Yz250 Sprocket Gearing

Hey everyone!, I would like to know if the gearing on my yz250 is alright... It's: 15 Teeth on the front/ 48 Teeth on the rear. How is this? I only do trail riding, sand pit riding etc... Not really any tracks. Any comments will be appreciated!:eek::thumbsup:

Oof that's really tall. I would think it might be really hard to go slow in the tight spots on the trail. 15/48 sounds more like desert riding ratio.

For trail and tighter slower stuff I would try like 14/52 or you could just put a 13 tooth on the front which would be almost the same ratio and then you would'nt have to get a longer chain.

For mx I run 14/49 on my YZ250 but stock was 14/50.

I'm using a 14/47 for desert, and it doesn't seem to be a handicap in the rocky technical stuff. It still pulls like a tractor climbing hills too.

You could be on the tall side (as mentioned above) for woods, but it's your ride. The 13t front sounds like a good idea to see where you need to go, but for that matter a 14t is fine too. C.S. sprockets are cheap for experimenting.

Yeah, stock is 14/50.

Some of the trail riding I do is really tight, so I tried running 14/53. But really, that was just too low. For me at least.

After putting the Gnarly pipe on (and thereby mellowing out the engine), I've gone back to 14/50 and it's just fine. Even on the super tight stuff. I still rarely get out of 2nd, and spend a lot of time in 1st.

For non-technical trail riding, stock should be fine. You could try 14/50 and see how you like.

Ok, thanks everyone! So if I would put a 13 tooth sprocket in front, that should be better? Will the ratio I have right now affect the torque and speed of my bike? If so, in a good way or a bad way? And what do you mean by desert riding? Do you need more rear wheel spining in the desert? Thanks!!:thumbsup::eek:

I have 14/52 gearing now but just added a FMF Gnarly pipe to get more low to mid power. I ride very technical single track trails and find with the 52 rear I can sail along in second and even grab third in an open area and then slam it down to first in a panic area. Since I've added the Gnarly, I am considering going back to stock 14/50 but I like hanging out in second gear on the tight trails.

Kool thanks for the help!!, But where can I find my transmission specs/ratios?? Can anyone please help me out on this one? By the way , my bike is a 2004 yz250. I don't seem to have it in my owners manual.

Anyways I'll try out my current gearing set-up, and if I don't like it, I'll try 13 tooth/48tooth.... :thumbsup::eek:

Hey everyone!, I would like to know if the gearing on my yz250 is alright... It's: 15 Teeth on the front/ 48 Teeth on the rear. How is this? I only do trail riding, sand pit riding etc... Not really any tracks. Any comments will be appreciated!:eek::thumbsup:

only you can decide.would you rather give have a bike that is easier to get traction on and have a more topspeed or would you rather a bike that will spin the wheels of. i personally like really tall gearing. on my yz250f i run 14-47 (stock is 13-50) for mostly woods i like tall gearing because for me it is easier to get traction and what not, you might have to work the clutch a little bit more in the real tight stuff but not much more. on my yz250 i think im going to just run 14-47 for a little bit more top end which it will have no problems at all pulling

cool link gani rider i gave you some gas, going to try it out right now!

I mostly do slower technical stuff, tight tree trails and rocks. 14 -52 mostly. When its wet and the traction is real good, I run a 14-54.

I rarely do high speed desert stuff but when I do I run stock gearing 14-50.

I found the faster i go the more it hurts when I go down. Putting the lower gearing on slowed me down and I get hurt less. I dont like going fast.....

By "desert" (at least in my portion of SoCal), I'm referring to what can be large open areas that can be very high speed. However, the surfaces range from dense sandy dirt w/ lots of traction, to loose deep sand, to hard rocky areas that have lots of loose rocks on the surface (these are anywhere from the size of a softball to a basketball)........usually on and around our buttes. This is also where we'll find our "singletrack". In short...........not much mud or loam.

I can't say I'm looking for any "wheel spin" out here. I had plenty of that when I still had my supermoto slicks on the bike. I choose to run the taller gearing so the engine can "loaf" a little more in the open areas. Saves on wear and tear, while helping w/ fuel range too.:thumbsup:

The 13t will lower your top speed, but help your acceleration. BUT........IMHO, I think a late model YZ in proper tune will be pretty tolerant of reasonably tall gearing. As an extreme example, I ran 15/38 gearing on my 2002 YZ250 at a roadcourse out here called Buttonwillow. It was with 17" wheels/tires, so the overall ratio is a little lower than if I had done it w/ the stock 19". The bike still was able to run w/ the 250cc GP bikes, and many of the other streetbikes (of course the big-bores killed me on the long straights). Bear in mind, this wasn't the same as woods riding, and I was sure to carry as much momentum as possible, I'm just trying to illustrate that you can use whatever the situation dictates.:D

Oh, and one more thing........even w/ that gearing, I was still lighting up my rear tire coming out of the slower-speed corners:ride:

Ok, thanks everyone! So if I would put a 13 tooth sprocket in front, that should be better? Will the ratio I have right now affect the torque and speed of my bike? If so, in a good way or a bad way? And what do you mean by desert riding? Do you need more rear wheel spining in the desert? Thanks!!:eek::ride:

I have a 2004 yz250 also, and I was thinking about going to either 52 rear or 13T front. I am stock at 14/50 right now. I ride everything, but mostly I want my 3rd and 4th gear wheelies to come up easier :eek: As you can tell I have my priorities straight. What would you guys recommend? Is going 1 tooth down in the front on this bike about the same as going up 3 in the rear ??:thumbsup:

also for those of you who are running 14/52 or 13/50 how did the gearing change feel overall, like in each gear for instance.. ? Thanks!

