Sign in to follow this  

Throttle Cable Routing

Installing Throttle cables on a 450EXC...Do they just get squeezed between the gas tank and the frame? Seems like a hard fit putting the tank back on. Just have them running over the handlebar crossbar, and down between the tank and frame to the carb. Just curious..Thanks

Sounds like you have it right.

From the throttle tube it runs on the rider-side of the bars, along the frame between the tank and frame (above the rubber boss for the tank) then down to the carb. Be sure both cables are laying flat against the frame.

The OEM cables are a snug fit, so if your cables are any thicker it could be difficult to install the tank, and potentially bind the cable.

Thanks for the help...Very snug fit...wanted to double check myself....I really appreciate it..

You don't have to run a return cable off the throttle. Makes throttle slightly more responsive, smoother, cleans the handdle bars up and now you have a spare cable.:thumbsup:

Eh, not sure about the above advise, but I had the habit of hooking the throttle cables when I put my tank back on. It would pull them tight and annoy the hell out of me. An easy solution is to route them under the tank knobs on the frame below the tank and ziptie the throttle cables to the stock wiring harness down there. Keeps the cables snug against the frame and wont interfere with the tank.

-Lou

Eh, not sure about the above advise, but I had the habit of hooking the throttle cables when I put my tank back on. It would pull them tight and annoy the hell out of me. An easy solution is to route them under the tank knobs on the frame below the tank and ziptie the throttle cables to the stock wiring harness down there. Keeps the cables snug against the frame and wont interfere with the tank.

-Lou

I route em like you lou, under the tank "knobs" zip tied loosly to the frame.

as far as the return cable goes- lots of highly reguarded people run without, and this is debated over and over, as unnecesary to dangerous. there are good explanations for both. my thing is this- I keep the return- because I have fallen in clay/ mud that got into the throttle housing and required the return cable in order to close the throttle. Without it it would have been like cruise control, the fix is easy- clean the throttle! but its hard to do that in the middle of a 5 hour enduro. I tried rinsing it with my camelback water- but it requrired disassembly. SO I finished the race having to open and close the throttle- (usually it would snap back) If the return had not been there- I would not have been able to force shut with the pull cable - it would have just bent, SO thats why I personally keep it (just in case).

Speaking of routing...my cable are rubbing a serious grove in the bars. I thought I saw a bracket type thing to sorts keep the cable away from the bars. Has anyone else seen this? Forgot where I saw it.

Thanks

If you have an issue with the routing, Motion Pro makes some 3" longer cables so you can buy some room. They are part #10-0080 for my bike. Check for your particular number.

Speaking of routing...my cable are rubbing a serious grove in the bars. I thought I saw a bracket type thing to sorts keep the cable away from the bars. Has anyone else seen this? Forgot where I saw it.

Thanks

As far as this is concerned, you can make your own cable stay with a piece of fuel line and two zip ties. Look in my garage at my KTM's handlebars and you'll see I made one. It's pretty clean looking.

Actually, here's the link:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=40465

Watch out on the new 08 530's the vavle cover and the throttle cables have some sort of love connection. I have a deep grove in my head cover. Didn't notice it and caught it just in time. A zip tie will help keep them from getting fresh.