**PICS** - A Moab Tuneup Ride in So Cal with an Unruly Bunch!

LT and I decided to take the boys out for a little rock tuneup before (hopefully) heading up to Moab next month.

We headed out to an area that we both feel has the best hard-core technical rock trails in So Cal. LT took it easy on us today though as it's been awhile for the rest of us......

We hit a cool USMC convoy on the way out with lots of artillery, unfortunately, all Dustin snapped was a humvee..

01Convoy.jpg

Like I said, it's an unruly bunch, but they're family. What else can you do? :thumbsup: Dustin about to take a ride on "el diablo negro". LT going to have fun on DP's WZ250F, Garret on his trusty WR450.

05AnUnrulyBunch.jpg

LT heading up what he refers to as "Bill's Hill". Named for when I had to walk Gene's brand new xr4 down the rock ravine trying not to scratch it so he wouldn't know I took it up and slipped off the trail....oops. (Do I really need to say that it's steeper than it looks.) :ride:

02LTHeadedupBillsHill.jpg

Uh-Oh, LT's getting out of shape....

03AUh-Oh.jpg

And.....The hill wins on his first try. He did make it up on the 525, and almost with the WZ. I try to keep him humble though so I didn't take any of those pics. :-)

04CloseButNoCigar.jpg

We're into the tuneup now. Dustin wondering why in the #@%% there's so many rocks?

09YeahRocks.jpg

The crew at the top of the goat trails. No incidents reported....

08RockySingletrack.jpg

LT clearing a rock face followed by this stairstep. No problemo...

10LTClearingtheDouble-Step.jpg

Like father like son. Garrett clears it with ease....

11GarrettInPerfectForm.jpg

LT offering dp a little pep talk on the finer points of rock blasting insanity. I'm not sure Dustin's buying it.

12LTHelpingDP.jpg

Whatever he told him worked. Dustin went up and over with so little drama that I waited too long to snap the pic.

13DustinClears.jpg

I gotta admit that this hill kicked my butt. What I didn't know on the way up was that whatever mad skills I had before have turned into bad skills....lol. I bailed, but LT went for it.

14ALTHeadedUp.jpg

I feel better knowing he ended up off the bike though.... :-)

15ALTOffTheBike.jpg

More fun to come!

:eek::D

OK, back.

Just to do my ecological, green, granola eating, bird watching part.

Several massively large red tailed hawks in the rocks today. Awesome!!

16RedTailHawk.jpg

At this point I've got to complain.

I have to be the rider with the most trail miles logged with the fewest pictures of me. LT claims his camera is in the shop. Always. :thumbsup: Never any pics of me, but somehow I always manage to take some of him. Here he is airing it out in the rockpile....

18ALTAiringItOut.jpg

And another... (you're welcome)

18LTsHangTime.jpg

LT lured me into this trail, by saying "Hey, follow me"!!! :ride: When will I ever learn??? HA!!!! The joke ended up being on him though! He blasted up a huge near-verticle rock face just a littttttllllle too hard and ended up in these rocks. Maybe just a little too agressive there bud??? :lol: He bounced just like a beach ball. No joke. I remember thinking....he looks just like a beach ball. ***? Maybe next time! LOL At least he has a good attitude about it! I made a hard left at this point. :ride:

19WhatHappensWhenYouBounce.jpg

LT Heading down a canyon...

21LTHeadingIntoGulch.jpg

DP heading UP a canyon....

20DPHeadingUpACanyon.jpg

More fun in the rocks. LT choosing a line up a big stairstep.

23LTPreparingForABigStepup.jpg

In the rock maze....

22EnteringTheRockZone.jpg

LT just cruisin....

24LTCrusing.jpg

Down in the new little gulch we discovered....

26LTAtTheBottom.jpg

More Moab-esque rocks....

25RockyTrails.jpg

HEY! Keep those feet on the pegs will ya!!!

27LTClimbingOut.jpg

Good times!!

:eek::D:ride:

Thanks for post up the ride Bill. I love the shot of Garrett whealing up the step.

I can hear Walt and the boys warming up with some good wise cracks about those nice get-off pics you took of me.:thumbsup: THANKS A LOT! I owe you when I get my camera back.

Sorry about not being able to take any pics, but my camera really is in the shop. I should have it back in time for Moab though if we go in April.

I think you all rode pretty well for not having gotten out on two wheels for a while.

Thanks again for the pics.

MOAB MOAB MOAB MOAB MOAB

Thanks for post up the ride Bill. I love the shot of Garrett whealing up the step.

I can hear Walt and the boys warming up with some good wise cracks about those nice get-off pics you took of me.:( THANKS A LOT! I owe you when I get my camera back.

Sorry about not being able to take any pics, but my camera really is in the shop. I should have it back in time for Moab though if we go in April.

