2000 KX250 for free!

My brother borrowed a few grand (or more) from his boss, and was making decent size payments to repay him. When my brother got his tax refund, he payed his boss in full.

Well, his boss was so blown away by that, knowing that my brother had other bills to pay off with it, that he decided to give my brother a very cool attaboy for thinking of his boss first.... A 2000 KX250!

So, on my brother's behalf, I am soliciting opinions on that bike.

Good points, bad points, maintenance issues,etc.

I have had a '92 KX250 since it had 5 hours on it, and it has been as reliable as an anvil. I am hoping that the 2000 is as good, but 8 years of difference could change a lot of things....

torch

Agghhh! The 2000's suck!

j/k

:thumbsup:

Thanks, bonehead!:thumbsup:

torch

It's a very good bike. And hell, it was free, so does it matter if it wasn't the best 250 ever made?:thumbsup:

Actually, I own two 2000 KX250's. Great power. Forks suck. Swap them out for 99 forks. Other than that they are great bikes. If you ride trails, you may want to do the 98 1st gear swap that no1clyde has posted.

Congrats :thumbsup:

Lets see some pics!

Here's mine.

KX250002.jpg

250003.jpg

I'll get pics as soon as I can.

My brother is about 210#, so I would bet that the springs are a bit light for him. What sucks about the forks?

torch

Search this forum for bladder forks. Believe it or not, 210 would be good for stock forks.

Actually, I own two 2000 KX250's. Great power. Forks suck. Swap them out for 99 forks. Other than that they are great bikes. If you ride trails, you may want to do the 98 1st gear swap that no1clyde has posted.

Congrats :thumbsup:

Lets see some pics!

Here's mine.

KX250002.jpg

250003.jpg

I'll get pics as soon as I can.

My brother is about 210#, so I would bet that the springs are a bit light for him. What sucks about the forks?

torch

I don't know if I would go as far to say the forks suck. KDX forks suck. The 2000's just aren't as good as some others.

Search this forum for bladder forks. Believe it or not, 210 would be good for stock forks.

What do those bladders do to the feel of the forks?

Also, will a rusty, 39 year old rider who has not ridden since he had an old YZ465 know the difference?

torch

The KYB bladder forks were a sort of "poor man's" imitation of Showa Twin Chambers. The idea is to keep the damping oil that runs through the valving seperated from the spring, tubes and bushings to minimize contamination. In reality, it doesn't work all that well, the oils do mix over time, unlike the sealed cartridge in twin chamber forks. But I have tried the forks with the bladder de-sealed, because I was told it would improve the high-speed damping action. I couldn't tell much difference, so I had the bladders re-banded. In all honesty, I'm perfectly happy with the forks in their stock configuration, with the only change being oil height. I added 5cc to each fork leg.

The KYB bladder forks were a sort of "poor man's" imitation of Showa Twin Chambers. The idea is to keep the damping oil that runs through the valving seperated from the spring, tubes and bushings to minimize contamination. In reality, it doesn't work all that well, the oils do mix over time, unlike the sealed cartridge in twin chamber forks. But I have tried the forks with the bladder de-sealed, because I was told it would improve the high-speed damping action. I couldn't tell much difference, so I had the bladders re-banded. In all honesty, I'm perfectly happy with the forks in their stock configuration, with the only change being oil height. I added 5cc to each fork leg.

Thank you. Knowing that makes me much less concerned about my brother.

torch

I am truly amazed! Not a single troll has come in here to tell me that my brother should have gotten a better bike for free!

torch

Here's mine.

KX250002.jpg

I dunno, I think you could put at least a couple more stickers on that bike if you try real hard! :D (J/K):eek:

Torch, a little late to the party but wow, that is a very cool attaboy indeed!:thumbsup:

jeeks you camera hound

jeeks you camera hound

At least you can tell w.t.f. I'm taking a picture of. :thumbsup:

I dunno, I think you could put at least a couple more stickers on that bike if you try real hard! :eek: (J/K):thumbsup:

Haha...funny. No more stickers, but I have some duct tape. hit-23.gif

at least you can tell w.t.f. I'm taking a picture of

:thumbsup::eek:

but I have some duct tape

lots of space on the inside of the forks!!

ah yeah, nice bike ct, go giv'er!!

dude your bro is huge! why didnt he get a bigger bike?

I am truly amazed! Not a single troll has come in here to tell me that my brother should have gotten a better bike for free!

torch

dude your bro is huge! why didnt he get a bigger bike?

Spoke too soon torch!!:thumbsup: