Sign in to follow this  

2008 WR250R Test Ride Today

As a follow up to my look over I posted a week or so ago, I had the opportunity to go do my Yamaha Dealer and take the R out for about oh, just under a 1/2 hour.

background on my impressions:

Garage full of bikes, in fact two WR250f (one is a 290 now)

I run a CRF270x

my dual sport is a KTM 990 Adventure S blah blah blah.

6'3"

bout oh....230ish so not a really perfect fit for the quarter liter four strokes, but they are fun!

Starting

typical FI turn the key on, fuel system primes then hit the happy button.

Quiet and easy starting and running

Clutch, magura easy.

soft off the bottom, nothing like the WRs or my X in terms of torque right off idle. Snapping up the front end would be a bit more work than the off road types.

But.......................Once you get things spinnin past oh....3500-4000 it pulls pretty nice and giggles start setting in. Getting up to posted speed limits through 45 mph was very easy, and there faster than you would think. Check the speedo and wow.....had no idea I was going that quick.

I figure the soft bottom of the power is more due to being choked up on both intake and exhaust more than anything, but who knows.

Granted I didnt hammer it, new motor and all, but it revved very freely.

throttle response was now, no hesitation, no lag and extremely smooth, like an electric drill.

I tried to bog it, two gears high, like my CR 500 and while it didnt rip and snort, it never hesitated or bogged when I wacked the throttle, it just pulled as best the bike could with my phat butt on it. I always felt my CRF-X was the smoothest power of any 1/4l bike I have ridden until today. Butter smooth, no lurching, jumping etc even if you dorked up throttle and gear choice. FI rocks

:thumbsup:

compression braking, normal with the current crop of 250f. Nothing spectacular or out of the ordinary other than on the pavement you simply have more traction and feel the engine braking more through the rear tire friction.

Handling

This is where the real grins set in.

Up on the pegs, its a dirt bike with blinkers and a plate and a flickable one. Its not a toad with a high fender.

I had NO impression or idea it pushes 300 pounds with fuel either standing or sitting and pushing it in corners etc....

Bike feels lighter than the boys WRs. Weight is carried well.

On the road you could pitch it into the corners and it was stable, predictable and didnt fade, shift or do anything strange at all. Way more stable than some "dirt bikes" I have ridden on the street and a whole lot better than a lot of DP bikes. Very nimble and light on the bars, but no shakes, no vague feel. Hard on the brakes a few times, very stable, no tugging on the bars, tracked straight and true.

Brakes are typical yamaha and strong. Zero complaints.

Shifting was much smoother than the two WRs until they got broke in and ran good slippery oil we run. Very impressive tranny both in feel when you shift and smoothness and amount of force necessary to change gears.

After I ran it for oh...10-15 minutes and started feeling comfy, it was a total hoot. No, no where near the power of my KTM...sheeesh...

:eek:

but the smooth motor that just seemed to keep pulling and reving, shifted almost too smooth (if thats possible) and the handling with the way the bike carried its weight.......well when I took it back to the dealer I told the rep it was almost too much fun for a 1/4 liter DP bike and still be legal.

:ride:

For its purpose and target, I think Yamaha hit a pretty solid wack out of the gate with this bike.

You look at the maintenance intervals, typical Yamaha build quality, and the hop up potential for this little bike.....wow....if you want a nice smaller DP that you could run single track with all day and do nothing but grin.....well take a peek at the Yamaha.

For me in order to run it hard the way it is now and have a total hoot off road as well as pavement getting to the single track....

new blinkers in the rear...stock are too big, will get ripped off first ride.

Skid plate.

MSR mirrors

Radiator on the right is pretty well protected, but depending on how challenged you are in keeping the rubber down, after market will have the single guards out there soon, if they dont already.

Tires.

Hand guards...

then Id go run the stink out of it and probably get 50 MPG in the process.

Yep, Id like to save my pennies in order to have one of these join the herd.

TR or Athena will have a 300ish kit for it, FMF already has the silencer/SA for it (Q4 etc) to loose a few pounds that are carried up high.....

and honestly......for a swiss army knife of a bike, that has a plate and can make you stupid grin on the trails...kind of hard to beat.

Just remember it aint an F, wasnt designed to be.

But dont be surprised if you get passed by one of these on the trails, it will simply take a better rider, cause the bike is more than up to the task.

:lol:

HR

:D

:ride:

Thanks for the review. Just curious......what is the shift pattern? Last bike I rode was a old honda cr 80 I think...not sure, it was my dads when he was a kid. That was one down 3 up.

Thanks for the review. Just curious......what is the shift pattern? Last bike I rode was a old honda cr 80 I think...not sure, it was my dads when he was a kid. That was one down 3 up.

:thumbsup:

love it so far. Still breaking it in (100 miles), but this is going to be a great bike.

Thanks for the write-up!

AdiosTony - what other bikes have you ridden? Are you comparing with similar, smaller or larger bikes? Just curious.

Dean

AdiosTony - what other bikes have you ridden? Are you comparing with similar, smaller or larger bikes? Just curious.

Dean

ive ridden YZ250's, YZ250f's, CRF250's, CRF450's, KLX250's, and a bunch of other bikes including ninjas and a suzuki-davidson.

now this bike a bigger then the others, it weigh more (makes sense, after all it has a battery, the comp, a shit load of sensors and a bunch of othe stuff), it has less power then other bikes, but it has to do with the weight and the diff power train (which i dont mind because it means less maintenance). it still has enough power for me to lift the front end up, im 5 10 and weigh 200lb's.

Thanks Tony. Nice to see you have a wide array of experience and are still happy with the WRR. Ups my confidence level.

Dean

Thanks Tony. Nice to see you have a wide array of experience and are still happy with the WRR. Ups my confidence level.

Dean

yup. and im glamis bound in about an hour! just waiting on a friend.

hope it does well. pretty confident it will. ill make sure to get a lot of picks