Sign in to follow this  

im confused!!

umm im abit confused ere aye lol, ive always just ridden old crap bikes..

so with a yz250 is there 2 stroke type and a 4 stroke?? :S

soz for my noob'ness.

yea, 250 two stokes are faster than 250f's, they're in the class with the 450 four stroke (or atleast were)

i wouldnt really say they are faster. yes they are faster in certain parts of the track and a four stroke is faster in other parts of the track. You get a pro rider, and have him ride a 250 two stroke and a four stroke and the lap times would be about the same.

i wouldnt really say they are faster. yes they are faster in certain parts of the track and a four stroke is faster in other parts of the track. You get a pro rider, and have him ride a 250 two stroke and a four stroke and the lap times would be about the same.

i guess your right, i meant acceleration wise and they have a more powerful powerband. have you ever ridden like a 90's or 80's 4 stroke? they suck. 4 strokes came a long way, now they are becoming if not already superior:ride:

I agree ,just in the last few years they have learned how to get alot more horses out of the motors. thats why ama changed 08 rules to 250f race with 250 2strokes there just about equal.

I agree ,just in the last few years they have learned how to get alot more horses out of the motors. thats why ama changed 08 rules to 250f race with 250 2strokes there just about equal.

soon they'll be completely superior:applause:

yea, 250 two stokes are faster than 250f's, they're in the class with the 450 four stroke (or atleast were)

False. My 03 yz250f and friends 05 yz250 are almost dead nuts equal. I went to 3 nationals last year and only 1 two-smoke was there racing pro-am, and he came in dead last. Thats the reason they are classing the 250's altogether now, people finally realized how slow they are.

well, a 250f will have to hit like 15 thousand rpms to be able to make the power of a 250. and thats only cause a 250 has fuel that is mixed with oil which has a low thermal energy. a four stroke has potential, but at what cost? reliablity, YOU WILL HAVE TO REBUILD AFTER EVERY 10 HOURS if we made a stock 250f has the power of a 250 In my humble opinion

well, a 250f will have to hit like 15 thousand rpms to be able to make the power of a 250. and thats only cause a 250 has fuel that is mixed with oil which has a low thermal energy. a four stroke has potential, but at what cost? reliablity, YOU WILL HAVE TO REBUILD AFTER EVERY 10 HOURS if we made a stock 250f has the power of a 250 In my humble opinion

The yz250f is close at 13,500. Stock 250f is 31-34 hp. What is a 250 2-stroke? The power and torque are much smoother and more consistent on a 4-stroke also. And I have ridden both and straight-line raced to compare both, and they are pretty equal stock for stock. And it costs lots of money to make either one fast. Reliability goes out the window in either case also. And on a track, four-stroke is king, period.

four stokes suck over whoops, engine braking. each bike has its ups and down, CEB or controlled engine braking clutch can somewhat remedy it.

four strokes have a ton of potential, but a CR250R comes with close to 50hp i believe, not to sure, but its definately alot more than 33.5rwhp of a yz250f

four strokes also have the capability to pump the engine full of air and gas, with high velocity intake, a 2 stroke will just have it pass through the exhaust port because they are open at the same time, so you can theoretically force feed a 4 stroke over a 2t.

four strokes imo are funner to ride, smoother, stop faster, sound better.

but are heavier, don't like to go over whoops as fast, jump worse

like i said, each bike has its UPS and its DOWNS

four stokes suck over whoops, engine braking. each bike has its ups and down, CEB or controlled engine braking clutch can somewhat remedy it.

four strokes have a ton of potential, but a CR250R comes with close to 50hp i believe, not to sure, but its definately alot more than 33.5rwhp of a yz250f

four strokes also have the capability to pump the engine full of air and gas, with high velocity intake, a 2 stroke will just have it pass through the exhaust port because they are open at the same time, so you can theoretically force feed a 4 stroke over a 2t.

four strokes imo are funner to ride, smoother, stop faster, sound better.

but are heavier, don't like to go over whoops as fast, jump worse

like i said, each bike has its UPS and its DOWNS

First of all, engine braking is a huge advantage of a four-stroke not a disadvantage. It helps you to slow down without using the actual hydraulic brakes on the bike.

