

Thats a freakishly small difference! I suddenly feel interested in a new exaust for my dr!

Is this usual? 9% (if i still can count) increase, thats what i would expect from changing sprockets.

How much more power and torque do you get from a complete staintune?

very much awed :thumbsup:

Yep, you may have noticed there is some wee bits of water between Oz and say Malaysia that we may in fact need to ship or fly over...

Last year, I finished riding from Argentina up to Alaska (that was on a 1150GS though), but when I said I was from Scotland, some people actually said, 'Wow, you rode all the way here from Scotland'...http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/images/smilies/banghead.gif

:eek:

I know I will be embarrassed when I discover what I am missing,but what is the route you will take to ride back to the U.K.?:thumbsup:

Not too sure I'm afraid, I only recently bought the bike here and the Staintune was already fitted.

How much more power and torque do you get from a complete staintune?

Yep, you may have noticed there is some wee bits of water between Oz and say Malaysia that we may in fact need to ship or fly over...

Last year, I finished riding from Argentina up to Alaska (that was on a 1150GS though), but when I said I was from Scotland, some people actually said, 'Wow, you rode all the way here from Scotland'...http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/images/smilies/banghead.gif

:eek:

Yeh,I was just bein' a smartarse.I envy you for the rides you have and will complete.I personally hope to see a' stralia some day,let alone get to ride around it.Been half way though,to Tahiti . P.S. I take pride in my Scot blood.Another land I hope to see.:thumbsup:

ok now I know my bikes fuel economy really sucks :thumbsup:

I got approx 18km/L when stock and after my testing of the DJ kit well who knows but its in the 14-18km/L area. Thats BS why is mine so much lower? its an 06 model so it cant be an age thing

The 24km/L I was getting was just top gear stuff, riding around 100km/h or so and being light on the throttle, but I know its way less than that riding in town with all the starting and stopping especially here in Melbourne!

ok now I know my bikes fuel economy really sucks :thumbsup:

I got approx 18km/L when stock and after my testing of the DJ kit well who knows but its in the 14-18km/L area. Thats BS why is mine so much lower? its an 06 model so it cant be an age thing

yeah, easy does it. Don't open upp full throttle and ride smooth. Why do you say clicks per litre? makes me confused :thumbsup:

but funriding my bike sucks in aprox 15-16km/l and touring 22+

wait o.O your bike with the staintune gets more kms/l than mine stock? (i did miscalculate anyway xD) you get 9% more per litre than i do!

And i really know how to run cheap.

awesome!

mighty knowers of tt, please explain how this is possible:worthy:

yeah, easy does it. Don't open upp full throttle and ride smooth. Why do you say clicks per litre? makes me confused :eek:

but funriding my bike sucks in aprox 15-16km/l and touring 22+

wait o.O your bike with the staintune gets more kms/l than mine stock? (i did miscalculate anyway xD) you get 9% more per litre than i do!

And i really know how to run cheap.

awesome!

mighty knowers of tt, please explain how this is possible:worthy:

15-16 sounds closer to the mark, and what would you call touring and taking it easy? cause I did that and still got bugger all definately not in the 20+ region. I still accelerated reasonably hard to the speed limit but stayed at low steady rpm from there

and i've heard the same, my guess would be less back pressure and power loss at higher rpm :thumbsup:

Out of the 390kms I got out of my IMS tank today (ran out 100m from a garage!), about 200kms were city (sometimes 2 up) riding and the rest out of town stuff (with a lot of the stop/start stuff that you have to do to get out of Melbourne) which works out about 20km/L so if I'm doing straight touring, it will be higher than that so I'd guess around 23/24kms / L should be expected. http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/images/smilies/applause.gif

:thumbsup:

sick :eek: do you run stock gearing or have you changed the sprockets?

"cause I did that and still got bugger all definately not in the 20+ region"

mayby you should check your air filter?

Touring - about 50% of max rpm at all times and going fast as possible into 5th. Then try not to brake more than you have to, so go into corners real non aggresive, just let a little off the throttle and accelerate nicley up again.

and no burnouts :thumbsup:

"cause I did that and still got bugger all definately not in the 20+ region"

mayby you should check your air filter?

Touring - about 50% of max rpm at all times and going fast as possible into 5th. Then try not to brake more than you have to, so go into corners real non aggresive, just let a little off the throttle and accelerate nicley up again.

and no burnouts :eek:

awww, are wheelies still ok?

while stock I never got below 18km/L and I always go hard on the throttle accelerating and take it up to 150kph when overtaking. So I spose it was decent. Air filter was cleaned right before I put the DJ kit in, with the rancidly rich recommended settings it ran like crap around idle and offered up around 13-14km/L so i've since leaned it out to 155 main, fuel screw 1 turn out, needle 3rd clip and it runs good but still won't give me 18km/L if I ride it that way. BUT I just discovered yesterday that my reserve is set a little too high its closer to 9 litres rather than 10 so that would add approx 2km/L. But regardless its still not 20+ :thumbsup:

oh, i forgot to say, i have an engine restriction in my bike, sucks :thumbsup: but i have to have it for an other year (sucky swedish laws), might contribute. Can't remember how it was before, but i think it was about the same.

My bike feels good all over, mayby checking that careburator a bit more would help?

engine restriction? on a DR? yeah that makes sense cause we all know how it produces all its power high in the rev range :thumbsup:

Ya honza - have you done any airbox mods or opened up the header weld?

If you haven't that could explain the better mileage you are getting, but it would be at the expense of the performance you could be getting if you opened up both ends and let her breath. At that point some kind of jetting change would be required to keep the mixture right. No idea what your goofy metric numbers mean (don't you guys know how to measure using barley corns and body parts?) but I get 50 MPG with the stock pipe and I got got about 45MPG with a slip on and a bigger jet. Both those numbers are riding like you stole it on side roads, cruising adds about 5 more MPG's

engine restriction? on a DR? yeah that makes sense cause we all know how it produces all its power high in the rev range :eek:

yeah, dr puts out 30kW right? but legal till your 21 here is only 25, lucky me! had to spend hundreds of $ to get it legal :thumbsup: for five lousy kW.

Single good thing about it is the inusance, dropped from 2k$/year to 450.

Sorry about the metric figures- Hey I'm from Scotland but everything here in Australia (including my bike) is in KMs so its about the best way I can figure it all out now. Anyway, the US also has funny little gallons of their own which confused the hell out of me when I rode from Argentina up to Alaska last year. But just to clarify:

20km/L= 55mpg (or 46.5mpg US) (about 60% town riding)

24km/L= 67mpg (or 56mpg US) (100% cruising)

Hope that helps!

I haven't done anything to the carb or airbox, header weld (what the hecks that?) but am basically trying to find out if I'll get less mpg's if I do.

Ya honza - have you done any airbox mods or opened up the header weld?

If you haven't that could explain the better mileage you are getting, but it would be at the expense of the performance you could be getting if you opened up both ends and let her breath. At that point some kind of jetting change would be required to keep the mixture right. No idea what your goofy metric numbers mean (don't you guys know how to measure using barley corns and body parts?) but I get 50 MPG with the stock pipe and I got got about 45MPG with a slip on and a bigger jet. Both those numbers are riding like you stole it on side roads, cruising adds about 5 more MPG's