I think you all rode pretty well for not having gotten out on two wheels for a while.

Thanks again for the pics.

MOAB MOAB MOAB MOAB MOAB

Larry would I make fun of you for crashing? :D I mean it's not like I don't get to see it all the time. :o:p :p :p :p For anyone who doesn't know I crash every bit as much as Larry so I really shouldn't be making any fun of anyone. :ride::cry::eek:

MOAB MOAB MOAB MOAB MOAB I WISH :ride: I WISH :lol: I WISH :ride: I WISH :ride: Take lots of pictures I'll have to live it through you guys. :thumbsup: Man I hate it when work interfere's with riding. :eek:

Larry would I make fun of you for crashing? :D I mean it's not like I don't get to see it all the time. :(:o:p :p :p For anyone who doesn't know I crash every bit as much as Larry so I really shouldn't be making any fun of anyone. :ride::cry::eek:

MOAB MOAB MOAB MOAB MOAB I WISH :ride: I WISH :lol: I WISH :ride: I WISH :ride: Take lots of pictures I'll have to live it through you guys. :thumbsup: Man I hate it when work interfere's with riding. :eek:

No guarantee we will be going this year either, but we shall see.

Found some new little passes near the "v"rock pass area as you can see in the pics. Also found another pass that takes you over to the west side of the range. I went to the top of it, then came back down the same way. Looks like it goes all the way through though, but it might get a little crazy on the way down the back side.

....the boys warming up with some good wise cracks about those nice get-off pics you took of me.:D THANKS A LOT!

You're welcome!

Sorry about not being able to take any pics, but my camera really is in the shop.

Riiiiight. Sure thing.

Not quite sure how to take that...... :thumbsup::ride:

Man I hate it when work interfere's with riding. :eek:

Yeah, me too. Almost as bad as when life interfere's with riding....

Looks like it goes all the way through though, but it might get a little crazy on the way down the back side.

I suggest bringing 75-100 feet of rope. You should be OK. :lol:

Found some new little passes near the "v"rock pass area as you can see in the pics. Also found another pass that takes you over to the west side of the range. I went to the top of it, then came back down the same way. Looks like it goes all the way through though, but it might get a little crazy on the way down the back side.

Yeah I didn't recognize a couple of the trails. :thumbsup: As far as the one that might get a little crazy on the way down let's save it for when we have the NorCal and the San Diego boys joining us. :D They're saying they want to be tested so let's test them. :ride: :ride: :cry::eek::( Of course now that I've said that I'll be the one that's on the side of the trail :ride::lol::ride: looking for help. :o

BTW Bill thanks for posting the report I enjoyed it. :eek:

Just got back from Moab on Friday. Part of a 3 week-battery recharge-high altitude-beer infested-motorhead mania trip. I rode a 240 horse Turbo R1 powered snowmobile, watched as my friend did back flips on a mountain bike, etc.

Hope your trip is a blast. I LOVE that place and the surrounding areas are even BETTER!!! SHHH!

Just got back from Moab on Friday. Part of a 3 week-battery recharge-high altitude-beer infested-motorhead mania trip. I rode a 240 horse Turbo R1 powered snowmobile, watched as my friend did back flips on a mountain bike, etc.

Hope your trip is a blast. I LOVE that place and the surrounding areas are even BETTER!!! SHHH!

Got any pics? Sounds like it was awesome!

Nice report Bill! We "almost" went along with you guys... to the point that I was putting new parts on the KLX on Friday afternoon, but had a family thing... mere miles from where you were riding!

Anyway - glad to see you's guys got out and had a great day!

C h e e r s,

gene

Nice report Bill! We "almost" went along with you guys... to the point that I was putting new parts on the KLX on Friday afternoon, but had a family thing...

Next time - OK? Love to ride with you again.

bp

Got any pics? Sounds like it was awesome!

I do and I will post 'em up quick. No ride pics though...the guys I ride are jerks about pics and when the camera comes out they drop the hammer. I never even bring the camera anymore only the phone camera...so the pics I have are kinda crappy.

No ride pics though...the guys I ride are jerks about pics and when the camera comes out they drop the hammer.

Two words: Helmet Cam!!!! Get the goods on them. Put that baby into record and drop in behind them and start pushing them till things get interesting. Adjust the angle of the helmetcam just a little high and you'll have lots of good entertaining video to post!!!! :thumbsup:

Back when I was racing rally cars I always wanted a good in-car set up, but never found the right combo. I was gona use for the the dirtbike as well. I bet there are good durable units with enough memory now.

The Kodak Courage thing is kinds funny...if there is a jump or a berm or whatever...there is a lineup to be on film...but if ya just want a group shot with some scenery in the background...FORGET ABOUT IT!!!