Sign in to follow this  

Anyone tried Engine Ice?

I have used it and it works fine.

Just make sure if you go to the store to buy a tester you get one for propylene glycol and not ethylene glycol.

I have used it and it works fine.

Just make sure if you go to the store to buy a tester you get one for propylene glycol and not ethylene glycol.

.......wha? Don't understand, please elaborate!!

Have used for years in 2-stroke bikes for hare scrambles with good results. In the gnarly stuff the added boil over protection does seem to work. At muddy national event last year one of the bikes had boiled half the engine ice out but what was left kept the bike going without any adverse affect. For normal use I believe regular coolant works fine, but if you need the little extra margin this gives you its worth the price.

I found a deal on engine ice several years ago and bought a bunch. It keeps my built bike cool even with putting around with the wife, not to mention when caked with mud.

.......wha? Don't understand, please elaborate!!

Regular green coolant is toxic and ethylene glycol based.

Engine Ice is non-toxic and propylene glycol based.

If you buy a regular coolant checker it will not give you proper readings. You must get a propylene glycol one. They are only like $5 at NAPA.

Ive used Engine Ice in four strokes in 100 plus weather slow, tight trails with no problems. As far as being better than regular coolants? depends what is regular I guess. As mentioned Engine Ice is a propylene glycol. I swithced to using ethylene glycol like Honda HP and Maxima because it is supposed to have a higher boiling point as well as being thinner and easier to circulate.