Second, I don't know where you came up with 50 hp? Sounds a little on the high side, maybe someone can chime in with an actual.

Thirdly, you need to do some research on weights. According to Yamaha's website the 08 yz250 weighs in at 212 lbs and the yz250f weighs in at 204 lbs. That means the four-stroke is 8 lbs lighter.

Whoops take practice with any bike, whether it be an 85 or 450.

You need to clarify how they "jump worse". In what aspect?

The 4-stroke has nearly every advantage over a 2-stroke, in nearly every aspect.

OK, first of all, my friend gets all his bikes dyno'd by K&N, and he told me 50hp. thats why I said i believe, but not sure.

a 250 is in the 450f class, don't put a 250f and 250 in at same weight cause the 250 2 stroke has a stonger chassis to support to more weight, as well as beefier internals, and stonger clutch.

engine braking is good for cornering, thats why I blow him away in mountain rides. but over whoops, you can let go of your throttle and not slow down, which IS A HUGE ADVANTAGE.

a 450f weighs more than a 250 and thus gravity pulls it down and requires more speed to clear the same jump

a 125 weights less than a 250f, i believe going by yamaha last year, about 195.

a four stroke is superior imo, because it has more advantages than disadvantages, and that is why Doug Henry beat the 250's with a YZ400

I'm not dogging on anything, but if yamaha made a 250f have the same power as a 250 2t, they would beef up everything and it would weigh more, cams, valves, no 2 big holes in the cylinder called ports.

I am just trying to not be on sided, can you say the same?

I hate 2smoker, and love the 4 stroke engine. when doing wheelies, if i go up to much or too fast, engine braking has kept my butt from coming off.

4 strokes have tons of potential that we havn't seen yet, but we are in for a shock, because it seems, imo, that the 2smokes are out and only 4 strokes, and all the companies resources will be in one place.

if 2 strokes didn't jump better, also no dedicated oil system so if you go upsidedown the oil doesn't go away from the oil pump and just suck air, they would be used for FMX. Worlds only double backflip was on a 2 stroke

OK, first of all, my friend gets all his bikes dyno'd by K&N, and he told me 50hp. thats why I said i believe, but not sure.

a 250 is in the 450f class, don't put a 250f and 250 in at same weight cause the 250 2 stroke has a stonger chassis to support to more weight, as well as beefier internals, and stonger clutch.

engine braking is good for cornering, thats why I blow him away in mountain rides. but over whoops, you can let go of your throttle and not slow down, which IS A HUGE ADVANTAGE.

a 450f weighs more than a 250 and thus gravity pulls it down and requires more speed to clear the same jump

a 125 weights less than a 250f, i believe going by yamaha last year, about 195.

a four stroke is superior imo, because it has more advantages than disadvantages, and that is why Doug Henry beat the 250's with a YZ400

I'm not dogging on anything, but if yamaha made a 250f have the same power as a 250 2t, they would beef up everything and it would weigh more, cams, valves, no 2 big holes in the cylinder called ports.

I am just trying to not be on sided, can you say the same?

I hate 2smoker, and love the 4 stroke engine. when doing wheelies, if i go up to much or too fast, engine braking has kept my butt from coming off.

4 strokes have tons of potential that we havn't seen yet, but we are in for a shock, because it seems, imo, that the 2smokes are out and only 4 strokes, and all the companies resources will be in one place.

if 2 strokes didn't jump better, also no dedicated oil system so if you go upsidedown the oil doesn't go away from the oil pump and just suck air, they would be used for FMX. Worlds only double backflip was on a 2 stroke

Ok, I believe the 50 hp. No problem there.

250's are all being classed together I am coming to find out. It is new for this year in AMA. There is a write-up here on the forum. HERE IT IS

Stronger chassis, internals, and clutch? Where is the evidence to back this?

Letting go of throttle on whoops? What are you talking about?

Just to get this whole weight thing down.