I have a 2004 yz250 also, and I was thinking about going to either 52 rear or 13T front. I am stock at 14/50 right now. I ride everything, but mostly I want my 3rd and 4th gear wheelies to come up easier :eek: As you can tell I have my priorities straight. What would you guys recommend? Is going 1 tooth down in the front on this bike about the same as going up 3 in the rear ??:thumbsup:

also for those of you who are running 14/52 or 13/50 how did the gearing change feel overall, like in each gear for instance.. ? Thanks!

I have a 2004 YZ250. I run 14/52. I just put on a FMF Gnarly, FMF TC2, leaned the jetting, installed GYTR off road fly wheel, and did a top end using a Wiseco pro-lite.

Third and fourth gear wheelies are now simple to do. In fact, they're too prevalent.:D This bike is pulling too much now under load when traction is available. I am part of the load too (well over 200 lbs.). Gonna tame it down now. I don't want to loose my Gnarly though as it is a gem in 1st through 3rd gear to get the front wheel up with the blip of the throttle. I may go back to 14/50 as it's the cheapest mod (free for me).

14/52 on a bone stock motor was good but still not perfect on loose soil steep and long forested hill climbs. It gave me less stalls, more instant power but not the dial-a-wheelie power that I have now. 14/52 on a flat and straight paved road felt a little slow but I really shouldn't be on pavement:busted:. 14/52 on any mountain logging road was fast enough. 14/52 on the stock setup gave me second and the occasional third gear on the goat trails whereas 14/50 I could barely muster second gear in most places.

Get the 13T front sprocket as it's cheaper and easier to mod back and forth. I think it'll be nearly the same as 14/52 (you having 13/50).

Cool, thanks for the details, that helps. My motor is stock with a Wisco piston. I am in the process of leaning out my jetting as well. I have a rekluse, so thats like what 6oz FWW equivalent, I have a stock pipe though. I will definately try the 14/52, 2 more questions

1.Did you need a bigger chain for the 52?

2. So should I get a Gnarly pipe for the "dial-a-wheelie" power? I ride mostly trails with the occasional mx track and dune trip thrown in, but wheelies are my favorite pass time, so that takes 1 st priority.

Cool, thanks for the details, that helps. My motor is stock with a Wisco piston. I am in the process of leaning out my jetting as well. I have a rekluse, so thats like what 6oz FWW equivalent, I have a stock pipe though. I will definately try the 14/52, 2 more questions

1.Did you need a bigger chain for the 52?

2. So should I get a Gnarly pipe for the "dial-a-wheelie" power? I ride mostly trails with the occasional mx track and dune trip thrown in, but wheelies are my favorite pass time, so that takes 1 st priority.

Put in a 165MJ and 45PJ. Checked the spark plug and it's definitely lean. Going back to my 172MJ next.

1. I bought a new chain that was two links longer. Now I have my wheel way back. It would've worked on the stocker but then the wheel would've been too far forward which allegedly affects handling poorly.

2. Dial-a-power wheelie is what this Gnarly does 1-3rd gears. I haven't tried fourth yet off road but won't be surprised in the least if it comes up just as easily.:eek: Many people have complained that the Gnarly killed their top end which may be important on a track or at the dunes. My top end power hasn't gone anywhere compared to the stock set up.

The fun thing about the Gnarly for me is to find any hump whatsoever (rock, log, root), go over it while blipping the throttle for an instant launch of the front wheel skyward. Stock setup did this to a degree but the Gnarly is way more precise in motor dosage. Then again it could be my new 45PJ too.:thumbsup: However, the Gnarly must have something do with it too.

3. My GYTR flywheel in no way has tamed the hit as your Rekluse probably hasn't either.

ok cool. yea I'm running 175 and 45 jets with needle in position 2. I think I need to put my needle in position 1 or get leaner needle. Thanks for the info :thumbsup:

BTW do you ever ride in portland area?

Yeah, but If I want to put my gearing equivalent to stock(14/50), what should I put my front sprocket to? 13 Teeth or 14 Teeth? Just so you remember, right now it's 15/48... But I haven't had the chance to try it out yet... I just don't want my bike to lose any power(torque,acceleration,the whole thing) or any wheelie abilities... So what would you people suggest? Thanks again!!

put a 13 on the front, that would be the equivalent of about 14/51, but thats as close as you can get without changing both the front and rear.

Ok, Thanks for the tip!!