Sign in to follow this  

Getting a TTR 225

Hey guys, well im trading my 2001 CR80 for a 2002 TTR225 i want to know how much aftermarket there is for the 225 and what big differences there will be.

Also what are people opinions around here about the 225. How they perform, weight, handling, power. Im 5,5 145 pounds how do you think this bike will fit me. I've heard this thing weights like a tank but is it really that heavy. Compared to a YZ 125 in weight witch one is lighter. :thumbsup:

2002 CR-80R 143 Lbs

2008 YZ-125 190 Lbs

2008 YZ-450F 219 Lbs

2008 WR-450F 248 Lbs

200x TT-R225 259 Lbs

They are very heavy and have a ton of flywheel weight. (VERY slow revving, by comparison.)

wow thats incredibly heavy so from my CR80 its going to be a tank?? What things could i do to reduce the weight of the bike or is it just heavy by design. Im assuming the frame is steel??

But for the power is it enough for a guy like me 145 pounds. Compared to an 80 will i have more grunt torque or will it just be heavy and slow. This is the first 4 stroke bike im going to own.

ttr225 = these are entry level trail bikes,a short friend of mine bought one and kept up surprisenly well on it.i wouldnt be concerened about the weight. or the tame power output,they are fun bikes, just not a race bike.if your short and want something you can touch the ground on (and for cheap)go for it, they are great bikes. as for hopping it up theres probably not much available. BTW these are nothing like a 2stroke 80,torque curve will be relitively flat, this will make the bike seem slower than it is,but they got grunt to spare

Yeah thats a refresher. I mostly to trail riding and the 2 strokes are a real pain on the tight trails. Yeah i mostly hear that the weight is an issue on this bike but im just hoping its not like.......Wow.......i would like to be able to keep up to a 125 on trails, and i think its always good to have that extra power when you need it. But as for some racing, yeah this aint a race bike but its got a pretty good engine in it.

I'd try to find a better trade, or sell your bike and save up some money to get something else.

i wouldnt go for the 225 personally..its a beast..if anythign get a 230..or a 125 2 stroke

Yeah i mean im going to sell the 225 after a couple rides when i get it. I dont know why the guy would want to trade for my bike. If this trade does go well i can always go sell the bike for maybe 1700?? or so maybe higher. And end up making money.

Then i could go look for a real nice 125 2 stroke. Any advice or personal experiences on the 225 would be appreciated. Thanks for helpin me out guys.

man the 225 is NOT a good bike..the suspension blows.. its underpowered... its ugly..avoid it seriously

man the 225 is NOT a good bike..the suspension blows.. its underpowered... its ugly..avoid it seriously

^What he said I think you are going to make a mistake. My friend has an 85 and I couldn't keep up with him with my 230 when it was stock. Now my 230 is rejetted and it can keep up with the 85, but not with the new 125 I got. I wouldn't risk trading, your bike is better in a lot of areas the 225 isn't.

yea i vote for a ttr230 ttr250 or wr250f the 225 is one ugly pig but tough and durable, id keep the 80 if i were u and add flywheel weght and gear it down if u could affored any of the bikes listed above...

yeah so the guys showed up and he had this sort of I know everything type of attitude. He saw the oil drippin from the bike like any normal 2 stroke would do and immediately said hey thats a new 800 dollar top end woop dee doo. Im like..........yeah W/E. So after some negotiating they decided not to get the bike. Im kinda realeaved i didnt get his bike after sitting on it and getting a feel. ( ITS A FRIGGIN TANK )

So after this experience im glad i didnt get it, i totally realized what you guys are saying so i guess ill stick to the 2 strokes or just save up and get a TTR 250, WR, or ya kno one of those. But i gotta say.......that dude didnt realize what options he had besides the most expensive one. Thanks for talking me out of it guys. :thumbsup: would of been a mistake

Pretty much, it has some good stuff about it though. You WILL get bored with it if you are aggressive

yeah so the guys showed up and he had this sort of I know everything type of attitude. He saw the oil drippin from the bike like any normal 2 stroke would do and immediately said hey thats a new 800 dollar top end woop dee doo. Im like..........yeah W/E. So after some negotiating they decided not to get the bike. Im kinda realeaved i didnt get his bike after sitting on it and getting a feel. ( ITS A FRIGGIN TANK )

So after this experience im glad i didnt get it, i totally realized what you guys are saying so i guess ill stick to the 2 strokes or just save up and get a TTR 250, WR, or ya kno one of those. But i gotta say.......that dude didnt realize what options he had besides the most expensive one. Thanks for talking me out of it guys. :D would of been a mistake

You might want to think twice on the TTR-250, as well: 264.6 Lbs :eek:

You might want to consider the Kawasaki KDX-200/220. They're 2-strokes, relatively cheap and a hoot to ride. 222.6 Lbs, too. :thumbsup:

yeah i was looking at those to............anyone know about the suspension on the KDX's but also the power on those are a really big difference from my 80. But im already starting to wring the neck of this bike and i cant really keep up with my friends YZ125

-Matt