Cooling Fan XR650R

Ride my bike in some slow moving traffic more often than I would like to, but still...

Anyways, am thinking of going ahead and slapping on one of those cooling fans. Was quoted 150 quid, which is $300 Amero.

Is this a good price for a fan? AND do they work well? Are they easy to set up? Plus any other info regarding fans. I have noticed that the bikes have brackets in place for the fans by the radiator on the right side.

Thanks in advance

Paul

I bet that you can fiind something less expensive than that. Perhaps something used.

I have heard of people using the little computer fans. They don't blow that much air and they are not sealed against water, but they only cost $3-$5. At that you can afford to replace a few.

Martin,

LOL, sorry mate. A 'quid' is slang for a pound. Kindda like: 'buck' for dollar in the States.

Just spoke to a mechanic outside the shop yesterday. He said that they make fans for the bike, the price, blah, blah, blah. So I actually didn't see a particular item.

Quid is singular and plural. 1 quid, 2 quid, 3 quid, etc.

Computer fans ? Interesting. Where would you wire them to?

i didnt have much success with computer fans, if you set them up to suck air through the radiator like most are set up, it does nothing, if you put it in front somehow, it blocks more air than it blows. if anyone has had better success, what kind of fan did you use?

You can get computer fans that move quite a bit of air for about $20. You could just wire the fan to a switch on your bars, so you can turn it on and off when you please, or just wire it so it's on while the engine is running. Computer fans are 12 volts already, so they're set to go.

I've tried the computer fan route on my CR. While moisture didnt seem to bother the fan, it didnt like the vibration one bit. I think it only lasted three rides before it broke. It was a higher flow unit too. $20 a pop adds up quick.

You would need some sort of thermal switch and a suitable 12VDC power source.

If the plug in the lower tank of the right radiator has M16 threads then the thermal switch from the CRF250X cooling fan should fit. The whole cooling fan setup is pretty trick, but isnt cheap.

I would just jet the engine so it doesn't run so hot, wrap the pipe with heat tape, and shut the motor off if fully stopped for more than 5 min.

If you use a 'computer' fan, it must be all aluminum, with roller bearings. The basic plastic ones will not last.

Also, for a fan to do anything at low speeds, it must pull LOTS of air though. That means a very fast spinning fan, or, 'flapper' shrouds to create vacuum. I would think you would need at least (2) 5" to make a 20 degree difference.

Is there a bike wrecking yard anywhere in your area? Other wise have a look on ebay. What you want is a small fan off another bike, street bikes included. They're water proof and flow enough air. If you can find one, the unit off a DRZ 400 looks like a perfect fit. Although hard to find and likely expensive.

BRPspeedo009.jpg

I went to a wrecker and they had bins full of them already removed. Most are way to big as it's a tight fit so look for as small a fan as you can find. I bought 4 different ones for like $30 total. So no need to spend alot. Only 1 was small enough so think smaller while looking. I have no idea what bike it came off so sorry no part #'s.

It moves plenty of air and I chose to install it without a shroud so it would not block air flow to much in normal conditions when it's not needed. As you mentioned there is a bracket on the right side ment for the smog crap and it works perfect for mounting to. Although you'll have to make something up to mount it but no need to be a machinest to do it.

To operate it I bought a toggle switch with an LED indicator just so I know when I've got it on. A steel one works best as your less likely to break it flicking it on and off with gloves on. Water has not hurt it yet form washing or rain/mud holes. There are ways to install a temp switch but I'm happy just flicking the switch if the riding gets alittle to slow or stopped for to long. In the pic below you can see the red LED of the toggle.

BRPspeedo015.jpg

Very happy with how it works and been working for over 2 years now with out fail. I have a rewound stator but I used it for a summer with the stock stator and it would run it fine even at an idle. Use atleast the same gauge wire as the rest of the stock wiring and install an inline fuse so if something goes wrong with it you'll not harm anything else on the bike. Water has not bothered it and I have gone through plenty deep enough to get it wet. It is sealed and you could submerge it briefly without harm.

I could let the bike idle all day and it would not overheat now with the fan on. Infact it hasn't boiled over once since I've put it on. I could not say the same befor that.

Hope this helps some

Bosshog

• Like 1

Bosshog, great information. Cheers.

I could let the bike idle all day and it would not overheat now with the fan on. Infact it hasn't boiled over once since I've put it on. I could not say the same befor that.

The above is music to my ears !!

i have a CBR600RR and the fan on that is pretty small and really moves the air, if you havent already got one maybe check prices for one of them. There about 6" across and my bike is a 06 honda, just in case anyone finds one on ebay or something.

I would just jet the engine so it doesn't run so hot, wrap the pipe with heat tape, and shut the motor off if fully stopped for more than 5 min.

If you use a 'computer' fan, it must be all aluminum, with roller bearings. The basic plastic ones will not last.

Also, for a fan to do anything at low speeds, it must pull LOTS of air though. That means a very fast spinning fan, or, 'flapper' shrouds to create vacuum. I would think you would need at least (2) 5" to make a 20 degree difference.

you cant really "Jet to run cool" you have to jet accordingly to normal operating circumstances and not to sitting in traffic idling. Besides you would have to make it so rich that it wouldnt run for crap to have it run cool and it still wouldnt work. My fan from my cbr is all plastic and they are proven to work great so it doesnt have to be aluminum either, across a radiator thats about 18" wide and 12" tall its only a 6" circular fan and will drop 10 degrees in no time.