giving gas with the choke on, bad idea?

I'm new to riding so this question might be a dumb one....when you're starting your bike and you have full choke on, is it a bad idea to give it gas once it's running or to get it to turn over? My bike (CRF 230) starts a lot easier if i give it throttle. But my buddy tells me that giving it throttle when the choke is on is a really bad idea for any bike. I've seen people do it so not sure who to believe. Is it true?

i was riding last night, it was about 25 degrees here. i had to start it with full choke, even after 15 minutes of riding it was running a little lean so i pulled the choke back out and it made it run with much more power.

the "choke" is not a choke like the old cars have where it "choked" air from the engine in order to more fuel than air into the cylinder. a bike carb works backwards from that in the sense that rather than restricting air to accomplish that, it is an "enrichener" that gives more fuel

less fuel is bad, more fuel can't hurt ever

please explain how this is a no no:excuseme:

The 4t if properly set up only needs a few blips of the throttle,choke on and a good smooth push type of kick. Do not quick kick the bike like a cr80. Use your foot as a pusher not a kicker. Get it up to tdc and push that starter,dont slam it down. You will only get upset.?

what do you mean by "Dont give any 4 stroke gas if your kickin it".

The kickstarter will fly back up really fast and it you in the leg, thats only kick start though.. On my old ttr with electric start I used to give it some gas.

Don't give it gas when trying to start it, or even after it has been started.

Unless it needs it. ?

Some bikes don't want gas when starting, some do. I'm sure jetting and idle speed play a role here, but I don't know what that role is. Bikes equipped with an accelerator pump are more likely to be sensitive to any throttle at start time, but many of them like 1 or 2 turn of the throttle before starting (then no throttle when you start it).

theres no air coming into the carb when the chokes on

?

When you learn how a motorcycle works, you will agree with me that your statement is incorrect. All the 'choke' (really a fuel enrichener, rather than an actual choke) does is add a bit more fuel to the existing fuel/air mixture. The total air moving through the carb is not decreased in any way. In fact, as the throttle opens, *more* air is available to the engine.

so how come on many carbs i have seen before but i dunno about 2 stroke, when u put the choke on full it blocks the path from the airbox with a metal flap, im not sayin you are wrong but i have seen this on many motorbike carbs before