08 yz125 - 190 lbs.

08 yz250f - 204 lbs.

08 yz250 - 212 lbs.

08 yz450f - 219 lbs.

I don't think weight or gravity or anything of the like has anything to do with it. The weight of a 250 2stroke versus 450 is very close, 7 lbs. And if you hit a jump on a 450f with the same speed and throttle that you do on a 250-2stroke, then you have a death wish.

I am in agreement as far as FMX goes. There is no replacement for the 250 two-stroke in FMX.

but, if you make a 250f have 50hp, it will need those upgrades. it only makes 34hp max stock. i'm not disputing the weight. just saying, it will weigh more if the beef it up to a 250 2stroke power.

thats cool and all that 250f's can compete with 250's, but they are still underpowered. but some tracks have whoops that go on to a turn so you have to throttle down, you can't just fly through turns at full throttle with your bike bouncing around previously entering it.

if engine braking wasn't a big deal, then riders would pay FMF 1000 dollars for a clutch to counter act it. just my thought though, I actually like it.

I would love it if Yamaha made a 50hp 250f, but they won't, not for a while. you can mod one out to a hella lot though and get close to a 250 power, which is why i think they are allowing them in.

THERE IS SO SO SO MUCH POTENTIAL ON FOUR STROKES

and the world will see, when mx lites and mx merge completely, because if it only took 7 years for the 250f to be in the same race as a 250 2t, then how long until they allow them into the pin with the 450f's. 250's can rev like a mother and its possible to gain the same power if a company didn't care about anything but their 250f's.

these bikes are crazy powerful, you know that a stock yz has 130 horse power per litre, a race bike with 40hp has 160 horse power per litre.

but, with increased power, come increased structural regididy, otherwise they would just use a 250f frame for the 450's to save weight, again, this is all im my own dome, and just speculation

out at glamis, my friend brandon jumped his CR250R 5th gear pinned, flat out, off a dune, sucker flew so far and high. crazy, he told me, I thought he had a death wish

250f's are already faster than 450's. Look at Villopoto at the motocross of nations. No 450 in the world could catch him on his 250f. And you do agree with me that a 450 is faster than a 250 2-stroke right? You can preach all you want about 250 2-strokes having more power, but on the track, they are nonexistent today.

250f's are already faster than 450's. Look at Villopoto at the motocross of nations. No 450 in the world could catch him on his 250f. And you do agree with me that a 450 is faster than a 250 2-stroke right? You can preach all you want about 250 2-strokes having more power, but on the track, they are nonexistent today.

What, NO, a 450f has more peak power, and more usuable power, a yz400f beat 250s at the hands of Doug henry, love his graphics kit.

250 2strokes are obsolete and are barley being manufactured.

and a 450f in a stait line is faster than a 250f, but on a twisty trac, the usable power could be the same and the upper hand going to the lighter more manueveralbe bike

What, NO, a 450f has more peak power, and more usuable power, a yz400f beat 250s at the hands of Doug henry, love his graphics kit.

250 2strokes are obsolete and are barley being manufactured.

and a 450f in a stait line is faster than a 250f, but on a twisty trac, the usable power could be the same and the upper hand going to the lighter more manueveralbe bike

Obviously this was the case for RV

yeah, some guy with a super modded 450x dragged me, because i beat an unmodded 450x and he wouldn't stand for it, after he barely beat me, I challenged him to a race up the mountains, and havn't heard from him since, this was last august. haha. 450's weight over a 250f's is quite noticeable though, even though its a bit more, you get used to the lightness of your bike and hitting whoops with a heavier bike throws the "CHEE" off.

that might also be a big reason, along with potential of a 250f, for allowing the 2t vs the 'F'. PEOPLE SHALL BOW DOWN BEFORE THE ALMIGHTY 250 FOUR STROKE, and they will say, little bore, you are my master, how may my gas guzzling ass be of service, and you shall point to the melting pot and say, I need more accessories

Just my 2 cents worth,Ive had both but think the 4's have MORE USABLE POWER and even if theres alot more maintenance they are just more ridable