Sign in to follow this  

Bike died today

Ok, so my new to me 04 DRZ400s is giving me issues today. I was supposed to go on a ride tomorrow, so I went out the start it up and check oil and the usuals. Ran it on the stands for 4 min, shut it off at the key, checked oil it was good. Turn key, start bike...click. Nothing, battery's dead. Strikes me as odd, but ok. So I put it on the quick charge for an hour, bring it back out, starts up first try. Shut it off, hit the start again, click. I know that the quick charge is no where near as good as the trickle charge but i just wanted to check it. So I charge again, bring it out, start it, and as soon as it starts disconnect the battery. Keeps running...it should, but lights go out. So my question is, shouldn't they stay on if the gen is working ok, or does disconnecting the battery kill the electrical loop? Tomorrow morning I'll be starting Nobel's Electrical trouble shooting checklist, but just wanted to bounce some ideas off some of you guys. My other concern is that a couple of weeks ago I pulled off the left side cover and there was a good amount of oil in it, maybe even 1/4 of a quart. Is this something that could damage the generator? I mean there's not acually a spark in a generator it's just an induced voltage in the windings so I wouldn't think it would matter, but I may be horribly wrong here. I did go ahead and drain it all out and change the oil, and haven't found any more in there. So that's my rant... any ideas?:thumbsup:

the magneto is a wet design, cooling and such,, Normal.

elec issues, only one way to do it.. Start at the beginning and check/test everything. So, Battery, every connection, then the elec test in Nobles write up. The one thing you skip, will be the one thing causing the issue,,, you’ll thinks it's something else, replace a part only to find it was really the XYZ....

Disconnecting the battery with the engine running is a great way to blow voltage regulators.

How so? The battery is in parrallel with the rectifier, so removing it shouldn't affect the circuit. I'm not doubting you, I'll guarantee you have much more experience with this bike, I'm just curious what I'm not seeing in the schematic.

Regulator sees voltage go to zero and goes bonkers. Not a big deal in the breaker point style regulators of the '70's but modern ones don't like it, or so I've heard.

Have I actually disconnected the battery on a modern system to learn first hand? Nope. :thumbsup:

Have I actually disconnected the battery on a modern system to learn first hand? Nope. :thumbsup:

Probably a good philosophy:thumbsup:

3 pin stator wire between pins 1.2 ohms, which according to manual is good, any pin to ground 100 ohms. This can't be good.

I thought that any stator pin to ground was supposed to show open, otherwise you're shorting to ground?

Been a few years since I fuly troubleshot a M/C charging system.

I thought that any stator pin to ground was supposed to show open, otherwise you're shorting to ground?

Been a few years since I fuly troubleshot a M/C charging system.

That's what I"m thinking also, and I belive Nobel made the satement that pin to ground short and you're done. I'm still trying to find the thread agian though.

Ok, o current leak, regulated volatage is 12.32, continuity good between wires, all three appear shorted to ground, generator no load is 75V(guessing at 5k rpm) checking rectifier next, but one wire on two wire lead is cracked and looks blackened. Ideas? the shortend stator and 75v no load makes no sense to me.

Ok, so I figured it out. My stators bad, there's no getting around it, but she's still putting out some voltage, Problem being, it appears that my rectifier is bad so it looks like all the voltage that the gen is producing is just getting dumped to ground. I check ac voltage off the stator plug with it disconnected from the rectifier, and had good voltage, plug it and check from back of plug....nada. So I have a new stator and rectifier on order.

Bermudacat it would appear I've tested you're theory for you, and you are correct sir. :thumbsup: